Update: Metal Gear Solid V Reveal Trailer Gets Surreal

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
I just have to say, I got maybe slightly emotional seeing Mother Base getting trashed.

Otherwise, everything is looking good.

...Vita?

Neeckin

Feb 5, 2013
All the hard work you put into building up Mother Base to be perfect, blown up in minutes

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I think we can now all assume this is totally going to be on the PS4, which means I'm gonna have to buy the damn thing.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Rogue 09 said:
Not to get nitpicky, but I just need to verify... this is Big Boss in this trailer right? What with the eye patch and all? And the two phantoms would then be Solid and Liquid Snake... Right?

EDIT: And Diamond Dogs is a precursor to Outer Heaven?
BrotherRool said:
In many ways, too much of that trailer looked pretty understandable. This is Kojima, it's always a trap! (Also Psycho Mantis?!! Is it really him?) And does the Union Jack in the hospital room mean this is where the cloning takes place?

Rogue 09 said:
Not to get nitpicky, but I just need to verify... this is Big Boss in this trailer right? What with the eye patch and all? And the two phantoms would then be Solid and Liquid Snake... Right?

EDIT: And Diamond Dogs is a precursor to Outer Heaven?
I'm pretty sure too, because that was Kaz Miller beside him on the hospital bed right?

And it looked like it was clips of MSF's oil rig being blown up.

EDIT: And Zadoorknobs cigarette lighting hand! Peace Walker really should have been named MGS5. All those people who didn't play past the first set of credits in Peace Walker are going to have missed so much. I want more Paz action =D
Could be, i thought the same thing when i saw the trailer. But (and this is assuming that it's not a separate character entirely) big boss has two hands, i don't remember him having a prosthetic, and i did enjoy seeing the man with the prostethic arm kicking buttocks in this trailer.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
J Tyran said:
How can anyone take Snake seriously now? A dude with a rifle creeping about hiding and struggling to fight off a squad of soldiers if spotted cannot compare to Metal Gear Rising.

If one cyborg ninja can destroy platoons of troops and single handedly chop apart 50ft high battlemechs with ease how can one dude with a rifle ever be of use in that universe? Especially if he is the main Protagonist, Kojima raised the bar too high. Now Snake seems lame and underpowered now.
I have yet to play rising, but isn't it plcaed before MGS IV? and in the end Raiden (debatedly) got cut to pieces for relying on his "leet ninja skillz" while snake made it through the ordeal and ending vamp through his use of ingenuity and adaptability, and the nano machines that the quissling gave to him.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
This seems promising, MGs3 and Peacewalker were my favourite games in the series, and my favourite part of the story, so a sequel to those games seems like a good idea.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
I'm more interested in the 'him' Miller referred to in the beginning
It appears to be the first person view of a someone lying on a stretcher/table

I don't think it's revealed in the trailer who he is, or even his relevance to the plot

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I'm 100% lost here, but I like what I see!!! First point, I'm extremely intrigued by "it's been 9 years", meaning what?! When will the game take place? Are we controlling Big Boss (the eyepatch) again, if so he is young and this game is set in the past (which makes sense, after all his prosthetic isn't exactly high tech for MG standards...). I remember by the end of Metal Gear he got beaten pretty bad by Solid Snake, is that set between Metal Gear 1 & 2? OR is this set after Metal Gear SOLID (1) and this fellow is Liquid Snake (I know he should be blond), after all he did get one of his arms cut off (not sure which), but on the other hand he never had no bloody eyepatch... Or maybe (least likely in my opinion, I REALLY think it's Big Boss) it IS Solid Snake after a while and the eyepatch comes from a damage we're still to find out.
I'm amazed it'll be available for PS3 still, but extremely happy for it being also released for X360 since my PS3 broke and I figure now I'll wait for PS4...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Well now I just feel foolish for doubting that Phantom Pain was a MGS game when the first trailer came out.

Vie said:
Voren said:
Well if no one is gonna ask, I will.

Diamond Dogs....can we expect David Bowie to fight along side Snake?
That or he'll be the final boss... ..which come to think of it would be freaking damn cool.

Bowie would make an awesome Metal Gear boss.
If that happened I would instantly buy the game no questions asked.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I'd love to give this game a run but it doesn't alone justify buying a PS4 to me :(

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SillySam said:
I'm more interested in the 'him' Miller referred to in the beginning
It appears to be the first person view of a someone lying on a stretcher/table

I don't think it's revealed in the trailer who he is, or even his relevance to the plot
Possible spoilers

It might be chico from peacewalker since he was kidnapped and Big Boss was trying to rescue him. Something goes wrong with the mission and Chico will most likely die.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Kazedarkwind said:
Seriously? i thought anyone with two brain cells could see that was Solid snake in the Phantom pain trailer. Hell i did and i never even played a MGS game >_>
A less presumptuous person with more than two brain cells would know it was Big Boss, not Solid Snake XD

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
J Tyran said:
How can anyone take Snake seriously now? A dude with a rifle creeping about hiding and struggling to fight off a squad of soldiers if spotted cannot compare to Metal Gear Rising.

If one cyborg ninja can destroy platoons of troops and single handedly chop apart 50ft high battlemechs with ease how can one dude with a rifle ever be of use in that universe? Especially if he is the main Protagonist, Kojima raised the bar too high. Now Snake seems lame and underpowered now.
Good thing it's a prologue! But I see your point

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
Marik2 said:
It might be chico from peacewalker since he was kidnapped and Big Boss was trying to rescue him. Something goes wrong with the mission and Chico will most likely die.
I came to the same conclusion, since the mission of Ground Zeroes was to rescue Paz, and what supposedly follows is Big Boss coming out of the coma
I just thought it weird as you only see Chico in the GZ trailer, and you don't see him in the helicopter in the MGS5 trailer
And I just thought it might be significant that they chose Chico's POV for that scene

Regarding the chronology of events in the trailers, I think it's
Big Boss infiltrating the base while XOF assaults mother base
BB returns with Chico to find mother base in ruins, tries to evacuate surviving members of MSF
Helicopter escapes with Miller (and Chico) onboard
Helicopter is attacked/accident happened
Clinic scene and Phantom Pain

This is the order of events with Chico I gathered from the trailer

The reason I think the person in the clinic isn't Chico is mainly because his lack of presence outside of the cage
And the fact that the 9-year coma was previously not mentioned in the canon, I think people would notice if BB doesn't show his face for 9 years, especially XOF would probably still be hunting remaining MSF members
Assuming previous canon holds, I was thinking the person had undergone surgery to make him look like BB and stood in for him

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Baneat said:
I'd love to give this game a run but it doesn't alone justify buying a PS4 to me :(
It's going to be on the PS3 and 360, says at the end of the trailer

Still believe we really dont need a new console generation and the games still look good

SillySam said:
Marik2 said:
I came to the same conclusion, since the mission of Ground Zeroes was to rescue Paz, and what supposedly follows is Big Boss coming out of the coma
I just thought it weird as you only see Chico in the GZ trailer, and you don't see him in the helicopter in the MGS5 trailer
And I just thought it might be significant that they chose Chico's POV for that scene

Regarding the chronology of events in the trailers, I think it's
Big Boss infiltrating the base while XOF assaults mother base
BB returns with Chico to find mother base in ruins, tries to evacuate surviving members of MSF
Helicopter escapes with Miller (and Chico) onboard
Helicopter is attacked/accident happened
Clinic scene and Phantom Pain

This is the order of events with Chico I gathered from the trailer

The reason I think the person in the clinic isn't Chico is mainly because his lack of presence outside of the cage
And the fact that the 9-year coma was previously not mentioned in the canon, I think people would notice if BB doesn't show his face for 9 years, especially XOF would probably still be hunting remaining MSF members
Assuming previous canon holds, I was thinking the person had undergone surgery to make him look like BB and stood in for him
In regards to the coma thing(I just beat mgs1), it was mentioned

I'm guessing that is where the lost arm comes in. Since Solidus is a perfect clone of Big Boss and he could fill for him or something.

Who knows, since Kojima loves to troll

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
Marik2 said:
I'm guessing that is where the lost arm comes in. Since Solidus is a perfect clone of Big Boss and he could fill for him or something.

I meant the '9-year coma' wasn't mentioned before
The cloning project was done because Big Boss was in a coma
Which puts that particular coma before Solid Snake was born, which is in 1972
Since Peace Walker happened in 1974 and MGS5 would probably happen after that, this seems like a different coma

Or just a retcon so all the Snakes are at least 2 years younger
Yay?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SillySam said:
Marik2 said:

I meant the '9-year coma' wasn't mentioned before
The cloning project was done because Big Boss was in a coma
Which puts that particular coma before Solid Snake was born, which is in 1972
Since Peace Walker happened in 1974 and MGS5 would probably happen after that, this seems like a different coma

Or just a retcon so all the Snakes are at least 2 years younger
Yay?
Well the coma thing was left opened and just said "It was during the 1970s". Yeah Kojima is going to retcon the date of Solid and Liquid being born.