Update: Flappy Bird Creator Is Removing The Game From Stores

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
Because I'm sick and tired of seeing the type of pity parties over and over again whenever a game dev gets their feelings hurt.It's aways the same damn story of "people saying mean things has made me depressed or I'm leaving my job because some said some hurtful things",I'm tired of the obvious soap box drivel that goes on whenever these stories pop up.
If you're tired of it then stop clicking on the articles where you know it will be. It's pretty obvious which ones those are.

Secondly, we shouldn't HAVE to be giving this "soap box drivel". People shouldn't be making death threats over a simple game. Not to mention there is no way to tell the difference between a legitimate or an illegitimate death threat. The only way you can tell if they are serious is if someone winds up dead or injured. Yes 99.999% of the time it's an idle threat, but there's absolutely no way of knowing when it's the 0.001% that someone is actually going to follow through. You're incredibly silly example of someone video taping themselves with a bomb or something rarely, if ever, happens.

Also it's not whether someone is actually going to follow through with it. It's also about the psychological damage. Yes anyone that puts their work into the public eye is open to criticism but the last thing they should have to deal with is a constant slurry of threats against their life. And yeah, it's incredibly easy to blow off a few people spewing harsh words. Most individuals can tolerate an idle threat or two. But when it's a constant stream of hate being poured out in your direction that is a different story.

Despite what you may think most game devs can handle criticism and a few cruel words. But they shouldn't HAVE to handle spite and vitriol being slung at them 24/7. No one should have to deal with that.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Covarr said:
Thanatos2k said:
He is not making $50k a day. He might have made that one day, but these games are a flash in the pan - downloaded by everyone, played briefly, and forgotten. A week from now he'll be making $500 a day.

I have to wonder what was "too much" though. The threats, or the threats of legal action?
Good point. At $500 a day, he'd only be making $180,000 a year. That's not very much.

P.S. Thanks
Yeah, hundreds of thousands of dollars for just 3 days work is awful. I'd hate to be making so little ...

As for the game itself, the Forbes article has been updated : Looks like the basic idea & gameplay were stolen too!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, I don't get it, are indie developers somehow unfamiliar with the internet in a disproportionate distribution?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
the hidden eagle said:
People like me?For your information I take actual death threats seriously.People saying mean things over the internet does not equal threatening someone's life.Until someone tries to kill a game dev then their cries of being threatened are just a result of being mentally and emotionally weak.
Under the law a death threat over the internet is as serious as in person, over the phone, via sms or any other form of communication. Just because you don't consider it serious does not make it so. That said, we probably don't have the whole story, it's quite possible that he was threatened outside of the internet as well. Humanity can be pathetic at times.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I wondered why some guy on ebay had his generation 1 ipad listed with a $700 buy it now price. He said it had this game on it and it was taken off itunes. I thought he was crazy for trying to get some collector nutjob buy an ipad for just that game, and my thoughts are reenforced now that I hear the game was ass. I guess somewhere out there someone would be willing to buy a $700 crappy game if it's rare, though.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
CriticKitten said:
The reference before was something I had to say simply because I was more so confused, though it was in no way mature on my part, so I should apologize for the back handed comments. Also, I'm sadly a very passive aggressive person, so I typically get it in my head to do certain things like that of making references to past discussions. I don't like it about myself, but it happens, and I'm sorry.

And simply by your statement "emulate" is where I got the idea that you were comparing it to Mario further than just stolen art styles. I see emulate to mean to fully try and copy something and make only the slightest differences, or to simply try and do the same thing, such as a console emulator. So that's also my bad for misunderstanding you. Again, I apologize for all this, because now I feel embarrassed and a little stupid.

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
Honestly in my opinion, I still don't understand why this game became as popular as it did, and I don't think Nyugen did either. To me, this game is clunky, and doesn't bring anything at all new to the video gaming spectrum as a whole. I've played Jetpack Joyride, I don't need to play any more copies of it. While I'm glad for Mr. Nyugen finding so much success in this game (and hope that he is able to recover from whatever is plaguing him at the moment), I still feel like this game is merely indicative of how volatile the market can be, as there really is very little logical sense as to why this game became as addicting as it was. Either way, here's hoping that his success can continue on in a better, healthier way and that his hard work on other projects pays off somewhat similar to this one.

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
I wondered why some guy on ebay had his generation 1 ipad listed with a $700 buy it now price. He said it had this game on it and it was taken off itunes. I thought he was crazy for trying to get some collector nutjob buy an ipad for just that game, and my thoughts are reenforced now that I hear the game was ass. I guess somewhere out there someone would be willing to buy a $700 crappy game if it's rare, though.
Never underestimate the buying power of a true idiot.