Update: Reddit Suicide Lawsuit Is a Hoax

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Revolutionaryloser said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
Surprise, surprise! The MRA are still a bunch of worthless scum. I don't know how legal it would be for them to pay for this man's death but if they do end up being charged I will be slightly happier. I think few people deserve to suffer more than the MRA.
What?

So men who want to be treated fairly by the courts when it comes to them being victims of domestic violence and the courts being biased against them when it comes to the custody of their children are scum?
Yes. You read that right. And if you let me elaborate: Domestic violence on males is a joke. The idea of men being opressed and tortured on the strength of archaic gender roles makes no fucking sense.
Oh really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and_Lorena_Bobbitt

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Good show, troll. Disgusting and evil, but well done.

I kinda doubt he had any ulterior motive other than to scare the shit out of other trolls, and it looks like he was wildly successful in that regard.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Guess who's going to hell for that hoax? That guy.

Well done, dude, well done.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Revolutionaryloser said:
cidbahamut said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
Surprise, surprise! The MRA are still a bunch of worthless scum. I don't know how legal it would be for them to pay for this man's death but if they do end up being charged I will be slightly happier. I think few people deserve to suffer more than the MRA.
What?

So men who want to be treated fairly by the courts when it comes to them being victims of domestic violence and the courts being biased against them when it comes to the custody of their children are scum?
Yes. You read that right. And if you let me elaborate: Domestic violence on males is a joke. The idea of men being opressed and tortured on the strength of archaic gender roles makes no fucking sense.
Oh really?
You really have me scratching my head here. This girl was raped and she cut off her husbands dick. Are you saying I'm right? Well, I guess this article proves my point pretty concisely.
You're saying domestic violence is a one way street, I'm saying it can go either way.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Revolutionaryloser said:
cidbahamut said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
cidbahamut said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
bit_crusherrr said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
What?

Oh really?
You really have me scratching my head here. This girl was raped and she cut off her husbands dick. Are you saying I'm right? Well, I guess this article proves my point pretty concisely.
You're saying domestic violence is a one way street, I'm saying it can go either way.
I'm saying you don't understand what domestic violence is. Domestic violence is linked to the abuse of gender roles. When a married woman attacks her husband that's just good old fashioned violence and is punished as such by the law.
"Domestic violence is defined as a pattern of abusive behaviors by one partner against another in an intimate relationship such as marriage, dating, family, or cohabitation."

I fail to see how wives attacking husbands is different than husbands attacking wives.
Domestic violence is domestic violence bro, gender isn't a factor.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
bahumat42 said:
aaron552 said:
Reddit itself is subpoenaed to report the real names of the users involved in the suit
AFAIK, reddit doesn't ask for your real name when you sign up (just a username, password and [optional] email address) so they wouldn't be able to provide this information even if they were ordered to.
they would be able to pinpoint the ip the post originated from. Its fairly easy to track people down.
That is, of course, assuming that reddit saves this information. Why would they?

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
bahumat42 said:
aaron552 said:
bahumat42 said:
aaron552 said:
Reddit itself is subpoenaed to report the real names of the users involved in the suit
AFAIK, reddit doesn't ask for your real name when you sign up (just a username, password and [optional] email address) so they wouldn't be able to provide this information even if they were ordered to.
they would be able to pinpoint the ip the post originated from. Its fairly easy to track people down.
That is, of course, assuming that reddit saves this information. Why would they?
Id imagine its automated so as to allow things such as ip bans. Its quite commonplace.
Of course it's commonplace, the question is whether reddit can provide the court with a real name. The answer is that they cannot.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Baldr said:
poiumty said:
On-topic: I have no problems with what happened and believe that the reddit users were completely within their rights. I would not support this if the guy had no intent to kill himself, but as it stands, it is not and should not be anyone's responsibility or duty to convince someone that he should not take his own life.
It is everyone's responsibility to save lives. If not you should be locked away.
Say who, you?

Now I will gladly help someone in need but that is my choice to do so, NOT because of some law and most certainly not because of someone on a forum said so. If I was REQUIRED to be responsible for some stranger that can't take of themselves or be locked up for it then toss me in a cell and throw away the key because there's no way in hell I would do anything of the sort by force. In the end everyone's primary responsibility is to themselves and their loved ones, if they can help someone else out then wonderful but no they are not required by law to do so.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Greg Tito said:
The elaborate hoax cobbled together real facts to tell a compelling but imagined story. The post on Reddit's forum was real, and Black_Visions did make comments about his own death. Around that same time, a man killed himself in Tukwila, and a nameless entity on Reddit decided to link those two events, along with the fabricated story of a pending lawsuit, a cruel ex-wife, and a handicapped daughter.
Oh, so this was like the time a guy named John Romero was killed and someone combined the news report and a bloody Hallowe'en photo of "the" John Romero and posted it on a gaming news site. (It was a week that Romero was on vacation and off the grid too, so it had legs for quite some time.)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The sad part is that this is only going to encourage further behavior like this.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Just out of curiosity, with governments and corporations trying left and right to censor and control the internet, why the FUCK would you decide to go and give them ammo by posting a fake suicide letter?

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
TheKasp said:
Hammartroll said:
can I ask what that means? to not tolerate others being jerks?
and "sticks and stones" is true, cause sticks and stones can break your bones, but can an air vibration caused by vocal cords? nope. This is what people mean when they say common sense is dying.

btw, isn't the brony moto TO tolerate? haters gonna hate? I liked you guys, wtf happened?
The thing is: Words do harm. It is not physical but phsychological. Of course there are several layers to that subject. Does normal namecalling affect you as an adult? No, not unless you already have psychological problems. But verbal abuse is existant and nothing to be surprised of. Even if you think that you have a thick skin there are plenty of people who can use only words to break you down and change you.

But if you want to discuss this: It'll boil down to me knowing stuff only from friends who study / work in this field and what I saw them do to people out of fun. I am basically not qualified for a deep discussion in that field. But do I need to be? Such news pop up at least every month, people get affected by "words on the interwebz" and then there are always people who, whatever is the background, will bring up this saying. Do we need more proof than psychological studies and all this news to finally realise that "words do harm" should finally be part of common sense?

What I mean with not tolerate: First one, I'm not a brony ;). I like the show but I can't say that I am a part of the fandom.

Second: I find that anonymity has caused us to accept jerkish behaviour a little too much. We make fun of those guys who yell racist and sexist shit at xbla but why are they there? Because we seem to accept that. "Don't feed the troll", "this is how the internet works" and all that stuff are excuses for us to do jack. Call them out, in the internet and in RL if you know someone who behaves like that. I know that I do that. I stopped playing anything in MP with friends of mine because they want to play with this one guy who starts flaming whenever he is about to lose.
First, as exemplified by this very thread, professionals can differ in opinion. Some lawyers think it's a crime to goad someone to suicide, some don't and I'm sure there are just as educated people in psychology who would disagree that words can cause harm against our will. News and studies dosn't make something fact, that's why we have laws and theories.

What about changing your belief? Belief dosn't have to be fact, it's only perception.
Let's take the Pavlov's dogs experiment; what if you had a person listen to a tape recording of a hateful thing that makes that person feel bad over and over again, but after every time he listens to it he eats a piece of candy. Even if you don't eat that candy in a real life situation, you've conditioned yourself to have a happy outlook to hearing that. And you only need tricks like this until you get good at it, then you can make anything you don't like be nothing more than water off a duck's back.
You can perceive something to be a bad thing, and then you can choose to not. Some people aren't aware that they have the power to make a positive change in their own life, which is why we need to help others imo. Psychologists today don't use techniques like this anymore, they just give you a pill. Happiness determined by a companie's product, what a brave future.

And as far as putting the government in power of deciding what words are harmful in order to take care of us (not that your saying this but other people are) I've learned the hard way that the government, as it stands, does not have our best wishes at heart. We can only help eachother.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
renegade7 said:
Just out of curiosity, with governments and corporations trying left and right to censor and control the internet, why the FUCK would you decide to go and give them ammo by posting a fake suicide letter?
because people are short sighted emotional creatures, the kind of people Fox news preys on

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Tubez said:
Farther than stars said:
McMullen said:
If these people can be held responsible for causing a person's suicide, then so can landlords, banks, spouses, significant others, family members, schoolmates, or anyone else who can give a person a bad enough day that they make it their last.
And they are. Accessories to suicide are taken very seriously and with good reason. If we were to limit the act of killing, be it oneself or another person, to a mere physical process, then we wouldn't be able to prosecute people who order assassinations and the like. There is no pragmatic doubt in areas of legal matters, philosophy and psychology that socialogical incentives have as much to do with individual actions as the freedom of that individual.
But the bottom line is: if you're mentioned in a person's suicide note, then you could loose that same freedom for a very long time.
So lets say a bank evict you from your house cause you do not pay your loans and therefor the he/she commits suicide since he/she cannot stand being homeless and mention it in his suicide note.
Do you think the banks should be punished? since he/she wouldn't have committed suicide if he/she still had his/her house
In my judgement there's a difference between giving someone a reason to kill themselves and telling them to kill themselves, or bulling that person into it. Whereas for instance asking someone for the money they owe you has no foreseeable correlation to them committing suicide (from the perspective of the bank), the correlation between urging someone to commit suicide and them then doing it is very strong. Of course these are very extreme examples and eventually it comes down to the courts to sort out the grey areas.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
McMullen said:
--snip--

You're outraged, and you're allowing that outrage to overwhelm your judgement. You're coming to conclusions that are heavily distorted. Please calm down and take another look at the situation and try to see the implications of what you're saying.
This is the problem with the internet. With no discernible facial features it can be very hard to decipher a person's tone from a message. So for that reason it might be a good idea to assume that my tone was neutral, which it was.
But because you incorrectly assumed that I was outraged, you called my judgement clouded on the basis of an unfounded statement, which I have taken offence to. I will therefore not be continuing this discussion with you, but if you're genuinely interested in me expanding my ideas on this subject, I aim your attention to the post above me.