Update: StarCraft II Pro Gamer Documentary Lands in October

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Update: StarCraft II Pro Gamer Documentary Lands in October

Rise of the ESports Hero follows Team Evil Geniuses over a year of playing competitive StarCraft II.

A peek into the world of StarCraft II professional gamers (or "progamers") is coming to television. Landrock Entertainment announced on Friday, September 20 that the Rise of the ESports Hero documentary will premiere October 26 on Global TV in Canada. Landrock Entertainment stated on their Facebook page that they "are actively looking to find outlets for the rest of the world." The documentary follows the StarCraft II division of Evil Geniuses (EG), a professional gaming team based in the United States. The documentary travels with the team for a year to tournaments in Canada, the United States, and South Korea. Featured in the film are players Chris "Huk" Loranger, Greg "IdrA" Fields, and Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson.

The filmmakers may have chosen the best time to follow the team. The roster of EG's StarCraft II division has fluctuated considerably in the last year. In 2012, the team signed Lee "Jaedong" Jae Dong, a Korean progamer who was one of the top competitors in StarCraft: Brood War, the predecessor to StarCraft II. In the same year, EG signed Ilyes "Stephano" Satouri, a progamer from France with several first place finishes in major tournaments. In 2013, Satouri announced his retirement from professional gaming, and the team also lost Fields from its roster. Fields is well-known among the StarCraft II community for his angry reactions, and was released from the team in May after making inappropriate comments on the StarCraft community website, Team Liquid.

Founded in 1999, Landrock Entertainment [http://evilgeniuses.gg/] is a production studio based in Vancouver, Canada. The studio has previously produced a documentary mini-series about labour history in British Columbia, titled Working People.

Source: Rise of the ESports Hero on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/esportsherofilm]

Update: Landrock Entertainment has released a trailer for the documentary. The clip teases commentary from Evil Geniuses team members and eSports personalities like Dan "Artosis" Stemkoski, Nick "Tasteless" Plot, and Marcus "djWHEAT" Graham.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
EG, the living breathing proof IdrA was right when he said:

"talk to your fellow viewers then. because they dont reward results, either for players or teams. code S koreans can stream and get less than 500 viewers. the community forgets about a big tournament win as soon as the next big tournament happens.
a business' purpose is to make money. winning is at best tangentially related to making money in this industry, solely because of what you and the rest of the community chooses to watch. and any company who tries to lead the charge in the direction you're asking for is gonna go out of business. we arent "abusing a competitive platform" we work in an entertainment industry and you guys are entertained by pandering, not competition."

I would be much more interested in seeing a documentary of "Rise of the eSports business model" featuring them. It was sad to see great players like Fear waste years till they gave him a chance to build a dedicated team instead of a team of twat teens that get viewers, will miss the dedicated EGThrows vids tough ( http://whendidegthrowlast.com/ ).

Still, I am glad to see the community grows as eSports are the main reason I am still playing video games. And even if I am not sold of putting business ahead of skill on eSports, EG is certainly a model of how to keep your finances healthy.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
I agree that the esport scene of SC II is better than BW if only because the tourney scene is more open, but... AFAIK players are still driven to extreme work schedules for little to no money unless they are top tier and lucky enough to win some shit or can get viewers on streams.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
In addition to what is said in the news, Idra is not also known for his...attitude. He was one of the very few non Koreans who managed to get a progaming license in Korea and be part of a team (CJ Entus) during the BW days. It's something people tend to forget about him.

Also, for anyone interested in such documentaries, another one which takes places near the end of BW, and partly follows Jaedong before he joined EG, is now avaible. http://watch.stateofplaydoc.com/

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Dude, that was 2007-2009, no one remembers that far back!! Anyway, if you are interested in IdrA history http://www.aceresport.com/uk/content/304.htm , he is probably the non korean SC player that I respect the most.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Futurehero said:
No offense, but who cares about the SC II pro scene, when League of Legends and DoTa II have pretty much buried it.
Even on twitch.tv , the differences are staggering.
Nobody really cares about SC2 anymore, MOBAS are the future, they're more exciting to watch and have more depth.
100,000 viewers on Twitch for every major tournament is not 'nobody cares.' It is not as big as LoL or Dota 2 but it is by no means down and out, your comment is so ignorant.

On topic, can't wait to watch this. I've known that this was coming for about 2 years so it better be good! Though I kind of wish they had looked more at the EU scene which is rapidly overshadowing the US scene these days.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Humm, it bothers me how the e-sports focus on personalities over actual skilled players, like the vid shows.

Also LOLOLOL EG not happy when they finish lower than first place? I hope he is talking about the backwater NA esports tournaments, because I can't remember when EG won something big. Actually I really can't remember, when was it? Justin Wong winning EVO 2010? Anyone remember if EG has won a top tier world toruney after that?

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Revival won IEM Shanghai earlier this year. But I feel like you're talking about their foreigner members? Nothing since ThorZaIN won Dreamhack open Stockholm back in early 2012.