US Senator: Preserving Videogame History Wastes Money

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
US Senator: Preserving Videogame History Wastes Money

In a report called "Wastebook 2011," Senator Tom Coburn included a $100k grant to preserve videogame artifacts.

If you've read the news or watched the Daily Show at all in the last few years, you might have noticed that the United States has a bit of a fiscal problem. There's this budget deficit, you see, and it keeps getting bigger, forcing the US treasury further in debt. Washington is split on how to deal with it, but it is popular among Republican lawmakers nowadays to point out all of the ridiculous things on which our government spends money. The junior Senator from Oklahoma, Tom Coburn, has taken on fighting against "pork-barreling" as a personal crusade. On his list this year though is a grant given to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games (ICHEG) in Rochester, NY for $113,277 to aid preservation of videogame software, technical documents, and professional correspondence.

"This report details 100 of the countless unnecessary, duplicative, or just plain stupid projects spread throughout the federal government and paid for with your tax dollars this year that highlight the out-ofcontrol and shortsighted spending excesses in Washington," writes Coburn.

Despite this blanket statement, Coburn's report is careful not to pass judgement specifically on whether videogames are an important part of our cultural heritage. "Some of the projects listed within this report may indeed serve useful purposes or have merit and those associated with the projects may disagree that they are not national priorities."

Jon-Paul Dyson was happy to oblige Coburn, and as leader of the ICHEG he is uniquely equipped to respond. "We believe videogames not only are the most dynamic, exciting, and innovative form of media today but also an important form of play and a driver of cultural change," Dyson wrote in response to his organization's inclusion on Coburn's list. He continued:

If we do not act now, many of the early electronic games and the record of their influence on society will be lost. Videogames are stored in digital formats that don't last forever. The lifespan of tapes, disks, cartridges, and CDs is measured in decades, not centuries, and the software and hardware running these games are becoming obsolete.

We are working to preserve videogames and a record of their impact on our society. We have assembled a collection of more than 36,000 video games and related artifacts; we are creating exhibits to tell their history; and we are preserving records of the people and businesses who create these games and the players who love them.

In addition to that all that, the IMLS grant is allowing us to establish standards for preserving videogames, to ensure we have the hardware and software to access these games now and in the future, and to record video of each of these games to capture their play.

I know that arguing for or against specific grants or other bits of government spending is futile. I can't say for sure whether a grant to help preserve videogames is more important than, say, cancer research or education. But having heard from Dyson and Coburn, we can at least have the facts before we debate its relative importance.

What do you think? Should the U.S. government help fund the preservation of games?

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public//index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=b69a6ebd-7ebe-41b7-bb03-c25a5e194365]

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Even if it was "unnecessary, duplicative, or just plain stupid (which it isn't)," $113,000 is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the billions upon billions that have been wasted on frivolous programs like the "War on Drugs" and "Abstinence Only" education.

This is just another cheap shot at the medium because politicians know they can get away with vilifying it.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
I'm a pretty liberal guy, but honestly, preserving history isn't really the government's job.

If private citizens are interested in preserving the history of fillintheblank, then it should be up to them to make the donations. Personally, I'd rather see better schools, infrastructure, and healthcare for all (told you I was liberal). That's what the government is there for: protecting and maintaining the health and well-being of the citizens. Supporting the arts and history is, and always has been, the domain of patrons and private interests.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Does the government get more than $100,000 from the taxes of video game customers and producers? Yes. Now shut up.

Oh dear, going on a 'between the lines' read, he cites Pacman as an example... I think we know how knowledgeable our friend here is on the matter.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Perhaps we should put it on a lower priority. Like they said, their life-span is measured in decades. The U.S. might be in a better state in a few decades but I'm not one to comment on the technicalities of tapes, disks and etc.

Also, who can judge what is important and what isn't? Just food for thought.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'm not really sure this is something the government needs to be funding, sure it should be done, not doubt there, I'm just not convinced its 'government grant money' material.

course, 113K isn't even a foot note in the list of the BILLIONS the government wastes on its own

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Hey Senator Tom Coburn, You know what else was a waste of money?, YOUR MUM LAST NIGHT
Ahem, That really isnt a lot of money comapred to some things.

leahzero

May 20, 2007
What if this was about art? Would hearts soften at the idea of preserving precious paintings, sculpture, or architecture?

I can't help but think the reluctance to classify video games as art lies at the core of this. The medium is still too new and too synonymous with "entertainment" in the minds of 50+-year-old lawmakers. Novels were once maligned as crude entertainment for the masses; now we call the pulp of yesteryear Literature with a capital L.

Should federal tax dollars be paying for this, though? I dunno.

But I'd definitely chip in a few bucks for something like this. Raising $100k from the millions of gamers in this country wouldn't be a huge stretch.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
They spend millions cleaning a few tin cans you guys fired at the moon, why not a few videogames and a one percent budget cut for the Smithsonian space exhibit...

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
That is what they worry about? THAT is what they BLOODY WORRY ABOUT? Not subsidies for pet projects, not overpaying for construction, not pork barrel legislation, not token gestures at major problems, not underfunded pipe dream projects, not GROSS CORRUPTION in government agencies, not funding obsolete government agencies (Do you know the FDA regulates the size of the holes in Swiss Cheese?), not spending money on suing states for enacting Federal Laws...

I can go on...

But they worry about spending just over a hundred grand on THAT? And doing it ONCE? I believe we take in 60 BILLION dollars a day in revenue, plus we spend about a third over that...hell, the ATF spent more than that buying a conference table. (A SINGLE conference table.) The IRS LOSES more than that every day in operations. The Army dosen't even spend that much on an Abrams or a Bradley or a Stryker.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
OuroborosChoked said:
I'm a pretty liberal guy, but honestly, preserving history isn't really the government's job.

If private citizens are interested in preserving the history of fillintheblank, then it should be up to them to make the donations. Personally, I'd rather see better schools, infrastructure, and healthcare for all (told you I was liberal). That's what the government is there for: protecting and maintaining the health and well-being of the citizens. Supporting the arts and history is, and always has been, the domain of patrons and private interests.
I was going to say this too, but then I remembered that video games are all under copyright and the "technical documents and professional correspondence" mentioned are probably things that developers, or whoever bought them out by now, might not want to make public. A private organization trying to obtain such things for preservation might find themselves blocked by the people they'd want to obtain this data from. (Hell, as far as preserving the actual games go, pirates are already ensuring that it continues floating around the ether. It's just that their work happens to be illegal, currently.) A government-run effort could just say "Sorry, we're the government; we make the rules, so hand it over." Whether or not you believe they should be able to do that is another matter, mind you.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't see why something like this couldn't just be funded by fundraisers and donations. They may not be able to get all the way to 100 grand, but I honestly can't see it costing that much to begin with.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Is he serious? That's like a yearly salary for a low level banker at Goldman Sachs.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I say we make Dubya pay back all the money lost during HIS term in office. That guy's as liable as a serial killer found with bloody hands and arms with the knife in his hand and SITTING on all of his victims. Soak Cheney while we're at it.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Cost/benefit analysis.

On one hand, you preserve the origins of a medium. Some day, these things will be like the early drafts of Shakespear, an early recording of Miles Davis, or a Piccasso in its origginal form.

On the other hand, you spend money. One half of one percent what the presidents spends on one trip to Europe on security alone. That itself is a drop in the bucket.

This is precisely the kind of government programs that should be non-controversial. Relatively insignificant investments that have the potential for large future, cultural payoffs that just don't make sense for a private company to do. Were talking 1/30th of 1 cent from each American, and that's to say nothing of making a job or 2.

I suggest he go talk to Warren Buffet about where we should cut some fat.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"I can't say for sure whether a grant to help preserve videogames is more important than, say, cancer research or education. "

Uuh... why not?

Anyway, he's right, and I don't really see why they would fund it. On the other hand, 100k is but a poo-particle in the shit storm that is America's debt.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
On one hand, you preserve the origins of a medium. Some day, these things will be like the early drafts of Shakespear, an early recording of Miles Davis, or a Piccasso in its origginal form.
Moviebob did an analysis of lost medium history (It is on his youtube, not here) and hearing what happened just made me sad.

With the media in question being digital with paper boxes/pamphlets, it really should not be that difficult to keep the history intact and prevent time from erasing our history.

That said, the preservation should really fall in the hands of private investors and collectors; people who actually care about it. The government shouldn't be investing in it. And realistically, if everyone who spent money on video games this year were asked to donate $1, and only half of them actually sent in a dollar we'd have way more money than what the government is putting into the project. I know I'd do it, I've wasted a dollar on worse things.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
As much as this sounds like a rational thought to me (getting video games and culture therein preserved in a federal museum, for well under 1 cent per citizen), I'm still not sure exactly what would be going into such a project. The main thing that separates gaming from other popular media is its interactivity, and the thought of old manuals and hint guides sitting under glass doesn't really sit well with me. At the same time, neither does simply having a bunch of MAME-ified cabinets set up where people can pick through gaming history with zero context whatsoever for the software they're firing up.

My current idea what a gaming museum should look like? Keep the arcade cabinet loadout for an "archive" type thing, with tablets dangling off the side to display things like arcade flyers and other promo stuff, maybe a little write-up on its significance in gaming culture at large, and even some handy control guides and hints for the outsider, try and slowly introduce them to the hobby that's devoured the free time of their children and loved ones.

Also, like a traditional museum, there would be an exhibit that changes every three months or so detailing some of the larger events in the culture. Like a timeline on the development of Duke Nukem Forever, complete with demos of all the advances in FPS gameplay in that time. Or a look into symposium on text adventure games, with the ability to switch between Infocom-type gameplay or a Choose Your Own Adventure type method for those looking to get through Zork as quickly as possible on their Kindles.

Every month, the Librarium Gametronica (working title for the place) would fund itself through competitive gaming. Not just Call of Duty and Starcraft, but also setting up an alternate Twin Galaxies where vintage arcade units will be brought out for world record attempts. Half the entry fees go into the museum costs, the other go into the prize pool.

...Yeah, this might take more than $113,277 to get off the ground...

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
They spend millions cleaning a few tin cans you guys fired at the moon, why not a few videogames and a one percent budget cut for the Smithsonian space exhibit...
A few tin cans?? Really?!?! Do you realize what you're saying? I really do hope you're being funny or some kind of smart ass.