USB Ports Losing Power

WongKy

Nov 7, 2012
For the last 2 weeks, My USB ports keep losing power. There is still lights and everything on the things I plugged in like the mouse but everything that is plugged into the USB ports does not responds. I have disabled the USB selective suspend option, but that isn't the cause.
The only way i found to fix this problem is to reboot the computer.
BTW i had my connection port replaced after a lightning strike fried my modem/router.

Any Ideas what causing this?
My knowledge of computers is extremely limited, so please explain anything in simple terms.
Thank you if you read through everything.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Which ports? Is it the ones at the rear of the Motherboard or the ones at the front. It's just that the two are powered and controlled from different areas of the motherboard.

The issues you are suffering sound very much like the troubles I had with my old Maximus 3 motherboard. Working away and suddenly keyboard and mouse function would stop, looked very much like a hard lock up and would be fixed with a system reset. Some messing around proved that it was actually the mouse and keyboard losing power and not the computer locking up, I tried everything, swapping the keyboard and mouse as I thought these were at fault at first, reinstalls of the drivers, tweaking the various power settings and towards the end I started getting BSOD it was then that the problem worked out to be terminal the motherboard USB controller was failing. Switching the keyboard and mouse from the rear USB ports to the front ones worked as a quick fix but the motherboard was reaching five years old by this time so a replacement was the best way to go.

WongKy

Nov 7, 2012
Laughing Man said:
Which ports? Is it the ones at the rear of the Motherboard or the ones at the front. It's just that the two are powered and controlled from different areas of the motherboard.

The issues you are suffering sound very much like the troubles I had with my old Maximus 3 motherboard. Working away and suddenly keyboard and mouse function would stop, looked very much like a hard lock up and would be fixed with a system reset. Some messing around proved that it was actually the mouse and keyboard losing power and not the computer locking up, I tried everything, swapping the keyboard and mouse as I thought these were at fault at first, reinstalls of the drivers, tweaking the various power settings and towards the end I started getting BSOD it was then that the problem worked out to be terminal the motherboard USB controller was failing. Switching the keyboard and mouse from the rear USB ports to the front ones worked as a quick fix but the motherboard was reaching five years old by this time so a replacement was the best way to go.
Everyone one of the USB ports, my keyboard still works because is it connected to the circular thingy that is used by old computers.
Now the Mouse is laggy, it would die every few hours for 1 second then become functional again.

Thanks for the reply