Update: Xbox Getting Netflix-Like "Game Pass" Subscription Service

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Xbox Getting Netflix-Like "Game Pass" Subscription Service

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1385/1385351.png
Game Pass functions like "Netflix but for games," giving you unlimited access to over 100 titles with one monthly subscription cost.

Update: Microsoft has removed all mentions of Windows 10 from the original press release. Microsoft has stated that the service will come to Xbox One first, and Windows 10 at a later date.

Original Story: "Wouldn't it be cool if they had something like Netflix but for video games?" many a gamer has pondered. Well, ponder no longer, as Microsoft has announced something called "Game Pass" which is exactly that - a subscription service that gives you unlimited access to a wide roster of titles.

Game Pass offers "unlimited access to over one hundred great Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles" as part of a monthly subscription of $9.99 per month. It's scheduled to launch "late Spring 2017" and will be available for both Xbox One and PC.

These aren't bargain basement titles as well, with Microsoft promising big hitters and recent releases like Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and LEGO Batman. Additionally, it claims that new titles will be added every month, and if you really like a game that's in the Game Pass catalog, you can buy it for a 20% discount.

There is one major difference between Netflix and Game Pass and that's streaming. Unlike Netflix, which streams movies and TV shows to you in real time, Game Pass games can be downloaded to your device and enjoyed without any streaming or buffering issues. Better yet: you'll be able to play Game Pass games offline for up to 30 days, and there is no limit on how many games you can download.

If you have any more questions, be sure to check out Microsoft's FAQ [http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/xbox-game-pass].

Source: Microsoft [http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/xbox-game-pass]

Mar 30, 2010
Well although I won't be using this feature I can certainly think of some people I know who might. Ehh, if it takes of it takes off, but hopefully this feature isn't an attempt to phase out Games With Gold.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't want to be pessimistic....but I'm totally going to be pessimistic.

I can't see this working at that price with newer games. Those examples given as new games are all 1+ years old. While I wouldn't expect a game to show up Day 1, I can usually buy that game myself past the year mark for $15-20 (or cheaper for non AAA games).

I suppose though I'm looking at it through my eyes (someone with money but not the time) where college tippy2k2 probably would have killed for this.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ok...now, I am not against paying -a- subscription if its worth it. Paying 2 though? This + Gold seems shitty.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Steven Bogos said:
"Wouldn't it be cool if they had something like Netflix but for video games?" many a gamer has pondered.
So, Gamefl-
The Great JT said:
...Say, whatever happened to Gamefly? Are they still around?
Yup. Still going strong from the looks of it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Based on those examples, you and I have different definitions of 'recent', Mr Bogos.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Can't wait for someone to call this service "Retarded" and then have some bozo get offended by the term.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Are we really being negative about this?

It's ten bucks. You don't even have to have Gold to subscribe. This is a great way to play games you've wanted to play, but wouldn't want to buy. For instance, I'd never fork up the money to own Mad Max, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I honestly can't wait to sign up. Between this and EA Access, my backlog of games is infinite.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
darthzew said:

It's ten bucks. You don't even have to have Gold to subscribe. This is a great way to play games you've wanted to play, but wouldn't want to buy. For instance, I'd never fork up the money to own Mad Max, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I honestly can't wait to sign up. Between this and EA Access, my backlog of games is infinite.
It's Microsoft. They've kind of earned a bad reputation. Also Gamefly already does this and people are of the opinion that Gamefly will probably do it better.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheScorpion said:
Can't wait for someone to call this service "Retarded" and then have some bozo get offended by the term.
Uh...huh...that's...incredibly specific and not really related to the subject.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
darthzew said:

It sounds like a good idea, but Microsoft WILL find a way to screw it up and make it consumer-unfriendly.
They always do, and always will.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
erttheking said:
TheScorpion said:
Uh...huh...that's...incredibly specific and not really related to the subject.
Perhaps so, It's just whenever I hear a service that's trying to be Gaming Netflix, I just imagine the service having loads of drawbacks to it(like what I've heard about OnLive, Gamefly Streaming, PS Now, and does anyone remember GameTap?) thus that was my first thought.

But I guess I should look into this better anyway now like I should've beforehand as I smack myself, The thing is with doing a service like this with gaming is that it I find way too many drawbacks with it like if it's download-based, then hard drive space would be the main one. But if it's streaming-based, then there's the possiblity of the game being inaccessable/unplayable if it gets delisted, among other issues that arise with the service itself. While this seems to give less worries than most other services attempting this, I can't say I'm looking forward to it since,

1. I don't have an Xbox One.

2. Even if it comes out on PC, I have Steam.

3. I have trouble seeing games that'd make it worth 10 bucks and putting my PC hard drive under pressure than it already is.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Looks like Microsoft is heading to start bringing back its dreams for digital distribution.

And that's a good thing.

Or mostly anyway. The original plan for digital distribution on the Xbox One was gonna be effing sweet. It made Steam look like crap. The problem was, we all just weren't ready for always-online at all, so that all had to die.

Now do I want the requirement of always-online again? NOPE. But nevertheless, ideas like this are welcome.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"Wouldn't it be cool if they had something like Netflix but for video games?" many a gamer has pondered.
So, Gamefl-
The Great JT said:
...Say, whatever happened to Gamefly? Are they still around?
Yup. Still going strong from the looks of it.
Gamefly doesn't stream everywhere, nor does it stream to every device.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Well although I won't be using this feature I can certainly think of some people I know who might. Ehh, if it takes of it takes off, but hopefully this feature isn't an attempt to phase out Games With Gold.
I fucking hope not. Games With Gold is great and is the only reason I've played certain games that I either never would have paid money(or at least not what they're still asking for some games either in the XBL Marketplace or in stores like Gamestop) for or would have never found otherwise.

Mar 30, 2010
Fijiman said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I fucking hope not. Games With Gold is great and is the only reason I've played certain games that I either never would have paid money(or at least not what they're still asking for some games either in the XBL Marketplace or in stores like Gamestop) for or would have never found otherwise.
Agreed. GWG is a cracking feature that pretty much on its own justifies the annual cost of Gold memebership.

Well, thankfully this statement has put my mind at rest: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169669-Games-With-Gold-Not-Going-Away

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Rangaman said:
Gamefly doesn't stream everywhere, nor does it stream to every device.
Neither did Netflix for a long while. In this case, I'd say that's a plus because latency is a ***** and we still have shit internet across the states.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Fijiman said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Agreed. GWG is a cracking feature that pretty much on its own justifies the annual cost of Gold memebership.

Well, thankfully this statement has put my mind at rest: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169669-Games-With-Gold-Not-Going-Away
Yeah, I saw that a little while after making that post. Good to see they don't have their heads up their asses on this one.