Update: Fez Studio Rereleases Save-Corrupting Patch

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
As someone that wants to play it on PS3, my interest steadily wanes with every batch, or patch, of fail this game continues to make.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Elcarsh said:
RaikuFA said:
Actually, with SMB MS broke the contract. Part of the agreement to keep it away from PS was that MS had to advertise it. MS did not fufill their end of the deal.
And this relates to Fez how, exactly?
Who said it has to do with Fez? It has to do with the conversation. One which you were a direct element in (see next quote), so I don't see how this comes as "off-topic" to you. Though this just makes me wonder how hard you're jamming your fingers into your ears as people talk badly about what must clearly be your favorite company, because the level of denial in your posts is off the charts. Microsoft has shitty policies, end of story. Doesn't matter who's fault it is for entering into business with them, the point is that as this happens more and more, Microsoft is going to start losing games, and thus, revenue. So go ahead and live in denial if you want, but regardless of whether or not it's Fish's fault for entering into a contract with Microsoft, it doesn't make him somehow responsible for those policies being formed in the first place.

Elcarsh said:
Allthingsspectacular said:
Um, have you been blind for the past few years? This story has been repeated many a time. Where an independent developer releases a game on consoles saying they prefer consoles over PC, gets screwed by Microsoft and then ducks into the Steam vault where they make a lot more money.

The same thing happened with the Braid creator and the Super Meatboy creator.

These aren't dumb people. Something is up.
Sounds like they made bad business choices, got burned and then decided to do something smarter. Again, how in hell is that Microsoft's fault? Or do you think Microsoft are somehow forcing them at gunpoint to sign the agreements?

Besides, the guy who made Braid is a pretentious shithead. Saying he's not dumb is inaccurrate.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
good, f.y. polytron, you could have gone steam and make millions but instead you prefer to be micro$oft *****

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Baldr said:
The certification fees are not the big deal. It is the distribution fees. Microsoft doesn't really charge developers for bandwidth for distribution. They also don't want developers continually releasing patches for games, that eats up bandwidth on the XBL servers. They want developers to really get it right the first time.
Do you have any idea how cheap bandwidth is these days? It's non-zero, but it's a tiny, tiny fraction of the total amount they make off each sale of each game. If that weren't true, Netflix couldn't survive with people paying $8/month to stream hours and hours of HD video (less than the cost of a game for far more data), and YouTube couldn't work with an ad-supported model. I have a server with unmetered bandwidth that costs so little per month it might as well be free. That would've been unheard of not too many years ago, but these days it's not so much of a big deal.

I haven't looked at a recent breakdown of where the money from XBLA sales goes, but I strongly suspect that a rather small fraction of what you pay for a game covers the bandwidth cost for downloading the game and all future patches for it, and it doesn't significantly/directly impact anyone involved on that level (MS and whoever they do their hosting/CDN stuff with, sure, but not individual developers/publishers). It's not so much that they're not charging the developers for bandwidth but rather that it's being paid for from the percentage that MS keeps and doesn't give to the developer in the first place.

The certification fees do have a much larger effect on smaller developers than large ones though, because it's a dramatically larger piece of their total available cash. For a company that has millions or billions of dollars, it's not really a big deal, but many small, independent developers are working with tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and after taxes and paying off debts accumulated during development they often make under $40k per person per year. They can afford to live off it and keep doing what they enjoy doing, but spending that many thousands of dollars just to release a patch is out of the question...and that's why Steam and iOS and so on have gotten so much more popular for things like that.

As far as Fez goes...I don't know what Phil Fish's personal financial situation is and what makes the most sense for him, but he sure doesn't seem to win himself any more fans whenever he opens his mouth. Heh.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
From what I understand most certification testing has to do with making sure that the game doesn't brick your console or exceed the limits of what whatever sandbox it's put in. As Microsoft doesn't want a lazy dev to screw up while implementing a cycle saving trick and end up writing files vital the OS it makes sense that they do this. Valve doesn't care about that as much because people are used to Windows having problems, and at this point most desktops are sand boxed sufficiently so you need to intentionally be doing something wrong while running as admin to break it.

ashertaz

Apr 15, 2009
1- no testing is ever perfect (even coming close to it would stretch dev time for years).
2- save corrupting even for 1% is not a reason do disqualify a game from certification ( the game is tested for stability and other grave/often errors and bugs).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Elcarsh said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Who said it has to do with Fez? It has to do with the conversation. One which you were a direct element in (see next quote), so I don't see how this comes as "off-topic" to you. Though this just makes me wonder how hard you're jamming your fingers into your ears as people talk badly about what must clearly be your favorite company, because the level of denial in your posts is off the charts. Microsoft has shitty policies, end of story. Doesn't matter who's fault it is for entering into business with them, the point is that as this happens more and more, Microsoft is going to start losing games, and thus, revenue. So go ahead and live in denial if you want, but regardless of whether or not it's Fish's fault for entering into a contract with Microsoft, it doesn't make him somehow responsible for those policies being formed in the first place.
You're trying to dodge it, but they entered the agreement willingly. They knew what they were getting into, which means they either thought it was a good deal and are now lying to us to save a few bucks, or they are really just morons who can't read and just clicked "I agree!" automatically, a stance for which I have no respect whatsoever.

You want to hate Microsoft, and that is the one and only reason why you're blaming them. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter. Hate them if you want, they did nothing wrong.
I'm not dodging a damn thing! Go ahead and point-out the part of my reply where I said "They had no way of knowing what they were getting into". Go for it, I can wait. If you weren't neck-deep in denial, you'd notice how I said that I don't care who willingly went into business with who; it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has horrendous policies, and numerous companies have complained about the hoops that are needed to jump through in order to publish games or release DLC for their system.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
sethisjimmy said:
kitsuta said:
"People often mistakenly believe that we got paid by Microsoft for being exclusive to their platform," Polytron stated. "Nothing could be further from the truth. WE pay THEM."
Really? I suppose I get the attraction of XBLA, your game gets some free press if it's published there, but why would you pay them to be on there exclusively? Steam/practically any other method of distribution seems like it would be waaay better for this type of game. I agree with Fappy, seems like a dumb move on his part.
I'm wondering this also.

What possible benefit is there?

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Shame that such a neat little game has to have been so plagued with controversy. Really, it's a shame. Because it was fun. Guess I'm glad I beat it with no issues, prior to the patch!

Still, a great little game that has the unfortunate distinction of carrying its creators' chips on its shoulder. Too much of a burden for one little fez-wearing...uh...whatever-it-is.

Tropico1

Aug 27, 2008
Buretsu said:
Yeah, here:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/950149/fez_interview_polytrons_phil_fish.html
"I get so many comments shouting at me that I?m an idiot for not making a PC version. ?You?d make so much more money! Can?t you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!? Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It?s a console game on a console. End of story."
Bahahahahahahah XD Oh god. Thank you for that link and for the laugh. As far as I'm concerned this guy can lie in the bed that he made for himself.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'm inclined to believe MS in that update. They want the game to be in good condition because it boosts sales. The fact that they were willing to help financially to get the save bug fixed makes me think this Fez guy is even more of a dick.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is the reason that MicroShits services are terrible. They are just constantly stealing from people who want to sell products on their service.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I truly do love these articles. They really teach me all about how NOT to handle PR and how NOT to make statements. If this keeps up, I'll never make a bad PR move in my life, because I'll have seen them all!

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Buretsu said:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/950149/fez_interview_polytrons_phil_fish.html
Ok, I have no love or respect for Microsoft, but if you're going to be SO ADAMANT about releasing a 2D platformer for console, you deserve whatever you get.

I could understand if it was something that required controller-precision, and you were too lazy or restricted by budget to bother programming in computer-controller-controls (especially since most computer controllers suck anyway) but 2D platformers have ALWAYS worked with buttons instead of sticks. I say this having emulated TONS of games on my laptop, including games that work well with the keyboard (anything from the NES era) and stuff that makes the keyboard cry (anything from the N64 era). 2D platforming works with a keyboard, because your horizontal movement doesn't have to vary by degrees--you're always moving either right or left.

You have no gameplay reason for wanting it on a console--you just wanted it on a console. You deserve what you get.

*shakes head* I can't believe I'm sticking up for Microsoft... time to go clear out the viruses from my computer... again...