Update: Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
One there is no way a new Xbox is coming out this year and two like we need an official confirmation from Microsoft to know they are making one.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
*looks at everyone making demands for backwards compatibility and the ability to port XBLA games over to the "Durango"*

Uh... why not just keep your 360s? Entitlement issues abound, as always... I'm not saying it wouldn't be great, I'm just saying it's unrealistic and weird.
Um... Id rather be able to boot up the new xbox and have ALL my games, and not have to keep my 360 connected to have to play those XBLA games.

Heck, I have my 360 on my desk now, my N64, SNES, and original Xbox under my tv on my desk, and I still have a gamecube I cant fit under there. Yeah.... One system would be great.

Its not entitlement, its "You know what would be GREAT!..."

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if that statement in the update was just MS trying to cover their arse. We all know it's coming either way anyway.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
GAunderrated said:
Funny thing is this generation of console's have been so busy of running franchises and sequels to the ground that I can't even think of one exclusive game from microsoft that excites me enough to buy a new console.

Also I'm hesitant to get near a new microsoft console since its turning into a media hub more than a gaming console.
The irony is strong in this one.I do not think that M$ would push out something this early but I have been wrong, before I did not think Bethesda would screw the pooch with Dawnguard for M$ bullshit but hey.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Itsthatguy said:
BiH-Kira said:
And the official name will probably be xbox 360 triangle
I was thinking something more along of the lines of XBox 360 TRI

And for those who dont get it
Can this be the true view of the M$ gaming team.... seems legit.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
kitsuta said:
indicates that the console may be scalable or even somehow customizable by the user.
Anyone wants to bet it'll end up like the PS3? The advertised promises that were broken?

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
I knew it wasn't the next Xbox. You don't announce a console just months before you release it. That's part of what killed the Dreamcast. You need at least a year in advance to garner enlugh developer suport.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
CriticKitten said:
So why would Microsoft screw themselves with bad design architecture, knowing that video games are extremely data-intensive programs that place a high load onto their processor on a rather consistent basis?
It's almost certainly because most of those assets/resources are going to be put toward emulating a RISC environment on CISC based hardware for the simple reason that emulating across instruction set architecture types is VERY resource intensive.

Nov 28, 2007
thebobmaster said:
It seems odd that a brand new system that is supposedly releasing in the next 4 months hasn't even been confirmed by Microsoft, doesn't it? Especially with the WiiU having been confirmed for over a year.
And this is why skepticism is always preferable to immediately believing every rumour you hear.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
"Always on, green device" If it's always on, it's not really a "green" device is it? I wish companies would stop making things that don't have an off button.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Kargathia said:
Druyn said:
Naw, you're not thinking it through... they're offering a game console (or at least, we assume it will still play games... hard to say with all the other shit they're shoehorning in) that can also be used as a DVR so you can 'time-shift' (legalese for 'record and watch later') tv shows.

Doesn't sound like something they'd really be interested in... except for when those HDDs inside the start getting full-as-fuck (and people who own DVRs will tell you that doesn't take anywhere near as long as people think it will) and people want bigger and bigger HDDs... which microsoft will be more than willing to sell them at a grossly inflated premium.
Which is a beneficial side-effect, but hardly the single most important reason to include tv functionality.

What? That's not what I said!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Druyn said:
What? That's not what I said!
Sorry, still adjusting to the new layout - your post was under the one I wanted, so I first accidentally quoted you, and apparently didn't remove it all.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
There's no way they'd launch the 720 this year, considering they remained completely silent on the next generation at E3.

I'm guessing probably Q4 2013. They'd be insane to wait any longer than that, with the Wii U already having a year head start.