US To Require Cars to Communicate With Each Other

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
FoolKiller said:
thiosk said:
I support making the automobile more autonomous. Yes, there are privacy concerns.

However, 30,000 + people die in america per year on the road.

Thats too many, and since expecting people to actually get better at driving while being less distracted is a completely unrealistic pipe dream, we tech our way out.
No. The problem is that licensing drivers is expected. How about not licensing those who aren't skilled enough?
Yes, how about changing the entire social paradigm on which the modern world is constructed. Please; while we're dreaming, I want a flying ridable panther. We cannot even agree as a society when its socially acceptable to discuss taking driving privileges away from illegal immigrants and the extreme elderly. Take the elderly, they're a pretty effective voting block, good luck winning when you've alienated them by passage of law.

Further, "skilled" is a functionally meaningless word. This isn't "'ey mate you be a mighty skilled driver eh wot." A driver is said to be "experienced" when they have booked 50,000 miles. An inexperienced driver is substantially more likely to have collisions. Forbidding inexperienced individuals from driving will not make more skilled drivers, it just raises the barrier to entry artificially, in a society where social mobility is innately linked to physical mobility and in which few alternatives exist to the automobile.

I hold that rising distractions and the spectre of impaired driving (drugs, alcohol, lack of sleep) are much more important than skill. People don't have many accidents because they turned the wheel left when they meant to turn right. They have accidents when they go to text "i luv u" to their special friend and smack into an old lady in a hoverround.

Autonomous driving is inevitable. I expect that you will need special training and simulator hours to be legally licensed to pilot a vehicle in otherwise automated traffic by 2050.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
Idk sounds distracting. What do you do when it messes up and you have a beepathon in your car for no reason or someone
Lulz it up on the freeway making people react to false positives? One thing I seen is people overreacting and causing a bigger mess.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
thiosk said:
FoolKiller said:
thiosk said:
I support making the automobile more autonomous. Yes, there are privacy concerns.

However, 30,000 + people die in america per year on the road.

Thats too many, and since expecting people to actually get better at driving while being less distracted is a completely unrealistic pipe dream, we tech our way out.
No. The problem is that licensing drivers is expected. How about not licensing those who aren't skilled enough?
Yes, how about changing the entire social paradigm on which the modern world is constructed. Please; while we're dreaming, I want a flying ridable panther. We cannot even agree as a society when its socially acceptable to discuss taking driving privileges away from illegal immigrants and the extreme elderly. Take the elderly, they're a pretty effective voting block, good luck winning when you've alienated them by passage of law.
Excellent. Start your retort with nonsense. Always a good way to go.

And once again, you're focusing on the wrong thing. "Take the elderly"? Why? Age doesn't make you a bad driver. It does contribute to the deterioration of physical abilities required for driving but doesn't mean anything on its own. My father is 64 years old. He was racing competitively 3 years ago with people half his age. Age doesn't mean anything as it has no context.
thiosk said:
Further, "skilled" is a functionally meaningless word. This isn't "'ey mate you be a mighty skilled driver eh wot." A driver is said to be "experienced" when they have booked 50,000 miles. An inexperienced driver is substantially more likely to have collisions. Forbidding inexperienced individuals from driving will not make more skilled drivers, it just raises the barrier to entry artificially, in a society where social mobility is innately linked to physical mobility and in which few alternatives exist to the automobile.
Skilled isn't meaningless. In fact, its the only thing that does matter. This isn't a video game. Experience does not necessarily result in skill development. I never said that you should forbid inexperienced drivers. I just think you should raise the bar for entry.

The testing required to become a licensed driver doesn't really test your skill on the road or your ability to control a motored vehicle. You want a better test than following stupid directions? How about giving someone a map and telling them the destination and they have to get there. No guidance or instruction from the proctor. They can then judge both your ability to plan and your ability to drive through a city without being told to turn left, right, etc. If you can't do it then you shouldn't be allowed to drive alone anyways.

thiosk said:
I hold that rising distractions and the spectre of impaired driving (drugs, alcohol, lack of sleep) are much more important than skill. People don't have many accidents because they turned the wheel left when they meant to turn right. They have accidents when they go to text "i luv u" to their special friend and smack into an old lady in a hoverround.
Distracted/impaired driving and skill are two completely distinct things. You could be skilled but if you are a fucking idiot and text or drink and drive then skill is irrelevant. Accidents related to skill are not about knowing left from right, rather they are about how far to turn the wheel, how hard to push the brake, how much slower than the speed limit you should go because of reduced traction and visibility, paying attention to everything around you, knowing that signalling is meant to indicate a desire and doesn't automatically mean you can switch lanes and so on. It's knowing that you shouldn't drive beyond the abilities of the vehicle. It's knowing that you can't drive more aggressively just because you're in an SUV because while the car is bigger, heavier, and safer for the driver, the traction may just be as poor as a sedan in icy conditions.

Also, if you're guilty of distracted driving, then you should have stiffer penalties. Fuck a fine. Rather, suspend the license for 30 days AND take away the cell phone for the same period. If you start taking away phones people will suddenly stop using them while driving.
thiosk said:
Autonomous driving is inevitable. I expect that you will need special training and simulator hours to be legally licensed to pilot a vehicle in otherwise automated traffic by 2050.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
So are they all going to talk American? If so, which version (1980's, 2000, or the new PWN-SPK)? What about imports? We already have BWM issues with different languages in their systems.

In another news story, Iran and China have unofficially opened up the Won-X prize to see who can write the first virus to make Americans all stay at home. Driving while your car is beeping would invalidate insurance as you could not possibly know if it is safe. This could actually lead to fixing some of the pollution damage, so I am all for it. Then again, I run 1/2 marathons, so walking does not bother me. ;)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
You know what this is going to do to drivers instead of warn them? Freak them out. How would you like an unexpected voice or buzz or beep from nowhere suddenly shouting out? That'll break the flow of concentration worse than another car you might not immediately see, one where you might react to avoid that problem instead of possibly being startled at the exact worst moment, which could cause you to get into a far worse wreck than you might've been in.

This will not be embraced without severe trouble. You need better drivers, not things that beep at us. The accident will only be made worse by a sudden distraction from the driving that we're doing, especially if the driver is not into this generation of technology. Oh, and you need to stop making fiberglass cars. They're SHATTER in a collision.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
BS we all know its so the government can track you and keep an eye on people.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
FalloutJack said:
You know what this is going to do to drivers instead of warn them? Freak them out. How would you like an unexpected voice or buzz or beep from nowhere suddenly shouting out? That'll break the flow of concentration worse than another car you might not immediately see, one where you might react to avoid that problem instead of possibly being startled at the exact worst moment, which could cause you to get into a far worse wreck than you might've been in.

This will not be embraced without severe trouble. You need better drivers, not things that beep at us. The accident will only be made worse by a sudden distraction from the driving that we're doing, especially if the driver is not into this generation of technology. Oh, and you need to stop making fiberglass cars. They're SHATTER in a collision.
They use this technology today is some cars and it not bothering the drivers. And as for your last point, which would you rather jump down into from a 10 foot drop, a large block of steel, or a large block of foam. The steel won't budge, and it'll hurt. The foam is going to crumple and absorb the impact. Car that can crumple on impact have saved thousands of lives in the past 30 years.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It could be neat if they were to say; make your car automatically brake if it's about to hit another car. If it's just another thing on the dashboard, it still falls to the incompetent human inside to handle it.
Like half of drivers have no business being on the road. The sooner robo-cars become a thing, the better.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Yeah I think I will stick to my current car. I like them with as few sensors not needed to run the engine as possible.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
teknoarcanist said:
Why is everyone freaking out?

Here's what this technology represents in the immediate future:

You go to merge from an on-ramp. There's someone coming up fast in your blind spot. The car beeps to warn you.

That's it. It's vehicle-to-vehicle communication, not fucking Skynet. Self-driving cars are still 10+ years away.
Because this is the Escapist. Do you not remember that news article about a potential cure for AIDs? A fair amount of the posters were saying that they thought it was a bad idea because of overpopulation.

OT: Typical, the same month I finally get 'round to passing my driving test...

I like this idea - at least it means that if someone pulls an emergency stop on the motorway you're not wasting precious moments waiting for your brain to catch up before slamming on the brakes: same for the people behind you.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
This has always seemed like a really stupid idea to me for one simple reason that I have yet to hear anyone address: if one of these cars gets in an accident, who's at fault?

Seriously, in a world filled with autonomous cars who's legally responsible for a collision? The driver? The manufacturer?

Maybe someone else has heard this question answered in some form, but I sure haven't.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
This is a really good example of a favorite saying of mine. "They're reaching for the clouds with their asses stuck in the mud." It's a simple fact that even if this technology was relatively simply to install and the systems that regulate it were cheap too maintain, it'd still be a burden too heavy to bear on stretched budgets among state governments. The stark reality is that states barely have the money too maintain the traffic systems they -have- let alone entirely new ones, so unless the Federal Government will be backing this 100% forever, which it definitely won't, it has no chance.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
watch dogs just became that much more real.....

dragongit said:
This sounds incredibly expensive. and cars will require it? What about the millions of cars in circulation now that don't have this system? Will they be required to install it? will it be a direct cost to the people, or will we be given a new tax for it? Either way it sounds sketchy.
only new cars will be required to come with it preinstalled. and its not THAT expensive, not expensive at all compared to price of a new car.

amaranth_dru said:
Oh hell no. I mean that in the most possible dire way. The potential for abuse is stunning and Government security against hacking? Give me a fucking break. Nevermind the 4th amendment violation potential for this. All in all good intent doesn't make good policy. Bad idea in the worst way possible.
"The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights that prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures and requires any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause."
Erm, how exactly this violates 4th amendment?

Hairless Mammoth said:
They need to make ABS mandatory first, then the preventative automatic braking next, then this.
wait, there still are car manufacturers making cars without ABS? all new cars ive seen have it standard just like power steering with exception being cars made intentionally to be primrely racetrack cars.
It might come out as standard on more expensive cars and commercial vehicles first, as an option on other cars, then made mandatory on everything later in a sequential order. Most safety features start as options and become standard as they are proven in real world situations. They need to test this out first before making consumers/taxpayers carry the cost of it.
the article claism that it HAS BEEN thoroughly tested. and it works.

teknoarcanist said:
Self-driving cars are still 10+ years away.
unless you look at google. http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity/2012/08/15/googles-self-driving-car-passes-300000-miles/
FalloutJack said:

as a person who use the "dsitance monitor" that beeps once the front or back gets too close to another object (a godsend for parking in tight spaces since it actually shows the distance) i disagree about peopel freaking out about beeping. it may be true the first time, but once you get used to it you can determine the distance jut by beeping intensity without having to even look at it, its a helper not a hindrance.

Dimitriov said:
This has always seemed like a really stupid idea to me for one simple reason that I have yet to hear anyone address: if one of these cars gets in an accident, who's at fault?

Seriously, in a world filled with autonomous cars who's legally responsible for a collision? The driver? The manufacturer?

Maybe someone else has heard this question answered in some form, but I sure haven't.
if one of cars now get into an accident, who is at fault? same answer is applied with cars that can beep about other cars too. this us not autonomous cars, merely signals that tell you your about to crash so better break.

Tradjus said:
This is a really good example of a favorite saying of mine. "They're reaching for the clouds with their asses stuck in the mud." It's a simple fact that even if this technology was relatively simply to install and the systems that regulate it were cheap too maintain, it'd still be a burden too heavy to bear on stretched budgets among state governments. The stark reality is that states barely have the money too maintain the traffic systems they -have- let alone entirely new ones, so unless the Federal Government will be backing this 100% forever, which it definitely won't, it has no chance.
why would this need monetary backing? it will be up to manufacturers to install such systems and up to car owners to use them.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
The intention is the cars are supposed to communicate, not control. Why is everyone freaking out? Have you ever put your credit card information on the computer?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Strazdas said:
dragongit said:
This sounds incredibly expensive. and cars will require it? What about the millions of cars in circulation now that don't have this system? Will they be required to install it? will it be a direct cost to the people, or will we be given a new tax for it? Either way it sounds sketchy.
only new cars will be required to come with it preinstalled. and its not THAT expensive, not expensive at all compared to price of a new car.
If I understand correctly, most new cars actually have very similar systems. And yeah, the point of it is that it's legislation. States will have to pay for it in the same way they have to pay for seatbelts or airbags (i.e. they won't.)

Mindless said:
Stop with all these unnecessary driver aid.
Let people that like to drive drive and if you don´t like cars and the possible dangers of driving one take the train,Subway walk whatever but stop nannying car manufacturers.Look at Europe we haven´t all died from driving our unsafe cars for decades(I am serious some of the U.S car safety is just rubbish and ruin cars looks)
Yeah, because I'm sure all those people who are dangerous drivers will just stop driving if we ask them nicely enough. And yes, you are dying from driving unsafe cars; Europe's road traffic fatality rate is only about 60% that of the US.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I came in here to ask about the logistics of putting this system into every old car on the road, and then... oh, new cars. So this affects no one I know. Very few cars around here newer than 1974 anyway.
Blue_vision said:
Mindless said:
Stop with all these unnecessary driver aid.
Let people that like to drive drive and if you don´t like cars and the possible dangers of driving one take the train,Subway walk whatever but stop nannying car manufacturers.Look at Europe we haven´t all died from driving our unsafe cars for decades(I am serious some of the U.S car safety is just rubbish and ruin cars looks)
Yeah, because I'm sure all those people who are dangerous drivers will just stop driving if we ask them nicely enough. And yes, you are dying from driving unsafe cars; Europe's road traffic fatality rate is only about 60% that of the US.
...that's not the cars' fault, it's the drivers'. Having lived in Europe, I can most certainly attest to this one. The US needs better driver education and harder to acquire licenses... instead we hand out a C-class to anyone who can remember to follow a few rules for an hour of their life. The Germans have a more complicated test for their 50cc moped license, nevermind the classes people need for an actual car license. We don't need to regulate for safer cars, we need to regulate for safer drivers. Don't ask, dictate.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
loc978 said:
...that's not the cars' fault, it's the drivers'. Having lived in Europe, I can most certainly attest to this one. The US needs better driver education and harder to acquire licenses... instead we hand out a C-class to anyone who can remember to follow a few rules for an hour of their life. The Germans have a more complicated test for their 50cc moped license, nevermind the classes people need for an actual car license. We don't need to regulate for safer cars, we need to regulate for safer drivers. Don't ask, dictate.
But when you live in a country where most cities do not have adequate transit systems to move their people, I think it is reasonable to (at least for the medium-term while America gets its public transit systems together) legislate in a system which literally has almost zero downsides. And while I don't think it's true that Europeans have particularly more stringent driving standards, it's definitely true that European cities and towns are much, much better equipped to handle people without cars than American cities or towns are. And if you need people to use cars for your economy to function, what's the issue with trying to make sure those cars are safer? Heck, what's the issue with trying to make sure cars are safer in general?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Mindless said:
But europe have 200 million more inhabitans than the U.S and western europe have more cars per head than the yanks.
But iam not say we should ask them nicely just make driving test more difficult(Or make roads with bends so the yanks will know how to turn/sarcasm)
Because I totally didn't account for any of those factors when I said "Europe's road traffic fatality rate is only about 60% that of the US". And a good rule of thumb is that people are stupid; bad drivers will figure out how to pass driving tests. Drivers who have passed their tests may develop bad habits; there's a myriad reasons why it's unrealistic to expect us to have good drivers on our roads. Europe may have lower fatality rate, but even if Europe had 1/10 the rate that the US did, that's still a lot of people dying from road traffic accidents (meaning a lot of stupid people or bad drivers.) What's the harm of making sure cars have systems that make people safer?