US Army Tests "The Laser"

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Frizzle said:
So when we blow up a Nuke coming from N. Korea... we're going to know it's launched and get a plane up in the air in time to blow it up ....where exactly? I mean, that cloud of explosive material and radiation has to go somewhere...

Mostly what I'm getting at is that it's better to do a "strike first" thing with non-nukes than to actually let them (them = anyone) get the missile off in the first place....
I hope you know that just making a nuke explode willy-nilly is incredibly stupid. I don't know the details of the laser system but why in the hell would it make the uranium/plutonium reach critical mass, when all you really have to do is destroy the detonator. A regular explosion does not fission make. Once the detonator is destroyed, the missle itself would have all the use of a large baseball bat.

EDIT: Further Research revealed that the laser system simple heats the housing of said ICBM, causing structural failure due to the stress of flight. In this case, the missle would basically just fly apart. Contrary to popular belief, its not that easy to achieve the critical mass necessary for a fission explosion, and it just doesn't happen by accident.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
pyromcr said:
i doubt it will work, it is just a wast of tax dollars...
They already have truck-mounted lasers for disarming IEDs.

-- Alex

Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Yes, yes, but can it FLOAT man? A flying laser, what good is that. But one mounted to the head of a shark, THAT has potential. Why shoot down missiles that have been launched, when you can shoot the subs before they launch them. And the system would be self-refueling, as the shark can just eat the crew of any sub or ship it sinks... And possibly anyone swimming near Amity Island.

I say we try the basic laser with a Mako (Short Fin), a twin-laser design on a Great Hammerhead, and maybe a compact light version on a pack of Blue Sharks.
While the idea of fricking laser sharks is a sound one, you might have a little bit of a problem firing a heat based weapon through water...Now sonics, there's an idea...

Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
While the idea of fricking laser sharks is a sound one, you might have a little bit of a problem firing a heat based weapon through water...Now sonics, there's an idea...
Root, you would NEVER make a good government engineer or evil genius with that kind of thinking. Sonic weapons in water? Sonic cannons are for SPACE, where there is no sound. Lasers for undersea, flame throwers for surface ships, and freeze rays in Siberia.
No, they would be terrible ideas. Truly preposterous.

[small]Quick, find out how he got those details on what we're building! I don't care. Whatever it costs![/small]

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Danzaivar said:
I like how people are saying 'Why are these being made' or 'Who are we going to use these on' when the article clearly says to counter any threat from a Nuclear North Korea.
The article can say what it damn well likes, doesn't mean it's true.
Danzaivar said:
Frankly I think it's a fantastic invention, since the Cold War we've all potentially been 7 minutes from Worldwide devastation. About time a reliable counter-measure was introduced.
How come there hasn't been all-out nuclear war yet? Mutually Assured Destruction. But that's thrown out the window if laser-planes are put to use. The US could launch nukes at whoever it likes without worrying about retaliation. Really, every country should be given a fleet of laser-planes.

Actually, how about just abolish war. Never thought of that one, didja? ;)

AceDiamond said:
I'd like to point out that (as far as I know) the only president to seriously consider firing nukes at another country outside of the cold war (and even then as the absolute last resort) was George W. Bush, who claimed he was going to do that to Iraq if they didn't play nice...or something.
That's because those presidents didn't have Lasers On Planes!

They'd be a lot quicker to push the button if they knew they couldn't be retaliated upon.

AceDiamond said:
I can of course be completely wrong, but at this point with the cold war over the threat of ICBMs only seems to come from rogue nations like North Korea (although their nukes don't work really), and thus the need for a defense system. And not just for the United States, I'll add.
No, not just for the US, but also for all their allies AS LONG AS THEY GO ALONG WITH ALL OF AMERICA'S FUTURE IDIOT SCHEMES TO SPREAD GENOCIDE FREEDOM AROUND THE WORLD (WHICH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRACK-RECORD BY THE WAY). Basically it's yet another way to force everyone to do what they want. What jerks.

Also, whose side would they be on in the conflict over Kashmir? (in which both aggressors are nuclear-armed states) Pakistan is a "valued ally in the war on terror," but what about India?

TexaNigerian said:
After building a weapon like this, the next step is to manufacture an enemy!
This.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
it would be a freedom star and instead of gray is would be red white and blue

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
oktalist said:
[Everything this guy said]
You forget that America is the "good guy". The US either a) doesn't want to blow up and/or take over the entire world and b) if they want to, then they have to deal with a whole bunch of people who don't. You have no idea how much "world opinion" affects the decisions the US makes now a days (especially with the new president in office).

In fact, I'm frankly surprised that this is being done without a whole bunch of Hippie Protesters taking to the streets with their "War is not my voice" and "Make Love Not War" signs and "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance" playing loud in the background...

Besides, what does Britain have to worry about? The US is on your side!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
oktalist said:
Danzaivar said:
I like how people are saying 'Why are these being made' or 'Who are we going to use these on' when the article clearly says to counter any threat from a Nuclear North Korea.
The article can say what it damn well likes, doesn't mean it's true.
Danzaivar said:
Frankly I think it's a fantastic invention, since the Cold War we've all potentially been 7 minutes from Worldwide devastation. About time a reliable counter-measure was introduced.
How come there hasn't been all-out nuclear war yet? Mutually Assured Destruction. But that's thrown out the window if laser-planes are put to use. The US could launch nukes at whoever it likes without worrying about retaliation. Really, every country should be given a fleet of laser-planes.

Actually, how about just abolish war. Never thought of that one, didja? ;)

AceDiamond said:
I'd like to point out that (as far as I know) the only president to seriously consider firing nukes at another country outside of the cold war (and even then as the absolute last resort) was George W. Bush, who claimed he was going to do that to Iraq if they didn't play nice...or something.
That's because those presidents didn't have Lasers On Planes!

They'd be a lot quicker to push the button if they knew they couldn't be retaliated upon.

AceDiamond said:
I can of course be completely wrong, but at this point with the cold war over the threat of ICBMs only seems to come from rogue nations like North Korea (although their nukes don't work really), and thus the need for a defense system. And not just for the United States, I'll add.
No, not just for the US, but also for all their allies AS LONG AS THEY GO ALONG WITH ALL OF AMERICA'S FUTURE IDIOT SCHEMES TO SPREAD GENOCIDE FREEDOM AROUND THE WORLD (WHICH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRACK-RECORD BY THE WAY). Basically it's yet another way to force everyone to do what they want. What jerks.

Also, whose side would they be on in the conflict over Kashmir? (in which both aggressors are nuclear-armed states) Pakistan is a "valued ally in the war on terror," but what about India?

TexaNigerian said:
After building a weapon like this, the next step is to manufacture an enemy!
This.
Rogue states like North Korea (and Iran, maybe) probably don't care about Mutually Assured Destruction, so there needs to be something to trump that.

That would be Laser Planes.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Rogue states like North Korea (and Iran, maybe) probably don't care about Mutually Assured Destruction, so there needs to be something to trump that.
Really? They don't care if they get blown to buggery by the west's vastly superior firepower?

Danzaivar said:
Lasers on Planes, call it by its name ;)

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
oktalist said:
Danzaivar said:
Really? They don't care if they get blown to buggery by the west's vastly superior firepower?

Danzaivar said:
Lasers on Planes, call it by its name ;)
Well North Korea might, but Iran supplies stuff for the Taleban, who think you get massive rewards when you die in Jihad. I'm not saying they're definitely willing to destroy the world to get rid of the West, but I am saying it's too big a risk to just ignore.

Hence the laser(s on) planes.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Lasers on Planes?
The only thing more awesome could be People on Planes. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iME3-RzyE80&feature=channel_page] But they don't stop nukes, unfortunately.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
While its comforting to think that the government has ways of stopping ICBMs, there is a hidden problem of 'how effective is it really?'

First off, the laser is currently not designed to take out ICBMs, but merely tactical ballistic missiles (TBMs), which have a much shorter range then ICBMs and a thinner shell (the exception being liquid-fueled ICBMs), meaning they are more likely to be able to weaken the skin in order to cause the structural failure of the missile that would result in it tearing itself apart mid-flight.

Secondly, the laser must be near the launch site, within hundreds of kilometres of the launch site, otherwise it is completely ineffective against the intended missile. The laser must also target the same area of the missile long enough to melt the outer layer of the ICBM, causing a critical structural failure in flight. Even then, once the missile is gone, we still have the problem of an armed, out of control nuclear warhead.

Thirdly, the laser is also rendered useless against MIRVs, Multiple Independently targetable Re-entry Vehicles. Each warhead within the rocket is, in essence, a smaller rocket, capable of guiding itself over long distances. Suddenly, you've got 4 missiles to contend with, each capable of surviving the destruction of the carrier missile.

Fourthly, and my final post before I decide I should get to sleep, the laser is in a 747. We're talking about one of the biggest planes in the sky right now. Those aren't just going to fly around unnoticed. Even if they fly/build in scramblers or jammers, it wouldn't be too hard to look up and see one. Until it can be built into a smaller scale, it isn't effective given the carrier sky.

Before I go, I know it may seem odd for someone to know this much about ballistic missile defences. The only reason I know most of this is that I recently did a project on missiles and missile defence, otherwise, I wouldn't know much about the subject at all.