US and UK Getting Different Versions of New Torchwood

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
US and UK Getting Different Versions of New Torchwood

Timing and suitability of material are said to account for the disparate versions.

Miracle Day, the fourth season of the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, will be different depending on whether you watch it in the UK or the US. That's according to the editor of the official Doctor Who Magazine, Tom Spilsbury.

Posting on Twitter earlier in the week, Spilsbury said that some content would be removed from the US version because of episode timing, while other content would be excised from the UK version because it was unsuitable to be shown on the BBC. Spillsbury said that the BBC version wasn't being censored per se, but didn't expand on what was actually going on. He also baited the hardcore fans by posing the question of which version would be the "proper" version, and entreating them to "PANIC!"

It's not clear how different the two versions will be, but one would assume that the changes won't be too substantial; making two vastly different shows doesn't make a great of sense from a cost perspective. What's much more likely is that the BBC has removed instances of product placement, which is illegal in BBC shows. The differences will almost certainly be inconsequential to the plot.

Torchwood: Miracle Day airs on Starz on July 8th. As yet, there's no confirmation when the show will air on the BBC.

Source: via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/26/torchwood-miracle-day-to-feature-different-scenes-in-uk-and-us/]

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
This is such a good idea, they could have two different products with the same name, the difference being a few minutes and some plot details.
Good job.
It does make sense that some content shown in the USA wouldn't appear in the BBC, because if the British crowd looks at the amazing special effects and sees studios investing money in their shows they might demand it from the BBC, which we all know specializes in long dark corridors, scenes with people talking in a room and talented carpenters.
On the other hand the USA crowd might go into a state of paralysis if they don't see something blow up for over seven minutes.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I prefer watching series like this on DVD (or Bluetooth) anyway, so as long as the DVD versions are the full ones I won't really mind. Watching multiple episodes in a row when it is convenient beats TV any day of the week.

Still, this is pretty weird. If it actually is sponsor placement that has to be cut for the UK version and is inconsequential, wouldn't it be more accurate to state that this unnecessary garbage has been edited in to the UK versions, whereas the US versions loses some actual scenes?

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I have to admit to being honestly surprised this show is still on the air. I remember catching the entire first season on-line when it came out (I was living in America at the time), but never wanting to revisit it. I just found all the characters utterly unlikeable and truth be told, the plot/writing a little patronizing.

TheIronRuler said:
It does make sense that some content shown in the USA wouldn't appear in the BBC, because if the British crowd looks at the amazing special effects and sees studios investing money in their shows they might demand it from the BBC, which we all know specializes in long dark corridors, scenes with people talking in a room and talented carpenters.
On the other hand the USA crowd might go into a state of paralysis if they don't see something blow up for over seven minutes.
^This is hysterical. AND TRUE.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Commercial breaks? Don't shows on Stars and other premium cable channel not cut to commercials during the program?

Also when it does come out on Blu-ray/DVD they might just have an uncut version and make everybody happy, hopefully.....

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'll just wait for someone to cut and paste footage from both versions to get "complete" episodes. >_>

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
*falls on both knees and rising his clenched fists towards the sky he cries "Yeeeeeesssssss!"*

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
I'm not sure what content will be seen as unsuitable for the BBC. I know product placement was mentioned, but I thought that the rules on this had been changed. The BBC screens films full of product placement all the time without editing but, if it was really an issue I would rather they blur the logo rather than cut the scene.

Yes, John Barrowman has been talking about full frontal male nudity and guy on guy knobbing. That is allowed on the Beeb, but usually not until after 10pm. If the BBC cuts for explicit content, I will be furious. Not because I want to see dick, I don't, but because they have got their demographic wrong and are screening too early. Make adult TV for adults and screen appropriately.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Producers: "Well it looks like the only way the fans will be able to get the full Torchwood experience would be TO BUY BOTH VERSIONS MUUUAAH HA HA HA HA!"

Seriously though, is this something to do with all the guns in the show?

Because when you are battling all powerful alien forces, that's no time to get hoplophobic.

And there is A LOT of hoplophobia in British establishments if not the general population.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Well I'm glad this is happening to Torchwood at least.

I mean imagine how much it would suck if the did this to a good show?

Although I really have to wonder what the BBC deems unsuitable, I mean they're the guys who made a series where someone rips an undorn child out his pregnant wife/sister and then eats it. What could be worse than that?

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Ugh. I guess I'm going to have to skim the reviews of the first episode to see which one was the less edited version. Love Torchwood and DOctor Who needs more episodes per season, bot 12 browkn up in to two parts!

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
Have non of you seen the trailer? All that is happening is that they are rearranging the peanuts in a giant turd.

I doubt it'll be censored for sex/violence (and certainly not in the service of hoplophobia) the only cuts will be for the lingering shots of Captain Jack taking a swig of Coke with the label to camera.

hedges1001

Mar 17, 2010
Axolotl said:
Well I'm glad this is happening to Torchwood at least.

I mean imagine how much it would suck if the did this to a good show?

Although I really have to wonder what the BBC deems unsuitable, I mean they're the guys who made a series where someone rips an undorn child out his pregnant wife/sister and then eats it. What could be worse than that?
john barrowman singing show tunes on a reality panel show on a saturday night

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
while other content would be excised from the UK version because it was unsuitable to be shown on the BBC.
£5 you can thank the amount of complaining over gay-kissing for this. Thanks for standing your ground for nothing and acting safe.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
while other content would be excised from the UK version because it was unsuitable to be shown on the BBC.
£5 you can thank the amount of complaining over gay-kissing for this. Thanks for standing your ground for nothing and acting safe.
I'm confused. Are you saying the BBC will cut down the amount of homosexual content, but the US network won't?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I'm confused. Are you saying the BBC will cut down the amount of homosexual content, but the US network won't?
I'm not finding it coincidental that recently the BBC got in trouble for showing two men kissing on a program (pretty certain it was Holby City).

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I'm not finding it coincidental that recently the BBC got in trouble for showing two men kissing on a program (pretty certain it was Holby City).
It received complaints about both Holby City and Eastenders. In both cases it said said that it was an inclusive broadcaster and wasn't going to stop portraying homosexual relationships in its programs.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Riobux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It received complaints about both Holby City and Eastenders. In both cases it said said that it was an inclusive broadcaster and wasn't going to stop portraying homosexual relationships in its programs.
"Spillsbury said that the BBC version wasn't being censored per se, but didn't expand on what was actually going on.". What they might end up doing is hinting at homosexual relationships, but never expanding on it to a level that might offend some of the more moral-inclined audiences. I will admit I'm doing shots in the dark, but this isn't the first time someone's done a PR saying "we're not backing down" before doing exactly that less than a week later. EA got in trouble for the new Medal Of Honour game portraying the Taliban as a side you can be online, something they ended up backing down to despite saying that the claim that it's immoral to allow others to be the Taliban was, in short, stupid.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
two very slightly different versions of the exact same thing that only hardcore fans would bother getting both of? otherwise known as the "pokemon strategy"