UPDATED: An Under the Radar Change to Enemy Scaling Has the WoW Community Up in Arms

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Level-scaling is the worst way to make content interesting.

Adding other incentive than fighting would be a way, strategic points like player bases, entrances to other content, original quests, original gear, setting up shop, crafting, completely different game mechanics like what the fuck, a cart racing track, I don't know.

It simply is the worst possible solution I can think of, because it diminishes accomplishment in a non-sensical way. I'd rather take reskins because it makes at least any sense in-game lore-wise or whatever.

The worst thing about TES from Oblivion onward, imo. Like, the worst.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
WoW's gradual disintegration as their player base slowly realizes Blizzard really has been manipulating them for subscription money and all their 'progression' really isn't has got to be my second favorite thing in MMO news after EVE Online politics.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Guild Wars 2 has level scaling. It downgrades your level to the zone's level so you aren't limited to just a couple zones for endgame content.

The thing is though, your level stats decreased, but your armor stats remain high, meaning you still wreck things lower level than you, just not in a ridiculous way.

Also, Fuck WoW. I quit in Burning Crusade because I could see how new management kept making dumber and dumber decisions based on nothing, and I saw no end in sight. And PvP has always been balanced like a stilt walker with one leg on a treadmill.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
Having enemys scale as I leveled in legion was one of the 30 other reasons as to why i quit after 2 months. Blizzard games these days are all about getting the player to grind on some treadmill for rewards that they think are useful.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Level scaling, of course, brilliant, wonderful idea.

I cannot think of a single game improved by level scaling, but MMOs are especially averse to it. Why exactly would anyone grind through hundreds of hours of MMO game play to end up exactly where they were before?

The fact that Blizzard felt the need to hide the fact they were doing it in the first place speaks volumes. They knew full well how it would be received.

Still, not as bad as Oblivion's random bandits clad in legendary Daedric armor clattering about the countryside.
You are exactly right. Even better? What the flying heck is the Public Test Realm Server for then? Why did they not start there to test balloon it? The very fact they pushed it to live and hid it really does speak volumes.

The Devs promised a continued content stream and now they are trying to weasel out of it by recycling content in the most lazy and super duper cost effective way, no reskins, just shift the numbers to auto scale.

Last I checked our subscriptions per month is still real money and Blizzard is more than happy to receive it so why do they insist on trying to mess up the relationship seems foolish along the lines of goose and the golden egg.

I usually enjoy MMO's that are about character growth and progression. So for example a large green frog from 20 levels ago suddenly able to wreck my character after being told so many times in the quest and storyline about how epic my character is now?

Hmm maybe they do need to make some changes, I would like an additional stat on the artifact weapon: Immunity to lazy dev nerfs. *sigh*

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Saltyk said:
Hey, Blizzard, want an easy fix that will make players happy to fight stronger enemies? Let the enemies drop better rewards. Be that better items, more money, or more renown with the local groups. Fighting stronger enemies for better rewards seems like something that players would be happy with.
But if they drop better gear then they will only get stronger the next time.