Upgrade new video card?

Bart XB

Apr 6, 2014
Is it worth it to upgrade to a GeForce GTX 970?

I now have

Radeon HD 6950 2GB
i5 2500K 3.3
8GB RAM
650W

Or some other card?

Is it going to bottleneck? Or is it not worth upgrading because it won't improve much?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The odds are that it won't bottleneck on GTX970. If you overclock if definitely won't but without overclocking its about 95% chance of not bottlenecking. Thats said you can get a gtx 760 with 80% of the performance of GTX970 for half the price. As it stand I think there is about only two games that actually use the 4GB of vram, so that extra 20% of GPU power isn't actually currently needed.

Bart XB

Apr 6, 2014
Thanks for the info. The computerstore where I have been buying/upgrade my PC's since the nineties closed down (the owner was an old dude and he retired and move to other side of country to enjoy his retirement, so I'm now without "that guy" does my computers for me :) )

Will it played games like BF4 and upcoming ones like Hardline, The Witcher 3, Battlefront, Star Citizen, The Division, RB6 Siege, Mass Effect 4 on high or even ultra settings with FPS of 60+?

I'm a huge BF fan. Played all them since the very first. Now playing BF4 at medium/high with FPS around 60 (although I'm sure it's a technical issue. I used to played with everything on high with FPS around 80FPS before some patches)

Or should I wait another year until those game actually arrive?

I mean I'll live playing on medium for a while I guess.

And they'll only get cheaper right?

But my concern is that from a year from new gen of video cards won't work on my pc anymore.

Also can I put a new Intel processor on my current mobo? (Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 PCI-E 3.0)

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The recommended specs for the next gen games are beginning to look like needing an i7 3770 which is 30% more powerful than your current cpu. If you want to play the next gen on high/ultra you are going have an new cpu. You can spend more money now on a new GPU and use it later on new rig but as you say they will be cheaper in 6 months. The PCIe is backwards compatible so a new card will work but will be slower, which kind of defeats the object. You can put any LGA1155 socket processor in your mobo http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%201155%20(LGA1155).html but they are only seocnd generation cpus and wont run the current generation.

To do what you want, my gut instinct would be to get a new rig entirely.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Given my bias, I would definitely exchange a Radeon for a GeForce. I'm using a GTX 460M on my laptop and it still works fine. If you're upgrading to GTX 970 (assuming for desktop) I can tell you that it will definitely last.

Regarding the games you want to play, I got my laptop 4 years ago with the GTX 460M and I can run BF4 perfectly on medium settings, so I have no doubt in the capabilities of a more recent GTX model.