Update: Next-Gen Sonic Title Coming in 2015

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
DeltaEdge said:
I'm looking forward to it. I've enjoyed most of the new sonic games post unleashed that I've played, including Lost Worlds(for the 3DS), and I feel like at this point they probably have a pretty good grasp on how to tackle their next game.
It's also notable that I grew up on Sonic Adventure 1(not 2, didn't like it), so I might not be the average Sonic player as I have a preference for 3D sonic games, and the only 2D ones I really remember enjoying were the advanced series, and sonic rush.
You aren't alone brother. I'm kind of in that same boat. For me, going back and playing the older titles, I found one problem. Sure there is speed but it seems hampered most of the time unless you memorize the level. Which I get is kind of the point but still. In the 3D games I don't feel like I slow down as much or get held up. Advanced solved the problem with the 2D speed in my opinion. I feel that SEGA/Sonic Team is one of those big Japanese companies these days that are finding their footing again. Another one is Square Enix. Its like one year they decided to pull their heads out of their asses and started to churn out the quality we expect from members of the old guard.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Fox12 said:
Yeah, you know Game of Thrones? The series everyone thinks is dark? Yeah, Berserk is worse. Much worse. The Red Wedding is basically like an episode of barney compared to Berserk. It's okay though, because Berserk has better writing and plot progression.

OT: Yeah, does anyone really care about Sonic anymore? Isn't that series basically on life support at this point? One cannot live off of nostalgia alone.
I care. Sonic generations was great, so was Sonic Colours. It was basically just taking everything that worked in Sonic Unleashed and ...applying it correctly, and it worked, fast paced platforming in both 3D and 2D that flowed and felt pretty amazing when you pulled it off right.

Lost world was a bit of a meh, but hardly near on the level of Sonic 06 who's very name shall invoke the ancient rights of hells lowest layer, but he's hardly doing badly these days. The stigma of that game along with Shadow the Hedgehog kinda ruined anything for the next decade but soon the decade will pass and it will be time to bury that particular shit.

He was the first thing I learned how to draw as a kid, I can't really NOT care when something comes up. I'll judge the hell out of it worse than most to be honest. True fans have actually been the harshest on the failings in the series, and come up with some pretty hilarious video content.
And the sonic fangame and modding community are some of the most wacky geniuses you'll find outside of the actual industry. (Just picking out the cream of the crop is a work that some blessed people on youtube do for you though...)

Also classic sonic's visual design was and remains a thing of genius. I could seriously go back to that if and when they decide to go back to it permanently.

And I have since realized I know what Berserk is, I just never got very far with it. Not enough to recognize a description of an event in it on the fly. I was more referring to the mental absurdity of having Sonic franchise characters placed in the character descriptions. Because thaaaaat's disturbing.

I'm not typing this to change your mind or anything, but yeah some people do still enjoy the series. (SELECTIVE PARTS OF IT)
I play Sonic 3 with my siblings at Christmas every year without fail. It's become it's own kind of strange tradition.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Chimpzy said:
Nope, not this time. I've learned to curb my enthusiasm with this franchise.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
I want to see the game that Shadow the Hedgehog should have been; an ultra-gimdark gorefest that puts Berserk to shame.
A yes, in that were to be the case I look forward to the scenes where Tails gets violently ripped apart and then devoured, Cream is tortured and thrown into a fire, and Amy Rose is brutally gang-raped by eggbots until tiny bots messily rip out of her pregnant belly, after which they'll further mutilate her corpse ending with it getting impaled onto a pike and paraded around.
It makes even better knowing that Amy isnt even a Teen because she used a magic item to force her body to grow in age which if you think about it is wrong in its own right but adding that is quite great

OT: who wants to start a bet on weather its good or bad.

I also think of Guile every time they say Sonic Boom

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
AndrewC said:
Sooooo, how many years are we gonna wait till the blue blur gets good games again? Cause I don't have much hope for this game, but who knows, maybe SEGA will surprise us...*uncontrollable sniggering*

Cause it's been a while.

Like, a long while.

11 years since the last good overall Sonic game. C'mon SEGA.
Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World were all good games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If it gets released on PC with modding capabilities like Generations, then I'd buy the shit out of this.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
gizmo2300 said:
AndrewC said:
Sooooo, how many years are we gonna wait till the blue blur gets good games again? Cause I don't have much hope for this game, but who knows, maybe SEGA will surprise us...*uncontrollable sniggering*

Cause it's been a while.

Like, a long while.

11 years since the last good overall Sonic game. C'mon SEGA.
Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World were all good games.
Generations - overhyped crap game relying on nostalgia to win over fans only to result in some nice looking levels and some classic music. If that was SEGA's best efforts at celebrating such a big moment in Sonic's history then they clearly didn't have their heads screwed on properly.

Bad story, bad voice acting and horrendously short. Every game afterwards basically has this problem.

Colors has the same issue, nice looking levels and a decent soundtrack, everything else is plain bad.

Lost World...oh dear, in general.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
You remember what happened last time we got a 'new next-gen sonic title?'. That's right, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' on X360 and PS3. The worst Sonic game ever made, and there's a lot of tough competition for that title.

At this point we just have to assume any Sonic game will suck until proven otherwise. You can only cling desperately to Generations for so long.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Charli said:
Fox12 said:
Yeah, you know Game of Thrones? The series everyone thinks is dark? Yeah, Berserk is worse. Much worse. The Red Wedding is basically like an episode of barney compared to Berserk. It's okay though, because Berserk has better writing and plot progression.

OT: Yeah, does anyone really care about Sonic anymore? Isn't that series basically on life support at this point? One cannot live off of nostalgia alone.
I'm not typing this to change your mind or anything, but yeah some people do still enjoy the series. (SELECTIVE PARTS OF IT)
I play Sonic 3 with my siblings at Christmas every year without fail. It's become it's own kind of strange tradition.
Hey, if they can revitalize the franchise I'd be willing to give it another look. I grew up with classic titles and Dreamcast games. I just lost faith after the aforementioned '06 and Shadow titles. That said, I know some die hards who still love the series.

Maybe they should just hand the title over to the Total War department. Or to Atlus. That would make for a... unique experiance.

And how the heck did this thread become more about berserk then Sonic? : P

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
oldtaku said:
You remember what happened last time we got a 'new next-gen sonic title?'. That's right, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' on X360 and PS3. The worst Sonic game ever made, and there's a lot of tough competition for that title.
Now now, Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't the worst Sonic game ever. Oh no, there was one that was even worse that came out the same day as Sonic 06, and that abomination was:

Not that the game plays like that one a regular GBA, GameBoy Player, and emulator. The framerate drops to hell, your momentum is messed up, the music is bit crunched even though the GBA is as powerful as an SNES, and the screen crunch will get you killed by off screen hazards. The only time the framerate is stable is inside the special stages in which you plow through the barriers very fast.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Neronium said:
Now now, (new) Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't the worst Sonic game ever. Oh no, there was one that was even worse that came out the same day as Sonic 06, and that abomination was:

I missed that one (luckily). Can anyone else top this? Also added a (new) up there so it's in context.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
oldtaku said:
I missed that one (luckily). Can anyone else top this? Also added a (new) up there so it's in context.
Sonic Genesis had a lot of it's physics and momentum problems because for some stupid reason Sonic Team decided to use the Sonic Advanced engine when trying to port the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. The results, terrible. There are a lot of people who don't know about Sonic Genesis or that it existed, but we shall never forget the abomination it was.
Because while 06 was bad, it was bad from the beginning. Sonic Genesis took something that was great, and made it into crap. T^T

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
After playing Generations(PC and 3DS), Colors(DS), Black Knight, Secret Rings, the lackluster 3DS Lost World demo and watching lets plays of other Sonic games made in the past ten years, I've realized Sega still has no idea how to handle a 3D Sonic game and can't find a decent direction for the franchise.

In Generations, playing Genesis era stages is usually fun for both Sonics, but the fun level hits extreme turbulence in every act based on post Genesis games, especially as modern Sonic. Generations also had IMHO poor choices for stages from Sonic's past. I loved Hydrocity Zone and other cool places, but they gave us really bland looking places instead and poorer layouts than the originals.

The games just have too many gimmicks put in to try and keep him relevant. The Colors gimmick was neat but in both version the level design and how you obtained those powers hurt the games overall. The view for his speed in every game is also horrible. I just want a classic styled Sonic game with no stupid ranking and ridiculous amounts of springs patterns/boosters throwing you around and not giving you enough time to react. The Advance series was the last to deliver on this, they ruined that by shoehorning in the loads and loads of characters that Sonic Team needs stop thinking we like as playable characters or even seeing. Sonic 4: Ep. 2 fixed the physics problems with Ep. 1, but it failed to sell good enough to warrant more episodes since they released a game right before that had touched people in a place or in a way that made them feel uncomfortable. And that's no good.

I have waited for any recent Sonic game I wanted to drop in price since the Adventure era, and the amount I'm willing to pay is getting lower even as Sonic supposedly is making a slight comeback. Sega, you better make this a good game. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I actually loved Sonic Generations so much I bought it twice, once for Xbox 360 and again for PC so I could take it on the road with my laptop. It really seems to be the epitome of Sonic, at least for me. Hopefully this new game will be like that and less like Sonic the Hegehog (360), Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors and Sonic Heroes (SOOOOOOOO BAD!).

I think Sonic Team is just worried if they make a pure Sonic game without a bunch of stupid gimmicks that people won't buy it. They need to wake up and realize the gimmicks are the problem.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
The Gentleman said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I want to see the game that Shadow the Hedgehog should have been; an ultra-gimdark gorefest that puts Berserk to shame.
Didn't they already make that game?
Chimpzy said:
I see you've been frequenting the same hentai sites as me...

OT: Here's the trick to making a new Sonic game no matter what the generation is:

Make it a 2D platformer. Don't try to make it 3D. That's always ended badly. Just make it a real shiny, polished, and multiple-pathed 2D platformer. You don't even need a story. It worked for New Super Mario Brothers Wii/WiiU; It can work for Sonic.
This logic isn't completely accurate. Both of the Sonic adventures were good, Sonic Generations was good and while I haven't played it I've heard quite a few not so glamorous things about Sonic 4 so both sides of your reasoning fall apart pretty quickly. What they NEED is a game that doesn't try to be gimmicky as hell (I'm looking at you storybook games) that also has a control scheme that doesn't suck ass (I'm looking at you Lost World)

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Guys, whats important to remember is that things could always be worst..... The game could be coming out this year.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Thank goodness they're not making another one. What they SHOULD do is focus on making a new IP for a 3D platformer. People have been asking about those for a bit.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
After the edit: Welp. That's kinda funny. An online store called Coolshop had mistakingly put the option of pre-orders for the next Smash Bros. up already when the Wii U came out. The cover they used? A fan photoshop of the Brawl cover with Pac Man on it. Awkward.