UPDATE: PlayStation 4 in Stock at Best Buy

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
UPDATE: PlayStation 4 in Stock at Best Buy

Best Buy has a very limited stock of PlayStation 4s.

UPDATE: As expected, Best Buy's stock has been devoured. Have you thought about picking up a Wii U?

If you're trying to snag a PlayStation 4 before the holidays, you might be in luck. Best Buy currently has a small stash available.

But before you throw on a scarf and rush to the nearest Best Buy, you should know that the inventory is only available online, and must be shipped directly to the customer. So, you may not get the kind of immediate gratification that you were hoping for, but at least you'll be able to play Killzone: Shadow Fall.

As usual, you should expect these consoles to sell out very quickly. The last time Best Buy came into a stockpile, the consoles reportedly sold out in about 20 minutes. So, you obviously don't have a ton of time.

Recently, Sony has been accused of creating an artificial PlayStation 4 shortage, but SCEA president Jack Tretton denies the allegations. "I get asked a lot if we've created an artificial shortage in order to create a feeding frenzy, and the answer is no," he said on the PlayStation Blogcast [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/13/playstation-blogcast-101-the-next-generation/]. "We have competition out there and there are lots of things that people can spend money on. The holidays only come around once a year, so that's when we really want to take advantage of the market opportunity."

If you have read this entire article, the PlayStation 4s are probably already sold out. Sorry. Sometimes I just can't stop writing.

Source: Best Buy [http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games/PlayStation-4-PS4/pcmcat295700050012.c?id=pcmcat295700050012&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchterm=playstation%204]

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Seems kinda silly to post an article just about who has stock of something for the next couple of hours. Beneficial to people truly desperate to get a ps4 but otherwise silly.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The most amusing and relevant part was the accusations of an artificial shortage. The thing is their response might be something other than totally laughable if Sony hadn't done the same thing the last few times they released a console.

Some will of course call this insane, but really I do think there needs to be an investigation there, and criminal charges filed if the shortage is artificial due to the violence it's already inspired (someone being murdered trying to sell one for example).

Sorry, by now Sony can't really claim ignorance as to the demand.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm just amazed as to how people aren't getting their hands on the new generation console. I've gotten some for people at work with little to no effort. Unfortunately I had to go to gamestop yesterday and I facepalmed when I saw people had been waiting for like 4 hours in the freezing cold to get a ps4 when the target across the street had like 10 of them.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Two and a half hours later... sold out.

Maybe an update if needed for this article?

Meh... I have two ps4s.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Therumancer said:
The most amusing and relevant part was the accusations of an artificial shortage. The thing is their response might be something other than totally laughable if Sony hadn't done the same thing the last few times they released a console.

Some will of course call this insane, but really I do think there needs to be an investigation there, and criminal charges filed if the shortage is artificial due to the violence it's already inspired (someone being murdered trying to sell one for example).

Their factories can only produce so fast.

To maximize sales, an artificial shortage would appear on launch day, and black friday, but places would be able to get enough inventory to meet consumer demand for the rest of the holiday season. That way they get the hype of a shortage, while still pushing mad units. If stores are still sold out on Dec 16, it's a legit shortage. Remember, come January, a lot of the people who wanted a PS4 for Christmas and couldn't get one (whether because of an artificial shortage or a real one) will either not have the money for one anymore, or will get something else instead, such as an Xbox One or even a Wii U. It's not in Sony's best interest to produce an artificial shortage right now.

P.S. Thanks

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Covarr said:
Therumancer said:

Their factories can only produce so fast.

To maximize sales, an artificial shortage would appear on launch day, and black friday, but places would be able to get enough inventory to meet consumer demand for the rest of the holiday season. That way they get the hype of a shortage, while still pushing mad units. If stores are still sold out on Dec 16, it's a legit shortage. Remember, come January, a lot of the people who wanted a PS4 for Christmas and couldn't get one (whether because of an artificial shortage or a real one) will either not have the money for one anymore, or will get something else instead, such as an Xbox One or even a Wii U. It's not in Sony's best interest to produce an artificial shortage right now.

P.S. Thanks
My basic attitude is that by now they know what the demand is going to be like, and if this wasn't done for the sake of hype they would never have put the product on the market without having produced enough units to meet the need.

The thing is that with game consoles it's not like other products where they will be driven to the competition. Those who want a PS-4 are still going to want one no matter when it's released, after all we're talking about a multi-year investment, and people's established precence on existing social networks and the like (especially now). Sony can do this because they know they won't actually lose customers, but they can potentially gain new ones by drawing them in with the feeding frenzy and the hype.

The whole "wow, we had no idea, and can only produce so many so fast..." thing was just barely possible the last two times, but as this is the third time the same company has pulled exactly the same garbage, I think they need to be held responsible, and considered complicit in any violence and damages resulting from the shortages, much like a guy setting off a Riot would be even if he didn't actually attack anyone or break anything.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Therumancer said:
The whole "wow, we had no idea, and can only produce so many so fast..." thing was just barely possible the last two times, but as this is the third time the same company has pulled exactly the same garbage, I think they need to be held responsible, and considered complicit in any violence and damages resulting from the shortages, much like a guy setting off a Riot would be even if he didn't actually attack anyone or break anything.
It's less a case of "we had no idea" and more a case of the machine wasn't finalized in time to start production when early enough to build the units they needed.

P.S. Thanks