US Navy Helps Create Camera-Hijacking Smartphone Malware

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Because the "bad guys"/"terrorists"/etc. all have smart phones right? Oh wait, it's regular people.
And this isn't news, it has existed for a while (years).

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Guys, the article openly states that images that are extremely dark, like the inside of a pocket, are filtered out.
So it'll get the bathroom floor, the ceiling above my bed and the inside of a car/train. You could get more from just posing as a delivery man and knocking on my door.

Edito: Scratch that, plumber would work better.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I almost missed this news, and it is interesting for me since it hits close to home because I only live a few miles away from Crane.

My mom use to work there and my dad still does. I always found it odd that a major US naval center was placed near the middle of the country.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Sounds cool.

Make it open source, let the good times of infinite lulz begin.

It would be Back Orifice all over again, in glorious 3D. You wouldn't believe the transparency granted from random citizens and corporations. Scientology freaks, pedophiles, ISPs... they were all up for grabs, and it was splendid comedy, drama and horror all rolled into one. That was some splendid fun. The most activity for seemingly coordinated amateur spying we could trace came from Turkey, other Arab states and China. Guess they just couldn't resist some free remote administratin'.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
They were running a public experiment with a university. Experiments like these are designed to counter cybercrimes/terrorism and learn how to fight them, not to use them against citizens. At least that is how they start...

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
jetriot said:
They were running a public experiment with a university. Experiments like these are designed to counter cybercrimes/terrorism and learn how to fight them, not to use them against citizens. At least that is how they start...
In all seriousness - imagine this app as a friendly little helper in the hands of an officer in the field - instant 3D maps of any location. Something like the little scanners in Prometheus.

I think that would be genuinely awesome.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
I don't have a smart phone, nor am I paying for online service...

But even if they DID get my camera on my phone to work, I don't really care as all they'd get is photos of my ceiling or inside my pants. And if they want photos of the inside of my pant pockets that badly, they can have them. :p

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't think this kind of software would manage to do much with my phone. If the phone isn't in my pocket it's laying with the camera face down on my night stand. I'm sure they'll get great pictures during the 3 seconds it's in mid air and pointed at my wall 6 inches away though.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
There are precisely two locations they would glean from my phone. My pocket and my bedroom, and if they don't take fairly frequent photos they'll probably only get the back of my TV, my door, and some of my bed. Congratulations, you now know - oh wait s*** my planner is on the back of my door.

Thank God I never write anything on it.