Update: Saints Row IV Ditches Drugs To Gain Aussie Blessing

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Saints Row IV Ditches Drugs To Gain Aussie Blessing

One loyalty mission is all that stood between Saints Row IV and a MA15+ rating.

You may recall that the Australian government harbors a deep-rooted suspicion of Deep Silver's Saints Row IV. Naughtiness and depravity - stuff you wouldn't want your wife or servants to look at, Mr. Lawrence - has, so far, persuaded the Australian Classification Board to deny it even the adult R18+ rating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126393-Saints-Row-IV-Refused-Classification-in-Australia-Again]. However good things come to those who just say no to drugs, and now that one loyalty mission - Shaundi's, involving alien narcotics - has been removed, the ACB has seen fit to grant it not the adult rating, but MA15+ status. Wives and servants may now rejoice, always preserving the decencies, naturally.

"The removal of this mission has no negative impact on the story or the superpowers and will not detract from the enjoyment players will get from their Saints Row IV experience," says Deep Silver. Plus, it's only about 20 minutes of game time, hardly a dealbreaker. As for the Rectifier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.823118-Saints-Row-IV-Season-Pass-Includes-Anal-Probe-Weapon], the alien probe that goes where no other probes have gone before, it's still in as DLC. Turns out "drug use related to incentives and rewards is not permitted," as the ACB put it when the R18+ was denied, is the only element that had to be dropped.

Saints Row IV, a PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 title, will come to Australia, and the rest of the world, in August 2013.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/02/modified-saints-row-4-given-australian-ma15-rating/]

Update: Apparently there's a co-op catch. Thanks to the deletion of the loyalty mission, Australian players won't be able to participate in co-op play, except with other Australians.

"Due to the changes we were forced to make, this version is different than the version rated by rating boards like the ESRB, USK, and PEGI, which is why it will be incompatible with those versions in co-op," says the developer.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/SaintsRow]

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
So, why is there an 18+ rating in australia then? Seems like more of an empty gesture than anything else at this point. Why have it if you are not going to use it and make things stay the same?

I just don't get certain politicians I suppose.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
At least nothing major had to be dropped as a result. Sucks that they had to cut content, but compared to the amount of content that game companies have needed to cut in the past at least this one seems minor. Still sad about the dragon and Bollywood ending being cut though. T^T

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Sounds like it was cut for everyone. Why not just cut it for them.

The rest of us understand it's a game enough that we could still have it. :/

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Is the edited version worldwide, or just for Oz?

Gaming has always been fucked up here, but i don't think we have ever managed to ruin it for everyone before.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
DataSnake said:
The big question: will the mission still be in the non-AU release?
Let me respond with another question (or two): Will most players notice/care? Will the game as a whole really be impacted by the section's cut?

Granted those that hear this news will *know*, but how likely are they to be playing through the game thinking "Dammit there was meant to be a drug-related mission here! I can totally see the join where it was cut out."

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
DataSnake said:
left 4 dead 2 was for me uncut when i got it from the US over ebay. it was only cut when i joined a server who had the cut version.
so i guess it will be the same.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
BoogieManFL said:
Sounds like it was cut for everyone. Why not just cut it for them.

The rest of us understand it's a game enough that we could still have it. :/
DataSnake said:
AntiChri5 said:
Is the edited version worldwide, or just for Oz?

Gaming has always been fucked up here, but i don't think we have ever managed to ruin it for everyone before.
Desert Punk said:
I hope it remains uncut for the rest of the world.

I dont need some retards in the aussie government deciding what I can and cant handle half way around the world.
I don't see why it'd be cut for the rest of the world, seeing as (as far as I'm aware), Australia is the only one that has a problem with it. I mean, the Dildo Bat was essentially removed from the Japanese version of Saints Row the Third, but that didn't mean the rest of the world lost it as well.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Borderlands 2 removed decapitation and dismemberment and all of the elaborate elemental deaths in order to mollify the german and australian censor boards. What pissed me off is the "community reps" claimed ignorance when called out on it. Later the developers finally owned up to it.

Apparently worldwide release opens up a game to worldwide censorship.

Which is another good reason to avoid games by corporate publishers, they will always compromise the developers creative vision when it could make more money.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Reading between the lines, does this mean that the much touted superpowers will only appear in one 20 minute mission, in a similar way to how they featured in that one mission from the The Trouble With Clones DLC?

I'm guessing that they will either only disappointing feature in one mission (which would be bad for Australian players who wouldn't get to use them at all), or if they are available outside that mission for use during free roam, then you won't need to use the alien narcotics to activate them once they've been unlocked (or you'd activate them by drinking the 'totally not a narcotic' Saints Flow energy drink).

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Blitzwing said:
hickwarrior said:
So, why is there an 18+ rating in australia then? Seems like more of an empty gesture than anything else at this point. Why have it if you are not going to use it and make things stay the same?

I just don't get certain politicians I suppose.
Because some things are believed to exceed the R18 rating such as glorify drugs.
Why does that matter?! I think anyone that is 18+ gets what drugs are about, so why censor it? The government isn't a nanny that can tell us what's wrong and what's right...

I feel like this just undermines the rating...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
rhizhim said:
Mmmmok. Is that something I'd get if I had played a SR game before?

hickwarrior said:
Why does that matter?! I think anyone that is 18+ gets what drugs are about, so why censor it? The government isn't a nanny that can tell us what's wrong and what's right...
That's where the Government would argue you're wrong!

Drugs are bad. Drugs are illegal. Therefore to simply acknowledge drugs is also wrong and bad and we've got your name and number now, boy.