USB Drive Support Coming to Xbox 360

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
I feel sorry for you Xbox folks... A mad console, but M$ monopolises everything about it whenever they had a chance. I can't believe they'd be so cheap as to make you use their own proprietary hard-drives...

DarkLight523

Dec 1, 2009
My roommate was all excited about this until I said, "Yeah, but I've been doing that on my PS3 ever since I first got it."

My roommate~ "No memory cards?"

Myself~ "No memory cards."

With two sentences, I totally rained on her parade... I feel kinda bad, but Microsoft shouldn't have thrown that parade for her in the first place.

Shame on you Microsoft. *shakes finger sarcastically*

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
Well I have a 120 GB Xbox HDD, so I probably won't use this function. However, I wish to give everyone who were using a memory card or a small HDD an official congratulation along with an internet hive five.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Ummm, why you are celebrating getting 32gb of extra storage?

Do you not know that exactly the same USB slots running exactly the same firmware on the PC have been accepting 2000gb external storage for quite some time and yours could have done that from 2006 onwards too if MS hadn't taken steps specifically to make sure that you can't?

Myoukochou

Black Butterfly
Apr 1, 2009
Why?

Because the Xbox 360 slim board currently in (early?) production doesn?t have any old memory card connectors, just USB. That?s why. Makes sense if they?re trying to reduce the form factor to take away the biggest sockets on the thing.

Unfortunately I also can?t see any onboard wireless, but maybe that?s just not been added yet. Internal hard drive probably. CPU/GPU integration and a sane (quieter? cooler?) heatsink. HDMI still in a slightly awkward position. Early looks mind you: no idea what the case is like, and it could all change.

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
I wonder, will I be able to but my Mass Effect 1 data from my 360 to my PC and use it? I played Mass Effect 1 on the 360, but I got Mass Effect 2 from the PC. I really want to use my story then they pre made one that's completely different from the one they gave me on ME2.

W00ty32

Jun 24, 2009
God, the 360 is hilarious. 16 GB max? God, that's arbitrary.

Enjoy the technology that the PS3 had when it came out, and the PC had when USB drives were invented.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Good to know that MS will officially support this feature. I was just about to invest in a memory card for the 360 when I can do it a hell of a lot cheaper through a flash drive. One 512 MB memory card is $25 at gamestop, and I can get two 8 GB flash drives for that much.

Primee133

Sep 30, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
IckleMissMayhem said:
'Bout bloody time!!! This'll make it much, much easier to transfer saved games etc between systems. Good news, methinks!
No kidding.
I can't believe it didn't already have this feature.
What the hell is the usb slot for?
Wired controllers, wi-fi connectors, charger cords, transfer cables, keyboards, microphones, and other things. USB flash drives works on there too, just that you couldn't put profiles or saved games on there. That's what this update's for.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Asehujiko said:

Do you not know that exactly the same USB slots running exactly the same firmware on the PC have been accepting 2000gb external storage for quite some time and yours could have done that from 2006 onwards too if MS hadn't taken steps specifically to make sure that you can't?
Yeah... why wouldn't we celebrate it? We get more storage for our stuff. I don't remember Microsoft ever saying outright it was alright to use other storage options, however I do remember them saying something about banning consoles with foreign hard drives or something to that effect.

The comparison to a computer doesn't matter much, because it isn't a computer. It is an XBox 360. I suppose if people were that worried about having 2000gb of external storage, they would buy a PC.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
yeah I've been using my 1TB external drive (which I keep most of my media on anyways) to plug into the xbox for watching movies and music for the past year(which is when I bought it) the cool thing is the save games though, and I'm glad I didn't go out and get that stupid memory card because I did think about it. It's good to see they're giving us something after that game room(which is a total scam, to think I was kinda looking forward to it) I hope that thing crashes and burns

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Well it is about damn time they did this.

Now open up Ipod support and you will be all set

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Wait... really, Even the fuking wii has been able to do this from release on usb and even sd cards. And all my ps3 videos downloaded movies and backup saves have been on my external making the hard drive 380gb from release....

How is this a feature, i would be embarrassed to announce this...

tyranuus

Jan 16, 2010
Finally. Lost a load of saves at one point because I had to swap HDD, and had a USB stick but wasn't able to use it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
USB hard drives "may" work, according to the Major, but they'll still be limited to 16 GB of storage and won't perform nearly as well. "Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive," he wrote. "It's just going to give you a MUCH better experience."
Why in sweet jebus does Microsoft have to make this needlessly complicated? PS3 allows backup of data to any USB data drive with ease. I mean 16GB flash sticks are PRETTY EXPENSIVE but almost everyone has an External USB hard Drive for extra files.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
chronobreak said:
Asehujiko said:

Yeah... why wouldn't we celebrate it? We get more storage for our stuff. I don't remember Microsoft ever saying outright it was alright to use other storage options, however I do remember them saying something about banning consoles with foreign hard drives or something to that effect.

The comparison to a computer doesn't matter much, because it isn't a computer. It is an XBox 360. I suppose if people were that worried about having 2000gb of external storage, they would buy a PC.
Not just a PC, a PS3 or Wii have both always had data-backup facilities using 3rd party storage.

Again, this is not some special console thing, only Microsoft with their special console has up till now refused you any sort of external third-arty data-backup facility. And now Microsoft has imparted this ridiculous 2x 16GB limit and being cagey about support of External Hard Disks... WHY!??! Why say yes to flash but no to HDD when the data is stored on the xbox 360 USING A HARD DISK DRIVE!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
why are so many people slamming this? this is good! ffs no pleasing some people "ooooo 16 GB USB sticks cost to much bla bla bla"

1. you DON'T have to buy 16GB USB sticks, that is just the limit.

2. ok then, go and buy another HDD drive for the 360, trust me it costs alot more.

seriously people grow up and praise it! its about time this happened, yet you still the get people blasting it =S seriously no need.