[UPDATE] PSN Password Reset Vulnerable to Exploit

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Lucane said:
tzimize said:
So. I'm not quite getting this. Its bad publicity, yes. Particularly bad after the PSN hack. And I dont like the thought of my credic card info being where its not supposed to. But my PSN account?

Er...what could they possibly accomplish by stealing my PSN account? Could anyone paint me a worst case scenario and quote me? Because I cant really see what the horror of this is. Or is it just standardly blown out of proportion?
They get your account take a system link(of which you can only have five of without requesting a reset)change the password and then proceed to buy a ton of new games on it and then either keep it or sell the loaded system with your info on it.

Overall losing you your PSN identity money(even if your card covers/removes the charge for theft they likely won't help replace the lost currency replacing games you personally bought on the stolen account which becomes invalid without a valid PSN password for the user being on the system.)and losing your friends list or at the very least having to re-send all the friend request and explaining your new persona as the former *****,profiles of online only saves (Like Warhawk,MAG, or P.S. Home)and losing of trophies if you're into them.
Ok, thanks for that info! :)

Well, I'm in the clear then. I think I've bought only a handful of games, none of which is important to me. And I usually never play online so my friendslist dont matter. Only RL friends on it anyway. I guess I'm more or less safe :p

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
gphjr14 said:
pokepuke said:
No shit, Sherlock. And Sony is learning that the hard way. Looks like being dicks and pissing off customers wasn't the best idea.
­
­
You really need to calm down kid its not that serious and your last sentence applies more to the hackers than SONY since most people didn't really give a damn about Linux on PS3. Those that made the biggest deal out of it were the ones who wanted to play ripped games online, which I believe is still possible but its more of a hassle. Those who really wanted Linux just bought a damn computer.
Playstation's Cell processor is a great thing and a powerfull tool. Sony offered it at a very, very cheap price. I was thinking of explaining to you what you can do with Linux + PS3 architecture, but I doubt you'll understand. Let's just say that the people who bought Playstation 3 for the Linux weren't interested in video games.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Farewell Playstation, we hardly knew thee....

I honestly don't see how Sony can regain consumer confidence after this, i certainly won't be buying a Playstation again.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
pokepuke said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:
So no, its not Sony's fault that criminals attacked them. They don't live everyday expecting a huge hack like this to occur. You trying to act like they left their doors oopen is laughable.
So basically you have no clue about the fundamentals of network security.
­
­
gphjr14 said:
You really need to calm down kid its not that serious and
You really need to learn how to write properly.

your last sentence applies more to the hackers than SONY since most people didn't really give a damn about Linux on PS3.
Non-sequitur.

Those that made the biggest deal out of it were the ones who wanted to play ripped games online, which I believe is still possible but its more of a hassle.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Seems like you don't understand the subject matter you are trying to discuss.

Those who really wanted Linux just bought a damn computer.
Why would it be about using Linux? No one was buying a PS3 just to run Linux. It seems fairly obvious that the intentions were running a full-featured OS on the PS3 system. I imagine it would be fairly difficult to run an OS on the PS3 by using a regular computer.
And you do? LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes you are right, Sony left their system WIDE open for hackers and are to blame. Long live the hackers right? LMFAO. I hope you stick around here longer. Your fanboyism amuses me.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
pokepuke said:
gphjr14 said:
loogie said:
this isn't a legal issue, they promoted their product to do things other then just games, then they removed that very concept, just because it's legal for them to do so, doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more.
What you want and expect and what actually happens can be very different things as is the case here. Its life.
No shit, Sherlock. And Sony is learning that the hard way. Looks like being dicks and pissing off customers wasn't the best idea.
­
­
IamSofaKingRaw said:
What? You are acting like Sony didn't have firewalls and protection. The hackers...hackedinto the PSN. Don't try and act as if its Sony's fault hackers HACKED into te system.
So it isn't Sony's fault for not having the proper dedicated staff for security? It's not their fault for having outdated server software?

It isn't like the movie The Invention of Lying and suddenly this previously impossible situation had started to occur that no one could foresee. A huge tech corporation with tons of online business should definitely know better.
From where are you getting that Sony didn't have the proper dedicated staff for security? From the Escapist? That story was debunked. I should know. I debunked it myself. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109747-Sony-Sought-Security-Staff-Shortly-After-Shutdown

From where are you getting that Sony had outdated server software? From the Escapist? That story's been debunked. They were using version 2.2.17 of Apache (the most current version available) as far back as March 23, which is well before the April 19 intrusion. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h9540GDnnIoJ:auth.np.ac.playstation.net:443/+auth.np.ac.playstation.net

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This is just an epic facepalm moment. So so glad i reset my password via the ps3

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
pokepuke said:
So it isn't Sony's fault for not having the proper dedicated staff for security? It's not their fault for having outdated server software?

It isn't like the movie The Invention of Lying and suddenly this previously impossible situation had started to occur that no one could foresee. A huge tech corporation with tons of online business should definitely know better.
From where are you getting that Sony didn't have the proper dedicated staff for security? From the Escapist? That story was debunked. I should know. I debunked it myself. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109747-Sony-Sought-Security-Staff-Shortly-After-Shutdown
If they had proper dedicated security staff, why would they look to bring someone in? Think about it.
­
­
gphjr14 said:
* You really need to learn how to read more carefully.
um... touché? No, not really.
* Your last sentence applies more to the hackers that were DOSing PSN and other attacks.
Yet Sony is on the defensive. The ultimate lesson is for Sony. Hackers doing whatever they want to don't need to learn anything when they can do it so well. That is, unless you think the lesson is that corporations can do whatever the fuck they want, to the detriment of their own customers.
* You seem to be unaware of the whole geohot, homebrewing, hacking situation and really need to educate YOURSELF before you try and discuss the topic.
More non-sequitur. It's mostly irrelevant, other than bad business to attack those people and remove features they paid for.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
pokepuke said:
JDKJ said:
pokepuke said:

If they had proper dedicated security staff, why would they look to bring someone in? Think about it.
­
­
gphjr14 said:
* You really need to learn how to read more carefully.
um... touché? No, not really.
* Your last sentence applies more to the hackers that were DOSing PSN and other attacks.
Yet Sony is on the defensive. The ultimate lesson is for Sony. Hackers doing whatever they want to don't need to learn anything when they can do it so well. That is, unless you think the lesson is that corporations can do whatever the fuck they want, to the detriment of their own customers.
* You seem to be unaware of the whole geohot, homebrewing, hacking situation and really need to educate YOURSELF before you try and discuss the topic.
More non-sequitur. It's mostly irrelevant, other than bad business to attack those people and remove features they paid for.
Did you read the article fully and keenly? They were looking to hire a Security Analyst long before the hack occurred. That they were isn't -- couldn't have been -- in response to the hack.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
pokepuke said:
Did you read the article fully and keenly? They were looking to hire a Security Analyst long before the hack occurred. That they were isn't -- couldn't have been -- in response to the hack.
I thought I said to think about it.

Who said it was in response? How does a "Security Analyst" make a proper dedicated security staff, and how would it negate the need to hire outside sources to figure out their problems? Really now, think about it, think on whether bring in one guy is comparable to consulting firms or whoever helped them out, and think about how a tech company with a major online presence should have a proper security team, not looking for a security team.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
pokepuke said:
JDKJ said:
pokepuke said:
I thought I said to think about it.

Who said it was in response? How does a "Security Analyst" make a proper dedicated security staff, and how would it negate the need to hire outside sources to figure out their problems? Really now, think about it, think on whether bring in one guy is comparable to consulting firms or whoever helped them out, and think about how a tech company with a major online presence should have a proper security team, not looking for a security team.
And you think the one position of "Senior Application Security Analyst" they were looking to fill comprised their entire IT security staff? And wasn't but one position among many positions in their IT security team? And the fact that the position's title includes the word "Senior" doesn't suggest to you that it isn't the only Application Security Analyst on staff? And that they, like every other business, don't experience employee turnover and have to refill vacated positions from time to time? And what makes you think that they didn't have to consult extensively with the outside vendor who provided them with what I have to assume is a fairly large IT system?

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
And you think the one position of "Senior Application Security Analyst" they were looking to fill comprised their entire IT security staff?
That was what your post indicated, not mine.

And wasn't but one position among many positions in their IT security team?
Again, refer to your post. You brought up the classified article as if it was evidence of something. Did you happen to forget why you posted it?

And the fact that the position's title includes the word "Senior" doesn't suggest to you that it isn't the only Application Security Analyst on staff?
No. It doesn't have to mean that at all. It can simply mean a level of experience.

And does this even relate to having a proper dedicated security staff? If they still needed lots of outside help, then perhaps their bare-bones team isn't really cutting it.

And that they, like every other business, don't experience employee turnover and have to refill vacated positions from time to time?
Irrelevant to me. You brought that up, and it's not clear why.

And what makes you think that they didn't have to consult extensively with the outside vendor who provided them with what I have to assume is a fairly large IT system?
Did you even read my posts? It seems you didn't really understand anything I said. I basically pointed out at they needed outside help and that it is a major issue, and you're here asking why I might think they didn't. And if you're trying to say that the IT setup was given to Sony so it must be completely foreign to them, just where is that angle coming from?

Seriously, do you need glasses or something? Try reading more carefully, or actually reading anything at all, considering how little your post appears to be in response to my post.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
pokepuke said:
JDKJ said:
And you think the one position of "Senior Application Security Analyst" they were looking to fill comprised their entire IT security staff?
That was what your post indicated, not mine.

And wasn't but one position among many positions in their IT security team?
Again, refer to your post. You brought up the classified article as if it was evidence of something. Did you happen to forget why you posted it?

And the fact that the position's title includes the word "Senior" doesn't suggest to you that it isn't the only Application Security Analyst on staff?
No. It doesn't have to mean that at all. It can simply mean a level of experience.

And does this even relate to having a proper dedicated security staff? If they still needed lots of outside help, then perhaps their bare-bones team isn't really cutting it.

And that they, like every other business, don't experience employee turnover and have to refill vacated positions from time to time?
Irrelevant to me. You brought that up, and it's not clear why.

And what makes you think that they didn't have to consult extensively with the outside vendor who provided them with what I have to assume is a fairly large IT system?
Did you even read my posts? It seems you didn't really understand anything I said. I basically pointed out at they needed outside help and that it is a major issue, and you're here asking why I might think they didn't. And if you're trying to say that the IT setup was given to Sony so it must be completely foreign to them, just where is that angle coming from?

Seriously, do you need glasses or something? Try reading more carefully, or actually reading anything at all, considering how little your post appears to be in response to my post.
That you think when a position is advertised as "Senior Application Security Analyst," the "Senior" refers not to the position relative to other Application Security Analysts but, rather, "can simply mean a level of experience," tells me that further discussion with you is a waste of my time.

Thanksalothaveagooddaybyebye.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
That you think when a position is advertised as "Senior Application Security Analyst," the "Senior" refers not to the position relative to other Application Security Analysts but, rather, "can simply mean a level of experience,"
Except what I said meant it does mean it is relative, just not necessarily to the people already hired by Sony. Duh...

It's funny you think this talking point even matters to anything at all in any discussion.

tells me that further discussion with you is a waste of my time.

Thanksalothaveagooddaybyebye.
Okay, I get it. You actually read my post again, for real this time, and realized that almost everything you said was practically in response to your own post, not mine. Now you've ignored every point made and singled out the most useless tidbit from a tangential thing you brought up.

But maybe you're right, that one "analyst" being hired to round out the team would have avoided the need for Sony to bring in a security firm to investigate the problem for them.

Actually, your best bet would have been to pick up on the "vendor" issue and pretend that Sony didn't set up their own network. At least then you wouldn't look like you completely backpedaled your way out of having any conversation.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
JDKJ said:

From where are you getting that Sony had outdated server software? From the Escapist? That story's been debunked. They were using version 2.2.17 of Apache (the most current version available) as far back as March 23, which is well before the April 19 intrusion. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h9540GDnnIoJ:auth.np.ac.playstation.net:443/+auth.np.ac.playstation.net
The problem wasn't the security staff or the Apache version. The problem was that PSN was programmed in such a way as to divulge personal information upon a certain set of credentials. There are any number of safeguards Sony could have put in place to deny or limit the damage, such as blocking off IP's demanding more than a few sets of information.

That's the first part that should not have happened. The second part is that said information, including passwords, was unencrypted, allowing immediate use.

Hacking isn't some arcane magic; systems don't just get hacked unless there's something wrong with them and it's reasonable for people to expect that, at the very least, their personal data is encrypted.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Veylon said:
JDKJ said:

The problem wasn't the security staff or the Apache version. The problem was that PSN was programmed in such a way as to divulge personal information upon a certain set of credentials. There are any number of safeguards Sony could have put in place to deny or limit the damage, such as blocking off IP's demanding more than a few sets of information.

That's the first part that should not have happened. The second part is that said information, including passwords, was unencrypted, allowing immediate use.

Hacking isn't some arcane magic; systems don't just get hacked unless there's something wrong with them and it's reasonable for people to expect that, at the very least, their personal data is encrypted.
I can't argue if what Sony did or didn't do was reasonably sufficient to avoid data loss. I don't think anyone can because the totality of what Sony did or didn't do isn't at all clear or of general public knowledge. Moreover, I don't think there's any way to absolutely guarantee that data will be immune to a determined hacker or that it's fair to say that a network doesn't get hacked unless there's "something wrong" with it. There are always going to be vulnerable spots in a system and it is these vulnerabilities that are always going to be subject to exploitation. No security is hack-proof. For example, encryption isn't a guarantee against loss of personal data in a usable form. Encryption merely adds another layer of difficulty to a successful theft of the data. But if the encrypted data can be stolen, it's not a far reach from that point to stealing the means of decrypting the data. Or, alternatively, once having stole it, forcing it through rainbow tables that will eventually decrypt it. But we do know, according to Sony, that the most sensitive data (i.e., the credit card information) was encrypted. All data isn't of equal importance or sensitivity. If my name and birth date are stolen in an uncrypted form, I don't think a thief's doing much damage with that information alone. And encrypting data so as to make theft more difficult also tends to make authorized use to the data more difficult. There's a point at which making the data difficult to access by a hacker creates access and use difficulties for the authorized user. A bank could cement your money in a concrete casing thereby making theft difficult. But doing so will also make it difficult for you to withdraw that money with ease.