Update: Elder Scrolls Online May Have Day One Vulnerability

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
this is a very nice blogpost by some random guy, but it completely ignores the fact that it was already established that TES online will not run on their endlessly recycled gamebryo engine. (which is fine by me in theory - it evolves pretty awesomely)
so we can kinda blame this one on the actual source.
also: DO NOT JUST PULL A NEWS ARTICLE/SOURCE FROM WARCRY, the escapist sister site, and then list it as a source. that's lazyness³.
if we start writing articles with those kind of sources, we can someday be like "Source: Warcry via Escapist via Warcry via....".
instead we should post the relevant articles on both sites. THEY'RE MAINTAINED BY THE SAME PEOPLE, GOD DAMN IT. (or at least so the "about us" page states)

/rant

on a more calm note: I am pretty sure that despite my allcaps, this is a relevant problem.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
MephistosCousin said:
"ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE IS NOT BEING DEVELOPED BY BETHESDA! JUST PUBLISHED BY IT! (They do however have most creative control over it)."
Bethesda published games are also known for being so VERY bug free!

See: New Vegas. Brink.
You had a bug free experience with New Vegas? The very thought of this happening to anyone astounds me.

Also, Fanghawk - concerning doesn't work in your third paragraph, disconcerting fits. well it works, but I don't like it, so it doesn't.
And also I fail at recognizing simple sarcasm. I'm just going away now.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
SecondPrize said:
You had a bug free experience with New Vegas? The very thought of this happening to anyone astounds me.
You might want to get your sarcasm detector checked.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
In other news; if the game was made with butter, it would melt in sunlight!

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
This article takes the cake for sensationalist title. Was any research done before this was written?

Also:

Trouble is, if Elder Scrolls Online uses the same code,
IF!? You're writing an article based purely on speculation!?

As many people have pointed out, Elder Scrolls Online isn't being developed by Bethesda. That alone should have given enough of a clue that it's not likely to happen.

By activating specialized functions using the developer's console
If the developer console was available to everyone in this game it would be doomed to fail anyway.

Time I started getting geek news elsewhere I think.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Limos said:
This game is not made by Bethesda.

This game is not built in the same engine as any of the previous games.

This is a very silly article.
Not really. Bethesda has been working with Gamebryo for over 10 years now, why would they abandon an engine with which they've gotten that far?

It's pretty easy for them now: they don't have to write the engine, just net and sync code. They've also got all the systems for NPCs and AI already coded, why write something new when the old one works just as well?

Even IF the dev team is different from the usual one for TES games, if they can get an engine that's already working well for the kind of thing they're trying to accomplish, they won't say no.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Matthi205 said:
Limos said:

Not really. Bethesda has been working with Gamebryo for over 10 years now, why would they abandon an engine with which they've gotten that far?

It's pretty easy for them now: they don't have to write the engine, just net and sync code. They've also got all the systems for NPCs and AI already coded, why write something new when the old one works just as well?
Because they've already abandoned it?

Skyrim was made with the in-house Creation Engine.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ed130 said:
Matthi205 said:
Limos said:

Which was made based on the source code of Gamebryo. It was also made to be compatible with all the processes the dev team was familiar with from Gambryo.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Matthi205 said:
Ed130 said:
Matthi205 said:
Limos said:

Which was made based on the source code of Gamebryo. It was also made to be compatible with all the processes the dev team was familiar with from Gambryo.
You mean C++? You do realize that its one of the more common computer languages? Hell, I think my sister is learning it for her computer science degree.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
yeh it will have day one vulnerability it's called Wild Star. Seriously Wild Star wild star shaping out to be quite interesting game with great design and features, very different from ESO or at least what i saw of it.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Matthi205 said:
Limos said:

Even IF the dev team is different from the usual one for TES games, if they can get an engine that's already working well for the kind of thing they're trying to accomplish, they won't say no.
Regardless of which engine was used to create skyrim, the current iteration of a gamebryo engine is very unsuitable for multiplayer play, for one very important reason. The features of the engine utilized in Skyrim require a lot of processing power to properly calculate. These calculations would require even more calculations if netcode were put into the game, opening up even more bugs and halting gameplay

Indeed, if Skyrim's engine was used for the Elder Scrolls Online, not only would this article be true, but the game would be unplayable once the amount of players logged in goes into the double figures.

But that doesn't matter at this time, since ESO is being developed by Zenimax Online Studios, who are not skyrim's developers. Skyrim's developers are Bethesda Game Studios. It is safe to assume that a different developer would be assigned a more appropriate game engine, if they do not already have an in-house engine for use for online game development.

Here are some wiki links relating to the two developers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Online_Studios, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Game_Studios

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ed130 said:
You mean C++? You do realize that its one of the more common computer languages? Hell, I think my sister is learning it for her computer science degree.
A) C++ is the most common programming language.
B) Do you have ANY idea how many lines of code it takes for a more or less advanced game engine? And for something that occupies the same level of complexity that Bethesda's Gamebryo modification has?

You're trying to mock me with something which you seemingly don't understand.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Thats a pretty far fetched claim. Elder Scrolls Online may not use the same engine but that doesn't matter. A client is never secure. A hacker could go ahead and use the vulnerability, or take the much simpler route of simply modifying the client. The presence of a client vulnerability is completely irelevant.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Illogical and untrue assumption, not even based upon real experience, uttered by an incompetent writer.

Did anyone even think this troufh? Screw this website. I'm out.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
+1 to the "this is not news" crowd

People earlier in the comments thread have already said everything I was going to say.

Yes, it's possible that TESO will have security vulnerabilities, this is always a possibility in any upcoming MMO. The evidence from this blog doesn't suggest that this is any more likely in this particular game than any other.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
This one is a little silly.

While there's a miniscule, minute chance the code is still there, there's also a good chance Zenimax saw it and patched it or they see articles like this, check it over if it's there they patch it if it's not they don't need to worry. I feel like they're smart people and know what they're doing. :)

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
DDoS through the dev console, and pulling passwords from it too? The dev console is the CLI for interfacing with the GAME ENGINE, not the back end servers. I would be really, really fucking impressed with the guy who pulls off hacking the back end game with restricted control.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
Kalezian said:
Matthi205 said:
Limos said:

because Gamebryo was tested for a MMO and failed spectacularly, thus making the need for another engine made specifically for an MMO.
Rift is using Gamebryo and that game didn't fail, I think. The engine you might be thinking about is the Hero Engine used for SW:TOR, although that was an early version of said engine.