Updating an Xbox 360.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Ok, so a friend messed around with my xbox and now it refuses to use Kinect or Avatar software until I update it. So I've downloaded the update from the xbox website and saved the contents of the Zip file to me flash drive (which IS formatted to the FAT32 thing), then I put the flash drive into the Xbix. Everyone says the download should start automatically, but it does not. I go to storage and it recognises the flash drive but my only option is to erase all content and format it for Xbox Memory.

If anyone can help me, I'll repay you with a million cookies.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
(in the absence of someone who knows the correct answer)

I'm unsure what format the 360 uses but will Windows recognise it? (it might do with both been MS) If so you can just put the data on the card after the format.

Also I know you can share media between them over wireless, maybe you could do the same with a data file?

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
TrevHead said:
(in the absence of someone who knows the correct answer)

I'm unsure what format the 360 uses but will Windows recognise it? (it might do with both been MS) If so you can just put the data on the card after the format.

Also I know you can share media between them over wireless, maybe you could do the same with a data file?
Yeah, my laptop can see the update files and I've been using it to fiddle with them, but still no dice. Thanks anyway.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Is there any reason you can't connect the Xbox to your home internet, and just let it update itself? If for some reason you can't (console is too far from modem, you don't have a wireless adaptor etc) and you do have a computer within reach of the console (either desktop or laptop, doesn't matter), then all you have to do is a get a crossover ethernet cable (be very specific when getting one that it's crossover). On the computer, you then have to bridge the network connections (there's guides on Youtube). What this does is your computer is receiving an internet signal from your modem, and then is pushing that same signal back down the crossover cable to your console. I did it all the time with my laptop.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The update will kick-in when the console starts. So turn the console off, plug in the flash drive and turn the console on.

If the update is on the drive correctly then the 360 will detect the update at start-up and install it.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
Is there any reason you can't connect the Xbox to your home internet, and just let it update itself? If for some reason you can't (console is too far from modem, you don't have a wireless adaptor etc) and you do have a computer within reach of the console (either desktop or laptop, doesn't matter), then all you have to do is a get a crossover ethernet cable (be very specific when getting one that it's crossover). On the computer, you then have to bridge the network connections (there's guides on Youtube). What this does is your computer is receiving an internet signal from your modem, and then is pushing that same signal back down the crossover cable to your console. I did it all the time with my laptop.
votemarvel said:
The update will kick-in when the console starts. So turn the console off, plug in the flash drive and turn the console on.

If the update is on the drive correctly then the 360 will detect the update at start-up and install it.
Demon ID said:
Messed around? In what way? In a perfectly legal way?
In the order those questions were recieved- I don't have broadband, only my phone, and I don't much fancy an xbox update-sized addition to my bill... I KNOW. I tried that and it didn't work, so I made this forum. And I don't know, he just put it online and downloaded something.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
interspark said:
In the absence of someone who has direct knowledge of this problem, I think you're going to have to go all out in terms of how customer support would handle this. Incidentally, have you tried calling customer support?

Anyway, do you still have the update files? I'm assuming you have a laptop. So if they're still there, I would first try reformatting the USB key through the 360. Then copy the files to the key again from your original source. Then plug it back into your 360.

If that doesn't work, I would try rebooting your 360 with the USB key still installed, as Votemarvel said.

If that still doesn't work, I would try burning your update to disc, which I'm sure will fit on a CD and try installing it that way.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
interspark said:
RikuoAmero said:
votemarvel said:

Demon ID said:
Messed around? In what way? In a perfectly legal way?
In the order those questions were recieved- I don't have broadband, only my phone, and I don't much fancy an xbox update-sized addition to my bill... I KNOW. I tried that and it didn't work, so I made this forum. And I don't know, he just put it online and downloaded something.
Do you have a friends place you could take it to? Perhaps your friend who messed it up for you, so you can update it?

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
interspark said:
Ok, so a friend messed around with my xbox and now it refuses to use Kinect or Avatar software until I update it. So I've downloaded the update from the xbox website and saved the contents of the Zip file to me flash drive (which IS formatted to the FAT32 thing), then I put the flash drive into the Xbix. Everyone says the download should start automatically, but it does not. I go to storage and it recognises the flash drive but my only option is to erase all content and format it for Xbox Memory.

If anyone can help me, I'll repay you with a million cookies.
If I remember correctly you have to partition part of the USB dedicated to being used by the 360 before it'll recognised it. But it's been a while since I used one so don't take my word for it.

So maybe you should let it format it for Xbox Memory and put the files on it again?

Again this might be entirely stupid so don't take my word for it at all.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I think the main problem may be that you are not unzipping the files.

I had to do this about a year ago and it worked ok for me.

Full information here.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info?icid=furl_update

It says you can also burn a CD/DVD if the usb doesn't work. Also some game discs will update the console for you automatically, if you have anything reasonably new you haven't tried since your friends interfering.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
What did your friend download, something from the marketplace or elsewhere? If it was from the marketplace then it shouldn't have any effect like the one you're seeing and if it was from elsewhere we can attempt to find out what exactly and how to fix it. What happened exactly?

As for the suggestions above, I'd go with formatting via the Xbox first then making sure the update files are unzipped. Then again it all might be moot if your friend put something else on there.