UPDATED: Dead Space Producer Slams Gears of War Script

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Come on, gears of war isn't that bad, I would mark down the story as somewhere between ok and below average at the very worst. The worst story out there is going WAY too far, especially when Metroid Other M exists. Give Gears of War credit, at least it's consistent with its characters and knows who they are.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
The Gears of War story is Far from "bad". It's cliché and over the top, sure. But it's FUN. Dead Space has even more flaws, but I enjoy that story too.

Now say, Bayonetta or Vanquish? Now THERE is a terrible story. Downright amazing gameplay, but oh goodness are their stories bad.

Jay444111 said:
Why are people here insulting Dead space again? I myself think it is an insult to even try to compare gears to it. Sure Dead Space one was average to good story in it. But 2 fixes everything wrong with the first and tells a amazing story.

Seriously... did anyone here actually play Dead space 2? I wonder sometimes because I feel like I am the only one who expierenced a truly great story.
I LOVE Dead Space 2, but honestly the story isn't really good.
- Tiedemann was a horridly idiotic villain.
- Ellie was pretty much shoe-horned into being Isaac's Girlfriend in the space of about 5-seconds. She goes from almost shooting stable and calm Isaac because she feels threatened, to obediently listening to Isaac telling her not to defend herself against the crazy guy. I like Ellie and really hope she's in Dead Space 3, but they could have handled that part a lot better.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I agree completely about the Gears of War thing. Gears is basically a gritter version of the Transformers movie franchise with the same level of maturity.

But do you know what else can ruin a game? Making a horror game with no horror. =3

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Beaver considers even his own work on the story of Dead Space to be lacking.
I was to criticize Beaver for judging a game but since he admitted that his own game had flaws.. I shall give him props for being honest. However, I must say to Beaver that despite the flaws Dead Space has (oh yes, the biggest one is probably the horror factor because it's not very scary anymore, nor as tense anymore as the first game was) yet I loved everything else about Dead Space. My favorite of all franchises when it revolves around gaming period.
For the PC, Dead Space had flaws like the Star Wars prequels had special effects. Thankfully, EA/Visceral didn't have any problem with releasing an unplayable game for PC gamers.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Okay, so no one here calling him out for using the word "worst" has ever said anything hyperbolic about any game, ever? And people who make games are suddenly not allowed to voice their negative opinions about other games? I'm not entirely sure what the point of these sorts of news stories are. To call out developers for hypocrisy? I could just as easily call the Escapist out for the way they're critical of Fox News and it's anti-gaming bullshit when the stuff here isn't exactly Pulitzer Prize-winning material either.

Jay444111 said:
Why are people here insulting Dead space again? I myself think it is an insult to even try to compare gears to it. Sure Dead Space one was average to good story in it. But 2 fixes everything wrong with the first and tells a amazing story.

Seriously... did anyone here actually play Dead space 2? I wonder sometimes because I feel like I am the only one who expierenced a truly great story.
And don't worry; I thought Dead Space 2 had a great story too. Dead Space 1 was a bit of a mess, as Chuck himself admits in the article, but like you said, Dead Space 2 pretty much fixed everything. The biggest improvement was probably giving Isaac a voice, which transformed him from a grunting, errand-running brick on legs, and into a true character that we could actually sympathize with. It was stupid for the first game to expect us to just feel sorry for a silent protagonist because apparently his girlfriend is missing, but Dead Space 2 actually got me invested enough to shed a few tears. I don't even care that the games aren't scary; they're good, and that's what matters.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Why is he just singling out GOW? Most, now I'm saying MOST not all shooters have pretty bad stories. It's all about the fanbase guys, people who play shooters wanna shoot, they don't want to listen or watch cutscenes.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I've really only got this to say...
Update: Chuck Beaver has asked to clarify his position on Gears of War and his previous comments with the following statement: "My Friends in in the company gave me a little note to cover my ass. Let me read it to you..."
*sigh...*

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Jumplion said:
Really, did none of you fully read the article? He was damned critical of his own game, the full article shows more criticisms he gave to his own game.

"People in glass houses" my butt, people should read the note saying "Don't throw stones in this house" before readying the rocks.
I disagree. He wasn't really that critical of his own work, just the game itself. Most of his comments seem to be dealing more with the fact they were given this stuff that was garbage and forced to work with it, like his comment on the final boss fight. And mentioning getting lost in the complicated lore and plot elements. The way he talks about them makes it seem these are things established without him (such as his complaints about the boss fight), and acting as the reason it was so bad was how unworkable the material his team was given to work with was. Hardly being critical of his own work and instead placing the blame on what he had to work off. At least that's how it came off to me.

OT: The follow-up statement is what really annoys me. It reads more like he realized that he's said something he really shouldn't have, pissing off a lot of fans and likely insulting some producers, and is desperately trying to quell the fire before it becomes much hotter. Not that I blame him. But he shouldn't have said anything at all on something that'd be made public if he didn't think it through. Not to mention he again trys to divert blame by stating 'some of my comments were taken out-of-context' and then proceding to throw compliments out to undo his last statement. It's possible he believes what he's saying, and that the comments were taken completely out-of-context (I specify completely because being taken slightly out of context means he did still mean it in a way, just a different way then taken). But with what seemed to be trying to deny any real responsibility and the way his attitude comes off, I doubt it.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Wow, I'd love to know what occasioned the clarification, because that couldn't be more of a "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, don't hate us" PR move if it was released by Bioware.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I was going to say something about glass houses, but he kinda pre-empted me there.

Also, this man has clearly never played 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. It makes Gears look like Tolstoy in comparison.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Because Dead Space is supposed to be the epitome of story telling?

Yahtzee said it best: It's about monsters that jump out at you and go "abloogy woogy woo"

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I only came in here to see how many "Mass Effect 3 ruined my life" posts there would be......surprisingly few.

but OT: Gears of Wars' story wasnt terrible, just implimented wrong. Too much emphasis on the whole "grrrrr grunt muscleman covered in gutzszsz" got in the way, and thats all that most people gave a shit about in the beginning.

If you ask me, Gears 3's ending was far worse than that of ME3.