US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Huh, that is a pretty logical way to handle the situation.
Pretty logically BORING. Cmooooon U.S., you're bigger than that!

You want to stop Godzilla in the dumbest most badass way possible?!
Two Words:

RIP Godjira/your recently un-moist pants/civilians who died from the crossfire or through sheer hype.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.
I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.
And yet you still haven't defeated them...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.
You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.
It about the first bit. The part about the real war. I don't particularly want to get into it as it's 3:30 AM and I've had a few drinks. All in all, it will boil down to me throwing out how much we have spent, how many have died, and how we haven't made any meaningful progress, and are leaving with our tail between our legs.
As my counter I'd throw out how many schools are now operational, how many more of them have died (seriously, given how many people died in older wars you'd think we'd lost the stomach for it when someone brought up the point, given how more soldiers died at home in car accidents in the same timeframe) and how there has been meaningful progress (especially in the urban areas where most of the population lives) in all the conflicts except the Congo Crisis (which was more of a refugee crisis then a conflict).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
AJey said:
Zontar said:
AJey said:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.
I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.
And yet you still haven't defeated them...
Well it's an insurgency, Russia hasn't fully put down their own at home that started over 20 years ago. You don't defeat insurgencies militarily, you just use the military to thin out their numbers while the real work of destroying them once and for all is done by forming a stabile government and military/police force (which, given how the afghan security force and police have been doing most of the fighting in recent years and with good success, coupled with a falling recruitment level for both insurgencies, it's working). Really the only way to say the war isn't working/didn't work is to misinterpret the numbers and go with it.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
This is a problem with any giant monster attack story-the monsters always need to be mysteriously bullet proof to explain why the military can't take them down. Not that I'm complaining! I like that idea in fiction.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Godzilla has displayed an uncanny ability to sustain damage throughout his films.
Starting in the first Godzilla film, Godzilla displayed an immunity to conventional weaponry, virtually impervious to everything the JSDF threw at him. He has demonstrated the ability to survive complete submersion in magma for an extended period of time, sometimes while under extreme pressure from tectonic plates (as seen in Godzilla vs. Mothra). He has even survived being in ground zero of asteroid impacts. The only times his flesh has been visibly pierced were in battle with the Super X, Showa Gigan, Biollante, King Ghidorah, Destoroyah, and from MechaGodzilla's weapons in the Showa, Heisei and Millennium series.

In addition to being extremely resistant to damage, Godzilla possesses an extremely advanced and highly efficient regenerative ability. This power was a crucial plot point of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla 2000: Millennium. In Godzilla 2000, it is explained that Godzilla's regenerative abilities may have something to do with his radioactive properties, and Regenerator G-1 ("Organizer G-1" in the Japanese version) is the name given to a substance in his cells that is responsible for Godzilla's swift healing. In Godzilla vs. Biollante, Japanese scientists use samples of the Godzilla cells (called G-cells throughout the Heisei series of Godzilla films) to help create the ANEB. This healing factor would be inherited by all creatures spawned from Godzilla's DNA, those being Biollante, SpaceGodzilla and Orga.
I don't think the US military (or any military) could do shit against someone who can take an asteroid to the face, and keep on punching afterwards.

Besides, they're going about it the wrong way, Big-G just wants to love and be loved, like some giant scaly version of Barry White.

Godzilla only "hates humans because they hate him."

source [http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla]

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.
You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.
It about the first bit. The part about the real war. I don't particularly want to get into it as it's 3:30 AM and I've had a few drinks. All in all, it will boil down to me throwing out how much we have spent, how many have died, and how we haven't made any meaningful progress, and are leaving with our tail between our legs.
As my counter I'd throw out how many schools are now operational, how many more of them have died (seriously, given how many people died in older wars you'd think we'd lost the stomach for it when someone brought up the point, given how more soldiers died at home in car accidents in the same timeframe) and how there has been meaningful progress (especially in the urban areas where most of the population lives) in all the conflicts except the Congo Crisis (which was more of a refugee crisis then a conflict).
We'll see just how much of that "progress" sticks when we leave. Who knows, maybe it will get better because we will stop bombing wedding parties and other non-combatants.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
We'll see just how much of that "progress" sticks when we leave. Who knows, maybe it will get better because we will stop bombing wedding parties and other non-combatants.
Well, I think things will improve there over time, the Pandora's box of a stable (at least by comparison to its predecessors) government and security force with some degree of accountability is something they'll have a hard time putting back in. And keep in mind I'm a guy who's being optimistic about this, and I'm generally known for being a pessimistic, cynical bastard.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Well, I think things will improve there over time, the Pandora's box of a stable (at least by comparison to its predecessors) government and security force with some degree of accountability is something they'll have a hard time putting back in. And keep in mind I'm a guy who's being optimistic about this, and I'm generally known for being a pessimistic, cynical bastard.
Hopefully, but I don't have the same level of hope. Regardless, I'm too worried about my own country's stability at the moment to care too much about a country that doesn't want us there in the first place.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
a country that doesn't want us there in the first place.
Well, that's true in the since there are people there who didn't want us to be, but given that we didn't set boots on the ground apart from advisers until after the provisional government had overthrown the Taliban, and they requested the expeditionary force to help them keep stability, it's neither here nor there.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Well, that's true in the since there are people there who didn't want us to be, but given that we didn't set boots on the ground apart from advisers until after the provisional government had overthrown the Taliban, and they requested the expeditionary force to help them keep stability, it's neither here nor there.
Let's see a source on that claim.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
It was after the Northern Alliance took Kabul. There where already CIA and special forces on the ground and the air camping (what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them, given what most of them believed about the world) but the bulk of the expeditionary force hasn't entered the country at that point. It was all part of Operation Enduring Freedom -Afghanistan (though why they called 5 military operations the same thing with only the locations being different is beyond me). The agreement was made before the actual operation, but given the state the Northern Alliance was in before the liberation of Kabul they where in no position to claim to be the de facto government at the time.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I personally like the part at the end where he believes that it would take "A day or two" to stop ONE very large target.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
It was after the Northern Alliance took Kabul. There where already CIA and special forces on the ground and the air camping (what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them, given what most of them believed about the world) but the bulk of the expeditionary force hasn't entered the country at that point. It was all part of Operation Enduring Freedom -Afghanistan (though why they called 5 military operations the same thing with only the locations being different is beyond me). The agreement was made before the actual operation, but given the state the Northern Alliance was in before the liberation of Kabul they where in no position to claim to be the de facto government at the time.
First off, you didn't provide a source.

Secondly,
what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them
You need to seek some professional help. I have nothing more to say to a madman like yourself.
It was years ago on the news, I can't remember the source and after an all-nighter I'm not interested in looking it up. As for the "what where they thinking" part, what I meant by that is this: the Taliban and Al-Qaeda where for the most part filled with ranks which believed their holy texts where literal texts and they had known very little of what our modern technology of war was capable of. What I wanted to know what what where they thinking when bombs they couldn't see or hear coming which where able to strike them with accuracy and impunity. For some of them it was probably like god was striking them down, or something. It's just curiosity of how they would interpreted what was happening around them given the different culture and education they where raised with.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Chessrook44 said:
I personally like the part at the end where he believes that it would take "A day or two" to stop ONE very large target.
In fairness, the US military isn't really expected to have anyone one 24 hour standby to fight giant monsters appearing somewhere, presumably in the US. Most significant threats are expected to be seen coming.

But, really, any first world military with any sort of airforce (or possibly navy, depending on things) would make a mess of something like that.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Please, there is no way we could realistically take on something like Godzilla. Now, zombies. That is a much more realistic opponent. After all the US Military has actually put to together a report in order to deal with an actual zombie apocalypse.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/223872345/CONPLAN-8888

This is real. Your tax dollars at work.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
First off, you didn't provide a source.

Secondly,
what I'd pay to know what was going threw their heads when death from above came to them
You need to seek some professional help. I have nothing more to say to a madman like yourself.
Are you actually serious, mate?

This rather well-spoken man puts forwards his points backing them up with point after point of evidence that though not linked can be solved with a ten second search. He makes a rather interesting point on how someone who spends most of their life believing in nothing but their holy text and killing for it, suddenly to discover modern warfare bearing down on them when they try and make everyone follow said holy text.

And all you do is call him a madman, telling him he needs help and meanwhile provide no points of your own without the slightest SHRED of evidence to back it up? All of your replies are just taking a single word from his paragraph or two of actual thought out content and going "I don't think "THIS" will happen" whilst dripping sarcasm faster than a tumblr-ite on crack.

Bloody hell mate, you need to learn some damn manners. You are being snide and rude for the sake of it, and not even remotely providing anything to back up your side of the discussion. Seriously. Just some common decency would be nice.

OT:

This is awesome. I do like the odd-ball stories like this, and that one where the proposal actually went through to have the US build the Death Star. Sadly, they replied with the usual non-committal and politicly correct no, but one can wish.

On the note of killing God-Zilla though, can someone please let me know HOW they stop him? Spoiler if you must, or PM but I'm trying to work out how. I don't particularly like villains that can't be stopped by ANY other means apart from the one macguffin, which is what this currently sounds like. Anyway, thanks in advance for any clearance on that matter.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well the US military would only engage Godzilla in combat if he had untapped oil reserves. And as we all know, the only way to defeat the big G is the power of love!

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Godzilla is fucking impervious to nuclear weapons, hell, he was BORN FROM THEM.

I don't think the man knows what he's talking about.