Use of the word straight. Just as offensive?

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
As an experimental homosexual, I think that the use of the word straight is not offensive. I do agree with many of the opinions that the use of the word Gay in the place of incorrect, wrong, bad, or fail, is quite offensive

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Funny thing came to my mind. There's a phrase in the Russian language which means "properly, the way it's supposed to be, in an adequate, appropriate, civilised manner". The phrase can be literally translated as "the way white people do/are". Funny, isn't it?:)

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
I think the entire idea of words being offensive is ridiculous.

What's offensive is the spirit behind the word. No matter what word the invisible PC committee declares to be the "correct" one, that word will eventually become the offensive word because of the manner in which people use it.

Look at the word "retarded." That was originally a euphemism. That was the "nice" word intended to replace the "bad" words. Now it has become the bad word and people want to dream up new (and longer) words to replace it.

It's all one big pointless cycle and I'm tired of keeping up with it just to temporarily placate whiney people.

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
It's a word. Anyone who finds it offensive takes themselves to seriously, or needs to ignore stupid people.

shippuudenfreak

Feb 12, 2009
I don't think so. I mean you have to be aware of others feelings. You have to be careful about what you say where you say it, how you say it. So in the context it is used it can be bad or good

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Noooo enough of this pc crap Gay/straight are sexualities nothing more about them just as black/white/asian are colours I will not call you caucasian or african anerican in conversation it just sounds stupid and overly long. There is no meaning to these words outside that if you are happy with yourself and who you are who cares what some arsehole labels you get over it.

Shaenightbird

Apr 7, 2008
Any word can be used offensively if there's the intent to offend, or degrade someone behind it.

Words that are considered common vernacular, such as "gay" or "straight" are merely convenient verbal placekeepers for concepts that take a bit of explanation otherwise.

Instead of saying; "I'm a person who doesn't smoke, drink, use drugs recreationally, view members of my own gender as potential mating partners, eat meat or wear leather shoes", I would simply say "I'm straight." It wouldn't be an insult.
Saves time, ya know?

Although you would never hear me saying I was straight, because some of the aforementioned do not apply to me.

I'll leave you to guess which ones. Be creative. :>

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Think of it this way, using the word "gay" to describe something other than homosexuals is not offensive, like is somebody were to say "Oh, thats gay" as in to say, it wasn't very good, it wouldn't be offensive, before gay meant homosexual it was a word used to describe happiness.

"We're having a gay time" (Good time)

Society and the words it finds socially acceptable change a lot, we should just get over it.

VashtaNerada

Jul 23, 2008
Someone called me gay before...so I decided to call him straight, but as an insult, he got offended called me some other words(as i laughed quietly to myself) and he didnt catch on to what happened. So yes, it can be just as offensive

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Renamedsin said:
bkd69 said:
The problem I've always had with 'gay'=='bad' is that it's a trademark dilution. For example, if you say Guns 'n' Roses' music is gay, just because it sucks, what then would you call the music of, say, Erasure, or, Bronski Beat?

But as the only straight in the forum, I assure I'm not in the least offended by your use of it.
dude, Guns N' roses pwn! paradise city long live
Chinese democacy... the most confusing album ever recorded. I cannot decide if I like it or not.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
You know, I remember the cartoon the Flinstones.

This show was from back when gay just meant 'happy'.

Simpler times.

meandtheminibar

Aug 21, 2009
cball11 said:
Evilbunny said:
cball11 said:
I wouldn't even say the word "gay" is offensive. It's a lifestyle choice with a title, get over it.
That's not what I meant. I meant using it to describe something bad or weird. Surely you agree that is offensive.
Not necessarily. If I say "That Japanese guy from Star Trek is gay" It is perfectly obvious what I mean. If I say "Dude, Star Trek is totally gay" it is also perfectly obvious that I don't mean the show is homosexual and wants to sodomize Battlstar Galactica. Same word, 2 completely different meanings. I can dig it, it isn't that complicated.
Absolutely. Using an entire group of struggling people to describe anything generally horrible isn't offensive at all. And anyone who thinks otherwise should just Jew-off and stop being so goddamn black about it.

You should be sterilized.....

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Use whatever word you want. If someone doesn't like it they're gonna let you know. Probably.
Symp4thy said:
Queen's music is gay. I kid.
But it is. The singer was gay and the songs basically praise homosexuality.