*UPDATE* Gamestop caves in; "closes" all stores

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Well folks, looks like Gamestop finally caved in.

Ever since my last post on Gamestop refusing to close down because of how they self-proclaim "essential retail", there were multiple cases of public outrage and employee protest. employees basically gave the corporate middle fingers and simply not coming in to work or close the stores on their own terms. Some states had their governors bring down the hammer, forcing GameStop to close the stores within the state
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/fm6v8u/governor_tom_wolf_pulls_game_stops_business/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=5611bdc6fc7f49b5bfbfac2e192cc455&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=fm6v8u

After all that, the corporate finally raised the white flags. They have officially "closed" all stores across the US, and will be focusing on digital and non-close contact services. I use quotations because the stores are technically open, just not really let anyone in.
http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gamestop-provides-us-store-operations-and-customer-service
https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/

I guess they aren't the complete boneheads, but it still urks me to think that 1. They call themselves to be "essential retail" and 2. it took them 4 fucking days to do this, whereas all other retails have done immediate closures or alternative solutiuons.

FUCK the GameStop corp., and god bless any/all employees still working out there.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Nah, they're still complete boneheads. Anyone with the slightest sense of public relations could have told them how trying to pass the chain as "essential retail" was going to go. It was such a bald-faced lie as to make the public feel like it was insulting their intelligence, and consequentially makes them come off as snake oil salesmen. That's not a good look at the best of times, but at a time when even minimum wage businesses are closing their doors to try and slow the spread of a pandemic? The resultant loss of goodwill costs them far too many customers to make the stunt worth it. And that's an easily predictable result.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, I knew gamestop didn't care about their employees, but yeah, that was just fucking stupid and irresponsible. I won't feel bad if/when they end up going bankrupt, but I'm sure the chuckleheads in charge will still skate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's great and all, but there are many other stores, gaming or non-gaming alike, that are trying to pull of the "essential" crap too. Or are waiting until the government tells them shutdown. It's only a very small step, because GameStop is in the hot seat, so the other store aren't criticized as much or not at all.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
GAME and CEX are both staying open, because they feel the need to follow Gamestop's example despite it being a really bad look for everyone involved. Mind you, I don't know if they will stay open with Britain now in lockdown.

Just checked, nope GAME are not owned by Gamestop. So, they independently looked at the heat that Gamestop got for keeping their stores open just to make money and went "yep, that's the look we need for our company".

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
EB Games Australia is still open despite us going into lockdown.i provide more explanation in my post in the other thread.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Asita said:
Nah, they're still complete boneheads. Anyone with the slightest sense of public relations could have told them how trying to pass the chain as "essential retail" was going to go. It was such a bald-faced lie as to make the public feel like it was insulting their intelligence, and consequentially makes them come off as snake oil salesmen. That's not a good look at the best of times, but at a time when even minimum wage businesses are closing their doors to try and slow the spread of a pandemic? The resultant loss of goodwill costs them far too many customers to make the stunt worth it. And that's an easily predictable result.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03...es-wrap-your-hands-plastic-bags-go-back-work/

The manager said it was ?infuriating? that he is being sent to work at a video game store and and being told to protect himself with a plastic bag while a pandemic is raging.

?I have to make a choice between doing a job that nobody needs during a pandemic and not being paid, and possibly infecting people or being infected,? he said. ?We know for a fact the disease is contagious even when you?re asymptomatic.?

Yup, this company has toxic leadership and either needs Reggie to step up or simply be put out of business. Let Best Buy and local game shops have physical distribution of videogames.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
With all the movement restraint orders and whatnot, just what is staying open going to accomplish anyway? Are there going to be any customers coming even?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
hanselthecaretaker said:
Asita said:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03...es-wrap-your-hands-plastic-bags-go-back-work/

The manager said it was ?infuriating? that he is being sent to work at a video game store and and being told to protect himself with a plastic bag while a pandemic is raging.

?I have to make a choice between doing a job that nobody needs during a pandemic and not being paid, and possibly infecting people or being infected,? he said. ?We know for a fact the disease is contagious even when you?re asymptomatic.?

Yup, this company has toxic leadership and either needs Reggie to step up or simply be put out of business. Let Best Buy and local game shops have physical distribution of videogames.
IIRC Gamestop has been operating at a loss the last couple of years. It is quite possible that the company simply cannot survive the period of no income from the shutdown.

Of course, the humane thing to do would be to accept such and file for bankruptcy, but Gamestop leadership is hardly known for its altruism.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
As much as I enjoy video games, it's odd that they labelled themselves as "essential." However, I also don't really get the employees' mindset. Why are they upset? With this going on, they're some of the few people with a job. Do they actually think that GameStop is going to continue to pay them if their stores are closed? Many people today would be insanely grateful for any job, as layoffs have been insane.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mad World said:
As much as I enjoy video games, it's odd that they labelled themselves as "essential." However, I also don't really get the employees' mindset. Why are they upset? With this going on, they're some of the few people with a job. Do they actually think that GameStop is going to continue to pay them if their stores are closed? Many people today would be insanely grateful for any job, as layoffs have been insane.
Being without a job sucks, but so are getting paid shitty wages to work a job without safety measures in place, which has been one of the complaints. Employees weren't being supplied with mask, hand sanitizer or any of the other PPE to keep them remotely safe while operating(but the company was claiming they were). Not to mention Gamestop apparently doesn't do paid sick leave on a consistent basis so if you do get sick you're possibly SOL on pay in addition to your life at risk.
It sucks losing pay...it sucks even more to get sick and then lose pay on top of that, because fuck you for getting sick.

It's hard to justify a job when your employers care more about profit then your health/life.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Wings012 said:
With all the movement restraint orders and whatnot, just what is staying open going to accomplish anyway? Are there going to be any customers coming even?
there will be when new games come out like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing has just sold fuckloads (2.6 million in Japan at launch)

there's also stuff like Trials of Mana and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming so people still have reasons to keep going in and picking up their new games

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Yoshi178 said:
Mad World said:
As much as I enjoy video games, it's odd that they labelled themselves as "essential."
what else are we supposed to do at home? :3
Haha fair enough.
Dalisclock said:
Being without a job sucks, but so are getting paid shitty wages to work a job without safety measures in place, which has been one of the complaints. Employees weren't being supplied with mask, hand sanitizer or any of the other PPE to keep them remotely safe while operating(but the company was claiming they were). Not to mention Gamestop apparently doesn't do paid sick leave on a consistent basis so if you do get sick you're possibly SOL on pay in addition to your life at risk.
It sucks losing pay...it sucks even more to get sick and then lose pay on top of that, because fuck you for getting sick.

It's hard to justify a job when your employers care more about profit then your health/life.
Sounds like virtually every other big-time employer out there (with respect to caring more about profit than employees' health).

Anyway, I agree that being forced to work without the proper equipment isn't good, but my understanding is that some didn't want to work period. That doesn't really make sense. Or maybe they would rather go on employment insurance and be lazy.