Urban Beehive Brings Bees Indoors

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay, you see, I'm cool with bees. Bees do a lot of good stuff in nature, they don't go looking for excuses to ruin your day (unlike wasps, those dicks), and they're probably one of the cuddliest-looking insects this side of a butterfly.

But letting them into my home is a no-no. Bees do not understand personal space, they do not understand concepts like "don't go fly into my closet and sit in the collar of my shirt", and there is no way to convince them that the open window they flew in through is the right way to go to get back out. This contraption is one trip, stumble and elbow-smash away from releasing many, many confused and possibly angry bees into a home.

Now, if we were talking about an outdoor beehive with a wireless webcam... that, maybe, would get my interest.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
IIRC, people have been bee-keeping in New York (I think it was) for ages. They just set the hives up on rooftops.

Oh, and Australian bees don't sting people, so Australain beekeepers had to import European ones...and they produce less honey, but the real reason is they aren't scary enough.

kingofboars

Aug 5, 2009
No, no,no, and NO! My house was already invaded by bees once. There's no way in hell I'm letting anymore bees get near my home.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Bees in the city... well that sounds like a great not at all getting sued by your neighbors for every sting idea.

Actually don't worry those bees wont survive the city smog for more then a week.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
If I recall, honey is a heck of a lot better for you than sugar. This would be nice to have.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
I'm actually digging the idea... I wouldn't mind having a bee apiary in say my garage, but that thing in my house? yeah that'd go over with the cats well . Not sure I'd ever want to open the thing to get honey, but I know my garden could use the pollination, since from what I can tell the carpenter bees don't care for white flowers (have millions of tiny purple flowers in the yard and large white ones, which ones do large carpenter bees go for? the tiny purple flowers...), so I'm not sure my hot pepper plants (besides for numex centennial) were as productive as they could've been.