[UPDATE] Feds Take Down Megaupload

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Sandytimeman said:
Hey umm actually would like to point out that...that link to megauploads. It installs Anon's DDOS program on your comp unless you have a good malware blocker. XD Just...uhh thought you might want to know.
How exactly do you know? Thats what im wondering at this Point..

Well here's for having No-Script to block sites i dont trust, no messy autodownloading for them!

And before a Mod gets hammer-happy, no i dont use it to block the escapist or encourage others to do it as well ;P

OT:

Well, there's one down, just..whats a good number, 100? 200?...well alot more to go. And no i dont agree with what they have done but given that nobody had prior notice to it, its not like we could stop it now that they went ballistic already.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Hugga_Bear said:
RJ Dalton said:
What's the point of trying to legalize a massive takedown like this if they're going to do it anyway? I mean, why even bother with the pretense of legitimacy at this point?
Plan A failed, this is plan B. Also known as "fuck legality, do it anyway".
Anon have made their response (and are still making it). Various groups are quick to throw their support behind them and there are rumours of something darker stirring in the deeps.

They really shouldn't have done that.
Anonymous is stupid. I can agree with the idea of using network and hacking techniques to expose and fight corruption, but Anonymous's members are mostly script kiddies. What have we seen them do other than take down a few posters and spray paint graffiti (which is what taking down a website and replacing it with an announcement amounts to)? They aren't good enough to really deserve the attention their getting.

But really, let's put this event into perspective. Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 14 year old girl and fled to France. We're not extraditing him to face charges, oh, but those evil, evil pirates, we can't let them get away with this!
Yeah, if there was any doubt that the corporations own our government, this should wipe it away.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I don't know how I feel about this. I don't feel particulary pissed, even though I've even used Megaupload myself.

Probably because I know that megaupload has been used almost exclusively to spread copyrighted material, I can hardy blame CEO for not being too happy about it.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
A-D. said:
Sandytimeman said:
Hey umm actually would like to point out that...that link to megauploads. It installs Anon's DDOS program on your comp unless you have a good malware blocker. XD Just...uhh thought you might want to know.
How exactly do you know? Thats what im wondering at this Point..

Well here's for having No-Script to block sites i dont trust, no messy autodownloading for them!

And before a Mod gets hammer-happy, no i dont use it to block the escapist or encourage others to do it as well ;P

OT:

Well, there's one down, just..whats a good number, 100? 200?...well alot more to go. And no i dont agree with what they have done but given that nobody had prior notice to it, its not like we could stop it now that they went ballistic already.
My Malware Bytes program blocked the install and the on a few other sites people warning not to try and access the megauploads ip otherwise your'll get the DDOS program installed.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
But really, let's put this event into perspective. Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 14 year old girl and fled to France. We're not extraditing him to face charges, oh, but those evil, evil pirates, we can't let them get away with this!
Yeah, if there was any doubt that the corporations own our government, this should wipe it away.
France won't extradite him on those charges. There was a lot of hoopla when he was in Switzerland and the US government wanted him extradited from there but a Swiss judge denied the request. The US government has wanted to extradite him for years now.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
'According to reports, charges have been laid against seven Megaupload employees - four of which are already in custody in New Zealand. The Department of Justice reckons this is "among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States,"'

Ummm... I'm guesing the had the New Zeland's coperation right?

Sandytimeman said:
My Malware Bytes program blocked the install and the on a few other sites people warning not to try and access the megauploads ip otherwise your'll get the DDOS program installed.
Are you kidding? Fuck, I clicked on that link...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
What I don't think is posted here but is really ridiculous is that if found guilty, these people will be facing a 55 year sentence.

That's right. 55 YEARS
Awesome. I could kill a man in a fit of rage and be out before them. I just might too with the way things have been going over the last few years.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
silversnake4133 said:
TheDooD said:
silversnake4133 said:
It's true they don't want people make massive money of the net. Hell there's so many highly skilled guys that if they would team up would completely dominate in their field of expertise. These old rich crocs don't want the little man to come up and gain their own wealth, so they'll try anything and everything to keep them down.
Exactly. It makes me wonder if those Congressmen have ever seen the movie "War Games".
Most of them act like they're stuck in the 1940's I seriously doubt it.

JoaoJatoba

Deadman Walking
Dec 31, 2010
henritje said:
just HOW does the US have jurisdiction outside their country?
as far as I know the internet has no leader/owner meaning nobody has jurisdiction on it (except for admins).
it,s like the Dutch government catching Texans for owning weapons.
Since most of the infrastructure of the internet passes through USA they can block out data traffic, but the content will not be erased in its source.

Feb 13, 2008
Irridium said:
What about the millions that used these sites for perfectly legal means? The type of people that far outweighed the pirates?
Ask Steve Jackson about that.

http://www.sjgames.com/SS/

TL;DR: In 1990, The PnP RPG GURPS Cyberpunk was raided by the Secret Service for making "A handbook for hackers" - all of their perfectly legitimate equipment was stolen by the Feds and held for 3 years. (That's all their computers, work, e-mails etc.)

They sued the US Government for over $50,000 in damages, plus over $250,000 in attorney's fees; and won.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Nielas said:
RJ Dalton said:
France won't extradite him on those charges. There was a lot of hoopla when he was in Switzerland and the US government wanted him extradited from there but a Swiss judge denied the request. The US government has wanted to extradite him for years now.
Still holds up, even if it's not entirely the US's fault. It still shows us how the world at large views piracy as a worse crime than rape.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
What I don't think is posted here but is really ridiculous is that if found guilty, these people will be facing a 55 year sentence.

That's right. 55 YEARS
meanwhile murderers, rapists and carjackers get 25. american justice at work people

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Still holds up, even if it's not entirely the US's fault. It still shows us how the world at large views piracy as a worse crime than rape.
But you don't understand! Piracy costs people in high places money, rape doesn't! D:

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Seeing how they did take down stuff that was hosted over there quite often, I don't see how they would get problems with the law. Granted I don't know the size on the team but I can't think it´s that big so of course they can't work as fast as youtube with taking down videos.

Vivi22 said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

That's right. 55 YEARS
Awesome. I could kill a man in a fit of rage and be out before them. I just might too with the way things have been going over the last few years.
You could kill 1, sit your 25 years, and then kill another man, and still be out before them.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Well, this certainly sucks. I hope that there's a big enough out-lash against this.

On other news, following an article link and watching some videos told me that at least a dozen more U.S. Reps/Senators have joined the anti-SOPA/PIPA league.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Almost every single comment in this thread disgusts me and makes me realize just how very entitled much of the world is thanks to modern day net piracy. Literally you had to be blind to -not- know that Megaupload was hosting illegal content and geeze wasn't it odd that the same files always kept popping up. It'd be a poor choice to spend money/store important files on such a site for any length of time. It's just poor planning.

Read the Indictment. Here's the full 72 pages.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment

before you decide to start complaining about how it's just a company, how about the parts where chief employee's of the site where not only profiting off of the piracy but also outright encouraging it! This wasn't some lowbie tech guy this was the top guys. READ the bloody paper before you go tossing out how they are just some innocent 3rd party. Pirate bay had a stronger case then these guys do if even half of these claims have evidence behind them(considering it's already went to Grand Jury it's most likely the case they do have some fairly compelling evidence.)

Did I mention they also encouraged actions against rival websites so they could profit more from the very thing they themselves where doing? Megaupload was perfectly fine with the FBI and companies going after other sites pirating but surprisingly enough not thar own. It's almost as if..*gasp* THEY WANTED MORE MONEY?! I know crazy..but true.

The US isn't tossing it's power around when the countries agree to extradite them as per the signed treaties they have. It's not like the US said to New Zealand if you don't give us these guys where going to invade. It's a simple matter of criminal transfer between two powers. Hate to break it you but Anon is acting like kids and this is actually a good thing as it's sites like Megaupload that not only promote piracy and profit from it but it's the thing people point to when SOPA/pipa style bills get promoted.

Please for the love of god escapist at least provide the link to the indictment and at best read and post the exact reasons because all this is doing is stirring the anti government anon in alot of users.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
hrmpf there goes my prem account. MU was one of the best hosters on a worldwide level since the net lost its faith in rapidshare. Even as a free User it had decent speed and was user friendly...

but in the end it's all part of the content/file-sharing evolution. i've seen the copyright sheriffs trying to catch up since the days of usenet and sharing floppy disk or tape drives... now we have one-click-hoster with 1 gig files you can download with 10+ mb/s

that being said what i'm really missing is having state officals pulling those big guns on the crooks responsible for the 2007 financial crisis

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Orekoya said:
maninahat said:
The problem with such logic is that you're saying its okay for them to chop down a tree in a forest for having a branch they didn't like so long as they really didn't like it. As logical as you want to reason this out, allowing officials to progress down this path will only end in a clear cut field.
All I am saying is that in some circumstances, there simply isn't an option to cut off the offending branch only. That is to say, in the examples I gave, there is no plausible way of tackling a serious problem without having to take an extreme, all-encompassing measure (unlike a real tree branch, which obviously could be just cut off). Extreme measures have their severe downsides, so they should only be taken if really necessary. Is the problem big enough to require disrupting the service for everyone? In some cases, I think that wide-spread, clear cutting is required.