UPDATE: Rumor: EA Already Has the 360's Successor, Microsoft to Reveal at E3

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
the ps3 has enough power to be ok for awhile ... if sony didnt keep sabotaging their own product.

the xbox 360 could use some extra power and blu ray (or something better than a dvd atleast).

as for the wii frankly its debatable if it even should be clasified as a 7th generation console and not a 6th generation.

considering how old they all are they should be able to outperform themselves easily and at lower cost.

and with graphics what they are and what they will be on a new generation that one might well be the last and go on for a long long time. they wont need to have a new until you can plug your brain into them.

skullpile

Aug 23, 2009
they are probably just announcing it in a pitiful attempt at "win" E3 "we are releasing a NEW XBOX" *cough cough 2014 cough* yay we win"

Nate-ndo

Apr 28, 2011
I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see that tired old dig that the Wii isn't 'current gen.'

-Generations are a time frame, and nothing else. Since Wii launched last, if anything, it is the most current gen of them all
-The Wii is more powerful (if not by much) than any of last gen's consoles. Sure, it's the weakest currently, but one of them has to be
-Sony and Microsoft bet that HD and online were this gen's gimmicks; Nintendo put it's money on motion controls and avatars (Miis). Regardless of what we, the enthusiasts, adamantly believe, the market has spoken and Nintendo was right. Notice how PS3/360 each copied both of the Wii's defining features, but Nintendo never had to copy the others
-And of course, the Wii pooped on the others in terms of sales

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
But I just paid for my 360 to be fixed! I reckon that the 360 has another 3-4 years in it and people are gonna be dying for some decent backwards compatibility.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Eh, on my current salary I can't even afford games anymore, much less a new console...

climbsyke

Apr 21, 2011
[/quote]
I'll concede the Cell-vs-PowerPC thing, but I have to take issue with the implication that any developer who's not already 100% Xbox-exclusive would drop support for Nvidia ? it is a necessity for making PC ports, after all.[/quote]

Yes Nvidia is a huge presence in the PC arena. There is no denying that. But on the console scene a software house would be able to a create cafe/720 game concurrently but would have to justify an entire team to port the game over to PS4. With spiralling costs on games it would be likely that a certain percentage of studio's would not have the finance or resources to entertain such an idea.
At first it may only be 1 game in ten, but then as the gap between available software widens sales of the console fall away making it harder and harder to justify the cost of developing.
Of course this is pure speculation based on pure speculation, I'm only looking at it from a developers point of view in the current economic climate.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
If it's the end of 2012, we're talking 18 months away. So the 360 will be about seven years old, which as someone above pointed out, is ancient in gaming terms. I think graphics in games could do with moving on by then...and for those people that say "graphics are not important to me", go and play with your Gameboys.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
UPDATE: EA's Vice President of Communications, Jeff Brown, has told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5799446/report-next+gen-xbox-already-at-ea-ea-thats-a-total-fabrication] that the story is "a total fabrication - 100 percent not true."

Well so much for this story.

My 2 cents: Microsoft is on a roll here I don't think they are going to make the next leap any time soon. Nintendo's new console look to only catch up to 360 in processing power not overtake it.

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
Well.. hell.. This might be why they delayed mass-effect 3... So that it could be released as a launch title for the xbox 720....

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
Jonny49 said:
This generation still has lots of life in it. Surely it's more cost-effective for the public and Microsoft to just keep with the 360?
And also, the costs of developing a current gen AAA title are still high. Imagine how high they would be with a new generation.

Your Nightmare

May 28, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
Your Nightmare said:
Pilkingtube said:
Your Nightmare said:
Pilkingtube said:
Your Nightmare said:
Scott Bullock said:
could be released by the end of 2012
No one else found this quite a coincidence?
Why would it be? 0_o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon
I still don't get it, why do people care what the Mayan calendar states, the Mayans clearly didn't do very well with their predictions, look where they are now.. or not as the case may be. Is this just another time-keeping problem like when windows didn't include the year 2000 and everybody spazzed out thinking the world would end from the millenium bug?

Really don't get all of this 'end of the world' stuff, it happens like every 4 years. :/

It's the talk of stupid people. I was just saying that the supposed end of the world is also tied with the rumoured release of the new Xbox console.
So, if I run around saying "The new Xbox will end the world in 2012!!" and say that a stack of pancakes wearing a hat told me, i'm actually going to be less stupid? :D

I still love that avatar btw. :p
Well I wouldn't condone such actions, plus I didn't actually say the new xbox would end the world - just they are both supposedly happening at the same time :p

Yes, I thought it was you have quoted me before regarding my avatar ;)

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I'll be happy if they still keep the gamertag system (don't see why they wouldn't) and have backwards compatibility. I would also like to be able to move everything I purchased from LIVE to the new console.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Your Nightmare said:
Pilkingtube said:
Your Nightmare said:
Scott Bullock said:
Why would it be? 0_o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon
http://www.alpheus.org/images/Mayan-Calendar.jpg

OT; I hope they aren't going to release a new console any time soon. I don't want to have to shell out hundreds of euros for a new console after doing the same just 2 years ago.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Your Nightmare said:
Scott Bullock said:
Considering we're currently in year 2011, and 2012 is the year following 2011, one can reasonably postulate most major announcements at e3 to be for 2012...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Scott Bullock said:
"Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June? It doesn't want to lose momentum. That's why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3," he said.
Hopefully not rushing enough to release another unstable console.
No... It will.

I was going to make a comment about Xbox "rushing" out their console, but it looks like the people at Xbox beat me to it. Essentially, they put a "INB4 rushed out" sticker on their announcement.