UPDATE: Doctor Who Short Hints at Olympic Surprise

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Since when can The Doctor directly hurt Weeping Angels with his sonic? Makes no sense.
Fanfiction.

Written by children

You will see a lot of things directly stated to be impossible if you dive into the bowls of ff.net, like I have.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
So a weeping angel manages to get into the middle of (and catches up with a guy running in) a stadium in front of tens of thousands of people how exactly?
An event being filmed and broadcast to millions is a good way to multiply them and doom the entire planet (because apparently digitally storing an image of a weeping angel = storing a new weeping angel).
Such enormous irreconcilable plotholes for a 3 minute short. I know it was written by kids but if you take that short as-is i don't see how anyone could write a solution to those.
Not that i'll be watching the conclusion to that anyway or any doctor who until matt smith is gone.

May 5, 2010
Apparently, people really don't read the OP. It was written by a small child, people! Considering that, it's actually pretty fantastic. People nit-picking it should feel incredibly silly.

Anyway, I REALLY wish Tennant was running the torch, but you know what? They guy went from being a massive Doctor Who fan, to becoming what is widely considered to be one of the best incarnations of the Doctor ever, and then he married the daughter of a previous Doctor-incarnation, who happens to be smoking hot.

I'm fairly sure that if he got any luckier the universe might explode from sheer unprobability.

May 5, 2010
baconsarnie said:
So a weeping angel manages to get into the middle of (and catches up with a guy running in) a stadium in front of tens of thousands of people how exactly?
An event being filmed and broadcast to millions is a good way to multiply them and doom the entire planet (because apparently digitally storing an image of a weeping angel = storing a new weeping angel).
Such enormous irreconcilable plotholes for a 3 minute short. I know it what written by kids but if you take that short as-is i don't see how anyone could write a solution to those.
Not that i'll be watching the conclusion to that anyway or any doctor who until matt smith is gone.
I feel the need to inform you that you just spent quite a bit of time nit-picking the work of a small child. You can begin feeling silly and/or embarrassed whenever you like. Maybe you should read the OP a little more carefully next time.

EDIT: Heh heh. Whoops. This is awkward.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I think we should place statues (?) of Weeping Angels up around London during the event to scare the shit out of the tourists.

That'd be funny.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
baconsarnie said:
Such enormous irreconcilable plotholes for a 3 minute short. I know it what written by kids but if you take that short as-is i don't see how anyone could write a solution to those.
I feel the need to inform you that you just spent quite a bit of time nit-picking the work of a small child. You can begin feeling silly and/or embarrassed whenever you like. Maybe you should read the OP a little more carefully next time.

EDIT: Heh heh. Whoops. This is awkward.
Don't fret too much.
Knowing it was written by kids isn't really coverage for nit-picking, i just can't help myself, and when the nits are that big ...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
WMDogma said:
It might be another month or so before we get to the Series 7 premiere of Doctor Who
I should point out that series seven will air on either Saturday 25th August or Saturday 1st September
The possible airdates come after the announcement that Episode One of Series 7 will be getting its premiere at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International TV Festival in August.
The festival, which takes place between 23rd-25th August 2012, will be screening the new Dalek episode, as well as hosting a Sherlock Masterclass led by Showrunner, Steven Moffat, Co-creator, Mark Gatiss, and Producer / Wife of The Moff, Sue

So will be longer than a month unfortunately.

Also, already been posted but Smith will run with the torch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-Carry-the-Olympic-Torch

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
brunothepig said:
Saviordd1 said:
I'm sorry, but did anyone else find that mini-episode...well just horrible?

It really felt like a fan fiction, and not the good kind.
I agree. Yes, I realise it was written by children. I don't care. That doesn't make it less bad. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just pointing something out. The whole thing felt awkward. The news about the Doctor doing the torch run (maybe) is pretty cool, although I too would prefer it were Tennant, for continuity purposes.
I feel the same as you. I understand why it's bad but saying its written by children doesn't make it any better.

Personally, I'd like to see Smith and Tennant both carrying the Torch.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
I know tennant is probable one of the best doctors to date. But still I think people should just give matt Smith a chance because he really is a fantastic doctor. And who could say no to a man wearing a bowtie, also amazing dance skills.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Well, yes, it's a bit of a shame that Tennant isn't doing it, but come on, guys...it's still the Doctor!

Also, to those of you nitpicking the video, shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. When your child hands you a drawing, are you going to say, "Well, ducks aren't really green and a horse's legs are actually much longer, and there are no palm trees on a farm."?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
God I hope this is non-cannon, because it kinda goes against several established event/facts in previous Doctor Who stories.
The 11th doctor couldn't go to the 2012 Olympics because it would be crossing into his own time line (being that the 10th Doctor was the one who ended up lighting the Olympic flame in the episode "Fear Her").
Also aren't the Weeping angels supposed to be unkillable? I mean they go out of there way establishing that the angels can only be weakened from lack of feeding or Quantum locked by being looked at. but they can never be killed, which is what makes they such a frightening enemy.
Come to think of it how the fuck could a Weeping Angel possibly chase a touch bearer? I mean not only is he being recorded/broadcasted worldwide BUT chances are there are crowds of people also watching, The thing wouldn't be able to move.

Edit: having re-watched it I noticed that it was written by school children, so I guess I can be more forgiving

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
jecht35 said:
I know tennant is probable one of the best doctors to date. But still I think people should just give matt Smith a chance because he really is a fantastic doctor. And who could say no to a man wearing a bowtie, also amazing dance skills.
Mm, Mat Smith does pull off a good doctor, he's almost completely childish in his set up, even extending to the way he displays various emotions in a manner like they're completely new to him as a kid would. Saying that though, for me Smith is good but the episodes around him arn't as good compared to Tennants era, a bit too much deus ex machina, I think, like there's never any real sense of danger when the big shit comes down(SPOILER:
like the doctor escaping from the pandorica straight away), but then that's the fault of the writer.

OT: Yeah I know it was written by children but c'mon, Weeping angel through a crowded stadium, then the doctor just blows him up straight away, what's going on there?

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Mm, Mat Smith does pull off a good doctor, he's almost completely childish in his set up, even extending to the way he displays various emotions in a manner like they're completely new to him as a kid would. Saying that though, for me Smith is good but the episodes around him arn't as good compared to Tennants era, a bit too much deus ex machina, I think, like there's never any real sense of danger when the big shit comes down(SPOILER:
like the doctor escaping from the pandorica straight away), but then that's the fault of the writer.

OT: Yeah I know it was written by children but c'mon, Weeping angel through a crowded stadium, then the doctor just blows him up straight away, what's going on there?
I almost completely agree with you about the episodes not being up to par, but then again there have been a lot of really clever episodes in there as well. I just think that matt getting better at being the doctor; so maybe the writers are get better at well writing, hopefully by next season. Also even I cringed at all the flaws in logic with that short, but still its just a kids fan fic at least let them enjoy there horible creation getting made.

Captcha: have fun, I think this is fitting.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Well, yes, it's a bit of a shame that Tennant isn't doing it, but come on, guys...it's still the Doctor!

Also, to those of you nitpicking the video, shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. When your child hands you a drawing, are you going to say, "Well, ducks aren't really green and a horse's legs are actually much longer, and there are no palm trees on a farm."?
Shame? Really?
Normally i wouldn't react to an offhand scornful criticism of a group that included me but for some reason i feel i can't let this slide.
I will admit that as a short written by kids it holds up well, they deserve the credit given to them.
Having done childrens work i can't attest that it is possible to be a bit critical of a child's artistic work and not stomp all over their dreams, what you must also remember is that this was made by the BBC and no-one involved there will cry because a group of nasty internet villains (as you seem to have cast us) pointed out some glaring plot-holes that they will have to fill.
The school with the winning script would get to see their screenplay turned into an actual, full-on Doctor Who mini-episode.
As i understand it, this mini-episode will be written based off this short as an opening, these are only the first nits that will be picked.

Incientally Green Ducks, more common than you would think.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
baconsarnie said:
Susan Arendt said:

Shame? Really?
Normally i wouldn't react to an offhand scornful criticism of a group that included me but for some reason i feel i can't let this slide.
I will admit that as a short written by kids it holds up well, they deserve the credit given to them.
Having done childrens work i can't attest that it is possible to be a bit critical of a child's artistic work and not stomp all over their dreams, what you must also remember is that this was made by the BBC and no-one involved there will cry because a group of nasty internet villains (as you seem to have cast us) pointed out some glaring plot-holes that they will have to fill.
The school with the winning script would get to see their screenplay turned into an actual, full-on Doctor Who mini-episode.
As i understand it, this mini-episode will be written based off this short as an opening, these are only the first nits that will be picked.

Incientally Green Ducks, more common than you would think.
No, no-one at the BBC will give a rat's ass about anyone not liking the short, and it's unlikely the kids will see any of your comments, either. None of which is the point. Crapping all over something done by children because it's nonsensical or violates canon is just plain lame.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
No, no-one at the BBC will give a rat's ass about anyone not liking the short, and it's unlikely the kids will see any of your comments, either. None of which is the point. Crapping all over something done by children because it's nonsensical or violates canon is just plain lame.
Nobody is crapping over anything, you seem to be blowing this way out of proportion.
Yes it's not much fun for anyone to spend five minutes pointing out flaws in ANY three minute short, but i'm the kind of person that shouts at adverts on the tv when they get stuff wrong. I'm happy to admit i'm lame, but i will not be portrayed as some miserable child hating husk of a person.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i fully expect to see at some point david tennant jumping matt smith, taking the torch from him, and running off with it in order to restore continuity to the timeline

perhaps with live footage being used in the actual show

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

No but that will be only because it will be my child, seeing as the writers of this aren't related to me I have no reason to think better of it than it technically deserves.

I didn't hate the video at first, I was put off a it by the dialogue but it all sounded like it belonged in Doctor Who. I stopped watching when it was revealed that the weeping angel wanted to steal the torch in order to kill the spirit of christm- I mean the Olympics.