Uplay Struggles Affect Watch Dogs and Other Ubisoft Games

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
shirkbot said:
Wait, what? They still make you use Uplay even if you're using a console? What kind of logic is that? I thought the whole point of buying the console was that it served as a DRM box so you could just play games without all the muss and fuss of PC "services".
Agreed. There are a few precious reasons to buy on console:

1) to avoid installs

2) to have standardized performance (ie: no more buying graphics cards just for that one big game)

3) avoiding online/DRM, as jailbreaking the console is not feasible until well after the console is out of circulation

It disgusts me that someone could theoretically hack the PC executable and play the game, yet those who play by the rules would be penalized. I remember when people used to do this to avoid the hassle of CD-checks, and it struck me as foolish then. I totally preordered the game on PS4 with expiring store credit, yet am reconsidering my purchase. Between consumer-penalizing DRM AND unfriendly DLC practices, I just don't feel right supporting this game...but I REALLY want to play the damn thing. Funny thing is I probably won't be able to, even if I decide to purchase, simply due to UPlay...