UPDATE: SOE Closing Studios, Cutting 205 Staff

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UPDATE: SOE Closing Studios, Cutting 205 Staff

Over half of SOE studios are closing their doors for good.

Update: Sony Online Entertainment has confirmed that it is closing three offices, laying off 205 employees and cancelling production of its spy-based MMO The Agency. The studio intends to focus on developing MMOs based on its EverQuest and PlanetSide brands. The entire statement from SOE is below.

As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate 205 positions and close its Denver, Seattle and Tucson studios. As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games. All possible steps are being taken to ensure team members affected by the transition are treated with appropriate concern.

This strategic decision will have no impact on SOE's current portfolio of live games; additionally SOE will transition development efforts for the Denver and Tucson studios' suite of products to its San Diego headquarters. This strategic alignment of development resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online gaming and deliver on its promise of creating entertaining games for players of all ages, and servicing the 20 million players that visited SOE servers in just the past year.

This is terrible news, not only for the families of those workers who find themselves out of a job but also for the future of the MMO games business. SOE was one of the big guys, and for them to suffer these kinds of layoffs provides further proof that MMOs are not the cash cows they once were.

The Escapist sends whatever warm fuzzy support it can to those who have lost their jobs.

Original post: Sources suggest that Sony Online Entertainment, the publisher of high-profile MMOs like EverQuest 1 & 2, Star Wars Galaxies and most recently, DC Universe Online, is to close three of the studios under the SOE umbrella, as well as laying off staff in several others.

The rumors started flying after 3D Realms' George Broussard tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/georgeb3dr/status/53202116814192641] that SOE was considering looking at closing its Seattle studio. Broussard might seem like an odd source for such news, but it's not the first time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104875-Rumor-Hitman-Dev-Axes-Staff-Kills-Project-UPDATED] he's seemed to be the first to know about something like this: Last October, he tweeted about layoffs at IO Interactive, which were later confirmed by the studio.

But according to sources apparently close to the situation, it's not just the Seattle office that's at risk. SOE's studios in Tuscon, Arizona, and Denver, Colorado are apparently also scheduled for closure. Additionally, SOE has also apparently laid off half the staff at its Austin studio, and a large portion at San Diego. The total job losses constitute around a third of SOE's workforce.

Sony has yet to respond to these rumors, but if and when it does, we'll make sure to update the story.

Source: Kotaku [http://uk.kotaku.com/5787461/sonys-mmo-makers-close-three-studios-lay-off-one+third-of-workforce]

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
Damnit. I hope Planetside: Next doesn't get scrapped. I've been waiting years for a decent MMOFPS to come out... Why is it that there are so many right-clicky-auto-attacky-hotbar MMO's and nothing twitch based?

Harry Buddha Palm

Oct 22, 2008
Looks like it's not only true, but they canceled "The Agency" as well. That's a shame. The game looked interesting. Apparently, the new Planetside is still going.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1158571p1.html

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Callex said:
Damnit. I hope Planetside: Next doesn't get scrapped. I've been waiting years for a decent MMOFPS to come out... Why is it that there are so many right-clicky-auto-attacky-hotbar MMO's and nothing twitch based?
gibboss28 said:
I hope this isn't true...I want Planetside Next.
This is awesome... in a crap sort of way. It's like with Silicon Knights, how they developed Too Human instead of working on a sequel to Eternal Darkness. SOE had something really good going with Planetside, and then they decided to go into another project (like DC Universe Online) that just ends up being uninspiring and forgettable at best, or a boring, stupid piece of shit at worst.

Personally, I'm more interested in the new Tribes that's supposed to be coming out in a year or so, but yeah. Shame if we lose Planetside: Next.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
this is no rumor, from what i'm hearing. good friend of mine just lost her job after being there a month. totally sucks.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That reminds me. Better cancel my dcuo subscription before they take anything out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well this is a terrible April Fools joke.
[sub][sub]Wait, it's not?[/sub][/sub]
Well, bugger. That sucks. Always bad to see a company go down, especially by this much.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow that sucks. Was really looking forward to The Agency...

Losing your job sucks(massive understatement). Hopefully they can get back on their feet quickly.

Feb 13, 2008
So it's closing work on The Agency (new game that looked cool) to keep up work on Planetside and Everquest? Games that haven't been popular since...WoW came out?

Oh, SOE, why are you SO incompetent? You've not even fixed the damn ships in Everquest yet, and you've been working on that code for 10 years now.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Bad News Bears - although The Agency and DC Universe look terrible so maybe they'll have time to focus on better projects, but who's going to make them?

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
An industry that sets itself up for endemic expansions & contractions should remove the term 'fulltime employee' from its vocab. Project-based contracting is harsh, but at least it's honest about the relationships involved.

Cheers

Colin

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
HOORAY! The company that slaughtered Star Wars Galaxies like a ceremonional Goat is finally getting what it deserves!

I mean, yeah it sucks for those employees and I am sorry for them. I hope they find new jobs and get their lives back in order, sincerely as it isnt them that made the changes final, it was the suits in their big offices who get to keep their jobs and continue making awful games.

Still, at least now the karma train has slammed into their HQ and made me a very happy nerd ^_^

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Damn, I hope Pox Nora is ok.

I'm probably the only person on this site that would say that without a hint of sarcasm...

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
"MMOs" are not a cash cow. "MMO" is. One in particular. You know the one.

That's right, Farmville

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Irridium said:
Wow that sucks. Was really looking forward to The Agency...

Losing your job sucks(massive understatement). Hopefully they can get back on their feet quickly.
Agreed on both counts.

WarpCode

Mar 18, 2010
I wasted all that time following the progress of The Agency for nothing? Sigh SOE, you disappoint me once again.