Update: Xi3 Opens "Piston" Steam Box Pre-Orders

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
Here's my biggest problem, I have a 1.5TB mechanical drive almost full of steam games so even the largest SSD they offer won't hold half of them. Until they can offer larger capacities at the same price or cheaper than mechanical I'm sticking to mechanical drives.
Steam games take little enough time to download that I can usually get away with rotating whatever 30-40 games I'm most likely to play at a given time. I'm not going to run into a situation where I urgently need to play a specific game, after all. Sure, it's a trade-off, but I've never really had a problem with it.

That said, not even providing the option of a mechanical drive is stupid, since not everyone is going to want to make that trade-off.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
My tower has better specs than that and it cost around $700 to build. I really don't know who this is for. Is it for those PC gamers where graphics are important, but who are too lazy to build their own PC.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
I'm actually a fan of mechanical hard drives. The're cheaper and have larger storage. Like terabytes large.
They also last roughly 4 times as long as an SSD drive as well. This should have both if it wants to properly take advantage of both worlds. As well being such large SSD's I can see where the price has taken a bit of a jump.

My biggest complaint with systems like this is heat. Cramming that kind of power into that little bit of space will murder the components over time. Almost everything about this is designed to have it burn itself out in roughly 5 years if not quicker.

For that kind of money I'll just build a PC with adequate cooling.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
If I had $1000 to spare I sooner buy get a better pc and/or more games. I would only buy that steam box if I had so much money to burn that I did not know how to spend it.
I am sure a hell not part of there target audience.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand it's quite exciting seeing a new console hit the market. On the other hand, that price tag is ridiculous. :/

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
a thousand bucks?
wow, this is pretty obviously evil for valve (when they usually specialize in the stealthy-evil stuff).

for HALF that you can get a pc that will outlive and outperform the upcoming console generation easily..this seems like a shitty deal.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Vault101 said:
I dont really get it...it seems ot have neither of the advantages and both the disadvantages of a console/PC
Thats pretty much what I've said about this thing from it's inception, it lacks the benefits of a gaming PC whilst lacking the bang for buck offered by a home console, I said it would when the rumours started flying around. I also said that if it's powerful enough to be a mid-high end PC it's gonna come at a premium and PC gamers won't care because they'll be able to outperform it for less and console gamers won't care because it's (I actually predicted around £800/$800) $1000.

Rather sure I can build a rig with an 3770K and a pair of 660 ti's in SLI for cheaper...

Oh well, I'll stick with a couple of consoles and my custom desktop :3 Looks cool if nothing else I guess.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Kathinka said:
wow, this is pretty obviously evil for valve (when they usually specialize in the stealthy-evil stuff).
This isn't made by Valve. It's made by Xi3. Valve's actual Steambox won't be out for some time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Happiness Assassin said:
My tower has better specs than that and it cost around $700 to build. I really don't know who this is for. Is it for those PC gamers where graphics are important, but who are too lazy to build their own PC.
Your local PC store can probably undercut the thing anyway if you're lazy...

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
The Plunk said:
It may be pricey, but it's also the SIZE OF A GODDAMN GRAPEFRUIT.

This is probably the most portable gaming machine outside of handhelds and smartphones. Probably a lot more powerful too. If the specs are as good (or better) than a high-end gaming laptop, I can see this being well worth the money for people that travel a lot.
IT's also shaped like a grapefruit, which is odd for portability. You also have to lug around a monitor and keyboard AT LEAST.

You're better off getting a gaming laptop. It actually comes with a screen, it's flat and easy to carry in a bag, comes with mouse/keyboard/speakers, and can often be found for cheaper.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
The said specs are too lacking.
"4core processor at 3.2ghz" can be so many things. And the differences in performance depending on the processor architecture can be considerable.

Athlon2<APU<FXbulldozer<Core2=Phenom2<FXpilediver<CoreI5<CoreI7.

And the RAM is unified - shared 8gb but ddr3. The latest graphics cards use is GDDR5,while by the end of 2013 ddr4 memory will become available.

The "7xxx series" graphics card is also way too general information. There are models of the 7000 series ranging in quite a large spectrum of performance and prices.

7450 can't even get Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 to 30fps on 1280x720p with everything been on lowest detail,while 7990 can play Crysis 3 at 60fps on 2560x1440p on ultra settings.

Buyers who have any knowledge of PC specs and do a market research before they buy,will hardly consider buying a machine without knowing exactly what it is capable of. I only see people with lots of money who don't do any research on products before they buy and just got to a shop and saw this looking like a piece of fashion to consider buying it.

They should make the specs more detailed and concrete,so people know what they are being told to buy.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I don't understand what everyone had been expecting. This is a pretty impressive rig for its size (granted we don't know its GPU yet). Alienware's M14x [http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m14x-r2/pd.aspx] sells for $999 and the poor thing comes with a pitiful 6GB of RAM, a GT650M (not amazing by any stretch of imagination) and a mechanical hard drive. If I were to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the piston.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Dexter111 said:
This isn't the "Steambox", stop being intentionally misleading.

Even the people involved literally couldn't say it after being pressured on it for a while:
Damn, whoever put that video together is really confused and they're not helping to clarify anything.

First, they show footage of the Xi3 Piston, THEN they show an entirely different unit, the X5A Modular Computer, which looks exactly like the Piston except it's their low-end PC [http://xi3.com/buy_now.php] (the blue one).

The X5A (model X5A-5342US) is blue by default and has Display Port/DVI video out.
The Piston is black and has a bizarre Display Port/HDMI combo with two extra mini Display Ports.

[hr]

Even the website that user Dryk got his photo from incorrectly shows the cheaper, low-end Xi3 desktop model [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/valves-own-steam-box-prototype-to-start-shipping-by-july-2013036/] under the headline "Valve's own Steam Box prototype to start shipping by July". It's all very confusing.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
There is a problem somewhere. It's impossible for a mechanical drive to be faster than an SSD.
http://s878.beta.photobucket.com/user/laughingman09/media/Image2-1_zps8b5c1f75.jpg.html

I beg to differ, blue line is a pair of mechanical Samsung F3s in Raid 0, red line is a single Vertex 3.0. The Samsungs are clearly faster. Okay I've had to Raid the drives but it is in fact possible for mechanical drives to be faster than an SSD.

As for the Piston, if this in fact the fore runner to Steams own 'console' then it looks like that MS exec was right when he said that Valve proved to be no threat in the console market.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'm always glad to see devices like this, because it means in a year to 18 months, we'll have much cheaper options available. I have no interest in it at that price point, but if a company wants to manufacture luxury gaming devices and they have customers lined up to buy them, I think that's great. The amount of connections on the back is just crazy, too. That's a seriously dense piece of hardware.

I imagine the actual, official 'Steambox' will be no more than half this price, at most, and marketed to people who don't want to be bothered with the admittedly easy task of just hooking a laptop or MPC up to your TV to achieve the same effect.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Way too expensive. You pretty much HAVE to get the 512G one since the other sizes are way too small. 2 grand for a computer that isn't basically a small super computer? I'll pass.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Laughing Man said:
There is a problem somewhere. It's impossible for a mechanical drive to be faster than an SSD.
http://s878.beta.photobucket.com/user/laughingman09/media/Image2-1_zps8b5c1f75.jpg.html

I beg to differ, blue line is a pair of mechanical Samsung F3s in Raid 0, red line is a single Vertex 3.0. The Samsungs are clearly faster. Okay I've had to Raid the drives but it is in fact possible for mechanical drives to be faster than an SSD.
IDK, but isn't 250something MB/s in sequential read a bit subpar for SSD?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
IDK, but isn't 250something MB/s in sequential read a bit subpar for SSD?
It's a two year old Sata 2 model and it seems to have gotten a bit slower than it was over the years. When it was brand new it was just about able to outpace the Mechanical HDs but it's gotten a bit slower with age. My Mobo only has Sata 2 ports so no point in going for a faster drive I am holding out to see what the Asus Raidr brings to the party.

http://rog.asus.com/199862013/news/gallery-raidr-express-ssd/

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Evil Smurf said:
I'm actually a fan of mechanical hard drives. The're cheaper and have larger storage. Like terabytes large.
The tradeoff is that SSD's are MUCH faster and much less likely to fail. The update to SSD is probably one of the best upgrades people can make. You only really need the drive that you have windows and your games on to be an SSD, mechanical drives are fine for files. I made the switch to SSD last year and I'll never look back. Windows loads in about 15 seconds and my games load in moments, making 'level loads' almost a thing of the past. It also speeds up your overall performance.

Ooo, I agree on performance, but I've had two pc drives manufactured by Samsung go phhhhhht! Suddenly and without warning.

I was never going to look back but I had to revive the old drive they replaced.
Depressing