Upgrading My Processor

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
I'm looking to upgrade my processor, and I don't know too much about the insides of a computer. Although I successfully upgraded my graphics card to a ATI Radeon HD 4650 a while back, along with 4 GB of RAM, I'm having trouble figuring out all of the compatibility issues.

Note: I'm upgrading mainly for gaming purposes.

I have an AM2 socket, so I know I can at least use AM3 processors, but are there huge downsides to this to this? My current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ and I was looking to upgrade to something along the lines of this: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition.

My motherboard is an ECS Nettle 1 MCP61, and I couldn't find any info on it, but I'm hoping not to have to upgrade it. If it's not worth upgrading with my current mobo can you guys give me some suggestions on what to look at?

If you need any other info, I'd be happy to add it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
WARNING: NOT ALL AM2 MOTHERBOARDS SUPPORT AM3.

WARNING: IF MOTHERBOARD DOES SUPPORT AM3 PROCESSORS, IT MAY REQUIRE A BIOS UPDATE FIRST.

That being said, I cannot find any updates for your motherboard... can't find it at all, actually. ECS doesn't have it on their website.

Or do you mean this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
That being said, I cannot find any updates for your motherboard... can't find it at all, actually. ECS doesn't have it on their website.

Or do you mean this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246
Yeah, I couldn't either, and no it's not that. I think my computer is from around 2005, so it's probably time for an update anyway.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Board's are a cow to replace, but to really get the most out of the hardware you pay good money for you need to have it all running through a good modern board. Especially if it's 6 years old, it's probably not even worth upgrading the processor if it's going to be running through an old board.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
My advice would be to get a new board and a new processor. 2005 is a good run for a system. Possibly donate it to a family member or maybe sell it locally and recoup some of that cost for your new system.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
You could try flashing/updating your BIOS. I had to do that with my old AM2 mobo to support an AMD 6000+. However, seeing as this is an entirely new line, and I already had to flash between AM2 CPU's, I reckon you need a new one.

Besides, upgrading your CPU with that old motherboard and graphics card (I mean really, you upgraded to that?) isn't really worth it that much. You'll get bottlenecks.