Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

jowell24

Jun 13, 2010
I honestly think it looks slim and sleek. Not as stylish as people's apparent expectations but it I would definitely not call it ugly. (Tbh the Xbox One isn't "ugly" per-se, it's just siding on the more plain and dull side)

Looks aside, when they revealed the console I was most happy about its size and weight. Sony were quite with the shape as it makes it hard to discern its size but since I am a person who moves their console around more than average the design is a plus for me. I also like how it reminds me of the PS2.

That being said I hope it's capable of better heat dissipation so we won't face a potential RLOD problem in the future. My fatboy PS3 lasted until last year before I upgraded to the slim after several third party repairs

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
jowell24 said:
My fatboy PS3 lasted until last year before I upgraded to the slim after several third party repairs
My original PS2 model is still going strong after 12 years. Hell, I still have my SNES kicking around somewhere and I would be willing to bet money that it still works.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I actually rather like the look. Go figure.

Not that I mind. Thing could be shaped like a pink toilet for all I care, so long as it serves its purpose correctly.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
Roxor said:
Why does damn near everything seem to be in black these days? About the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the WiiU and a couple of smartphones. PC cases? Black, black, and more black. Enough! Give us some variety!
Have you seen any PC cases lately? They're frequently white, transparent, or lit up with neon lights.
Ugh. The neon lights... I'm torn as whether that or the excessive black is worse. The last time I looked at a hardware retailer's web site, nearly all the cases were black, and the few which weren't had ugly design.

Also, the PS3 comes in red or white as well as black.
True, but it's not the default, which is what everyone thinks of when you mention the product.

And apart from the just announced (but not available yet) new Mac Pro, you can't even buy an Apple computer that's black. They're all aluminium.
Heh. That's funny. The main company that isn't going nuts with black is the one I absolutely refuse to give money to.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know why so much hate for the design. I absolutely love it. It's so simple yet so slick and powerful looking. I want to cuddle with it.

I'm serious. It's not a complicated design. In fact it's very minimalistic. There's not a lot of buttons and other stuff popping out of it, yet it's not completely boxy. It will really fit well in my room. The glossy part on the left and texturized look on the right reminds me a bit of PS2 Slim.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
the fools! what happens when you need to perform some underside maintenance, i cant put the console on its back! what, am i supposed to put it on its SIDE?! absurdity! madness!

well theyre both sleek black monoliths, some important graphic artist must really like 2001: a space odyssey. i honestly dont care what it looks like, and i dont think anyone here really does either, but the media makes a giant fuss about it so i guess we dont want to make them feel stupid and go along with it. either way its just gonna sit there and play games, all that matters is a manageable size and for it to not be fragile. god i miss the gamecube.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Looks... ugly. Looks a bit blocky and old. Don't like the controller, I can see myself looking stupidly at that for a while before I get used to it.
Don't like the idea of having no start and select button where they usually are. Won't be stopping me getting one when the price goes down a bit and they stop making PS3 games though.

Intrigued to see what the slim version will look like.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Not really a fan of the look. But it's not all that important to me. As long as it works (plus continues to work for the next couple of years) and doesn't cost $600.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I can't see this as ugly. And as a pro as much as I do like the looks of the PS3.. that rounded design makes it harder to stack with. This .. yeah I can stack with this.

Size seems okay.. again it will fit nicely next to the television. And in the end you look at the screen, not at the console, while playing. And yet they gave it a bit of flair with the slanted design.

And yes before you ask I remember when the PS1 was cutely small with big round buttons. So cute! Well making things smaller only can go so far...and a PS4 is quite a powerful. PC. Yup I said it ;)

So I forgive its size..