Update: Flappy Bird-Laden Devices Selling for $80,500 Online

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
It's amazing the sociopathic ranting people put out on Twitter under their own names.

Whilst I'm not usually in favor of the idea that it should be a crime to be mean to someone on the internet I can't help but think that some of these hysterical attention whores need a wake up call, in the form of a police enquiry about them making death threats.
This.

It's not even a question of preserving anonymity. They came out, under their own names, and threatened to kill someone. There are more question marks floating over my head than you or I can comprehend. ;____;

Also, suicide threats? That's a new one.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I made a grievous mistake reading those tweets.

I regret everything now. Those people need help.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
It's just appalling how lobbing death threats around has become an accepted part of online communication. Suck at a competitive game? Ten to one you'll hear some idiot ask you to kill yourself on a bored and vaguely insulted tone. You're too proficient for someone else's tastes? Same thing.

I'm scared to think that some people would casually lob this around at their workplace or family gatherings.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Oh internets. Some days the only way to describe my feelings towards you and humanity is just saying to myself, "I hate."

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
These bids brought to you by trolls and people who don't know that loading non-marketplace apps onto smartphones isn't that hard.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
putowtin said:
It's monday morning and, after reading this news, I've already given up for the rest of the week!

Seriously people, your life won't end if a game goes away, you don't threatern to kill someone because a game went away, and you don't sell a phone for $80,500 cause it's got a bloody game on it!
Correction. You don't BUY a phone for $80,500 because it's got a game on it. If you think you can sell it for that much then go crazy.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Imagine you make some shitty minigame in 10 minutes, put it online for giggles, it gets super popular for some ungodly reason and then this happens.
Has the world finally gone mad?

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
These people all need to die.

By the way, just because the bid is up to $80,000 or whatever you said it was doesn't mean they will actually pay for it. Had to post my PS3 over 6 times because the top bidder didn't pay.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
RyQ_TMC said:
Huh. I've never played Flappy Bird, but from what I've read about it when my fb feed suddenly exploded with comments about it, I gathered it's simply "that game". You know, that one flash game where you fly a helicopter or a spaceship through a tunnel. It flies up if you press a key, falls down if you let go.
Correct I just played it, and that's what it is.

I have a Windows Phone, and it's still available in the marketplace there, without having to add the app manually.

Granted, this one seems to be published by "IG Mobile", so I don't think it's made by the original creator.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/flappy-bird/9bf76692-f5ca-4a5f-a533-2ce0d9c0e6e1

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But...isnt that game quite shit anyway? Why is it so popular? My faecle deposits have programmed more interesting distractions!
Nonetheless, the masses are so effectively brain dead that this does not surprise me. Im just curious as to how they have obtained such disposable income. Perhaps inheritence? From a deceased relative? Whos death may have been the result of various genetic stupidities?

What was wrong with jetpack joyride? Do kids these days feel uncomfortable high-fiving pixelated scientists??

BAH! i shall retreat into the darkness from whence i came.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
If someone wants to give me 80k I'll write them a Flappy Bird clone by next weekend.

Paul Bastin

Apr 27, 2013
Xsjadoblayde" post="7.841978.20710369 said:
But...isnt that game quite shit anyway? Why is it so popular? My faecle deposits have programmed more interesting distractions!/quote]

Here is the fatal flaw that has kept mobile gaming from taking over gaming duties from dedicated systems and platforms. There is absolutely no incentive to make a good game, because you're going to be getting the same exposure as everybody else on these app stores.

You would be far better off churning out 30 crappy games like Flappy Bird and filling them with ads and microtransactions than you would be for making a single, relatively decent game. Mobile gaming growth was stunted, ironically by what made it such an attractive proposition to begin with.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
People will be placing fake bids. There are probably millions of phones with it currently installed and it is very easy to install an app without the play store.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
http://www.plonga.com/skill/Reaction/Flappy-Bird-Online/

Hey look at that. You can play this mediocre-at-best game, online, without ever touching an Apple product, for free!

But why not f*cking murder the creator of this supposedly amazing game for doing what he wants with his product. That'll teach him -.-'

KingBlackToof

Aug 1, 2013
I'm actually quite scared for the guy.
Not because I believe any are genuine, but for his mental well-being. Genuinely am.

Everyone on there fills me with a melancholy rage.
Especially the seemingly normal ones. Like Kyle, a 12 year old kid, talks about COD & Minecraft, has a youtube channel.
I work in a school, that's very common for the 12 year olds. He looks like a good kid.

It's really annoying, I want to do something but I can't.
I feel a petition would be useful here.
Something along the lines of better law enforcement of these types of threats on Twitter?
And Twitter Banning accounts?

Or something?
Even a petition to let the Dong guy know he's not alone, for moral support.
(Oh but then again he probably just want less attention and to put this behind him.)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
putowtin said:
It's monday morning and, after reading this news, I've already given up for the rest of the week!

Seriously people, your life won't end if a game goes away, you don't threatern to kill someone because a game went away, and you don't sell a phone for $80,500 cause it's got a bloody game on it!
Speak for yourself, I'd be selling mine right now if I had it installed, if someone is stupid enough to pay 80k for a game that consists of a grand total of 50 lines of code and stolen assets, I would be doing my working class roots a disservice by not cashing in on that stupidity.

Heck you can whip the thing up in an hour, I might even make my own and submit it to the appstore.