US and UK Getting Different Versions of New Torchwood

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
I assume on any DVDs there will be both versions. BBC are usually good with that kind of thing, so I'm okay with this.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Or just run the same episode with everything in because people aren't children and can decide for themselves?

Ha, what am I thinking?!

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Who cares? the fact the bbc has yet to schedule it means most of the people who really want to watch it will have torrented it by the time they get around to it anyway so any minor changes wont be noticed.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Riobux said:
I'm not finding it coincidental that recently the BBC got in trouble for showing two men kissing on a program (pretty certain it was Holby City).
Torchwood, to the best of my memory, was a programme about gay (with the exception of Gwen and Rat Face) nihillists fighting aliens. I doubt they could really pull off the cast all suddenly becoming straight.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
Torchwood, to the best of my memory, was a programme about gay (with the exception of Gwen and Rat Face) nihillists fighting aliens. I doubt they could really pull off the cast all suddenly becoming straight.
There's a difference between suggestion and display. You can hint that they're involved on above friendship level without showing kissing or sexual advances.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Deshara said:
Holy crap, the UK banned product placement? How pointless.

"Alright ol chap, we've just banned thinking about guns, but now I fear we've out of ways to ban guns!"
"Fear not, friend, for I just saw a gun's label on the telly, and I have an idea."
Actually, we just legalised it. Up until this year, no british broadcaster could show product placement. Now, it's just the BBC as part of their Royal Charter. It means complete independence from any outside influence for the BBC, so not really pointless....

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
Deshara said:

"Alright ol chap, we've just banned thinking about guns, but now I fear we've out of ways to ban guns!"
"Fear not, friend, for I just saw a gun's label on the telly, and I have an idea."

I...er..well...what?

The ban had nothing to do with guns. It was to ensure programs concentrated on content instead of advertising.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Deshara said:

The BBC isn't just any old broadcaster... it is the British Broadcasting Corporation. It is funded, to a large degree, by the citizen's Television Liscence (essentially a TV tax) and is, I believe, a major part of things like our emergency broadcast network.

It is expected to hold higher standards of behavior and remain free from commercial preasures.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Just to let you folks know, I've removed the line about the episodes being trimmed to accommodate commercial breaks. I'm not from the US, and I didn't know that Starz didn't have commercials. Apologies if I caused any confusion and thank you to everyone who pointed out my error.

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
So, I wonder which version Canada (and, I assume other places) will get?
I'm thinking us Canucks will probably get the US version too, seeing as it premieres up here on the 9th.....

Feb 13, 2008
I do wonder if the
paedophilia : http://ragnarfan.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/billmpullman-toplay-torchwoods-controversial-murdering-pedophile-in-the-new-world/
is the part missed in the UK version.

One would hope so.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
Starting to get frustrated with the new series of Torchwood now and it hasn't even aired yet.

Is there really any need for 2 different versions?

And RTD in today's Guardian claiming he hasn't prostituted the show out yet apparently what started as a British programme will be aired in the US a week before the UK.

I understand that's because the lion's share of the funding has come from the US but it still seems wrong to me.

RTD really has sold Torchwood out imo :(

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Is the difference not showing twenty aerial shots of cardiff city every episode

This still being on shows that not enough people have noticed like the guys on the rumdoings podcast have about RTD terrible work.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I do wonder if the
paedophilia : http://ragnarfan.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/billmpullman-toplay-torchwoods-controversial-murdering-pedophile-in-the-new-world/
is the part missed in the UK version.

One would hope so.
Hmm, considering there was already an episode of Torchwood shown on the BBC that prominently featured a man with an unhealthly interest in little children, I can't imagine they would suddenly cut something like that for the UK version, unless it was really pushing the boundaries.

Secondly, if I recall, the general premise of the other Torchwood "event" Children of Earth was that the alien race the team found themselves dealing with was using human children as a drug of sorts, essentially getting "high" off them. Creepy. The again, the whole "kids" issue is even more of a big deal over here than it probably was back when Torchwood was last on our screens so who knows.

I've never been a major Torchwood fan, but I thought Children of Earth was quite good so I'll probably check this out, though I'm not sure if I'll wait until it actually appears on the BBC before doing so.