Used Games and Why they sell...

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
NightHawk21 said:
Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?
For some reason, I have thought about this a couple of times today and find this quote interesting. I don't have a problem with this policy it nor anyone who uses this work around. Do what you do, it is what it is.

However, I find it funny that people also use this argument against piracy as to "What is to stop someone from just downloading all their games for free?" There are two strikingly parallel judgements here. What is to stop everyone from using Wikipedia and not contributing once a year to keep the site active and free? The thing is honestly, most people do what they can to support what they love. Kind of interesting how society actually believes that the general public are out to screw over businesses.

NightHawk, I don't mean this as an attack against you, honestly. It's just this question for some reason stuck with me today. I am sure you spend plenty of money on games, good luck with your endeavors. We do what we can with what we got. My ass would forget to return it, I know me.

It is just really interesting how some people are the quick to point out how customer service is a threat to the industry. Heh, that just sounds funny. I know they are mentioning piracy but one could argue this is similar. An anti-piracy person would be all over NightHawk for thinking of doing that. However, they might be torn because if they believe the industry about piracy harming the industry they probably also believe the industry when they say Gamestop's used games are hurting the industry. Customer Service is hurting the industry! Haha. I dunno, I thought it was a funny parallel. Figured I would share.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
Dorano said:
amaranth_dru said:
1.Used games sell better (at Gamestop at least) because it gives a customer a chance to say "I made a bad decision, I don't like this" and return it after playing it for a full refund.
2. Who can tell the difference at Gamestop, where EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS.
1. While customers can return a used game within a week if they don't like it after playing it for full credit towards a different game it's not the same as getting a full refund, which is against Gamestop/EB games store Policy.
2. Employees are under no circumstances allowed to take home a new (or even used) copy to play unless they pay for it. If you don't you're fired on the spot. Whoever you know who's doing this is breaking the rules pretty severely.

Like as most people have mentioned, people buy used because it's cheaper. It's why I buy them used. I don't have tons of money lying around.
1. (From the Back of My Gamestop Reciept): "Used (pre-owned) merchandise and opened new accessories may be returned for a full refund within 7 days of purchase or exchanged for the identical item within 30 days of purchase."

2. I can only go by the snippets of conversation I hear from the local employees, and the one or two friends who worked at the local store who told me they allowed employees to do so prior to games releasing (and after release). So yes its hearsay but hearing it from different sources tells me that somethings going on there.
They can check out 1 or 2 used games according to company policy last year. This is why Gamestop was under Federal Trade commission investigation last year. It was all over the internet. But it had to do with check outs being mixed with new merchandise and basically selling used copies as new.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Savagezion said:
NightHawk21 said:
Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?
For some reason, I have thought about this a couple of times today and find this quote interesting. I don't have a problem with this policy it nor anyone who uses this work around. Do what you do, it is what it is.

However, I find it funny that people also use this argument against piracy as to "What is to stop someone from just downloading all their games for free?" There are two strikingly parallel judgements here. What is to stop everyone from using Wikipedia and not contributing once a year to keep the site active and free? The thing is honestly, most people do what they can to support what they love. Kind of interesting how society actually believes that the general public are out to screw over businesses.

NightHawk, I don't mean this as an attack against you, honestly. It's just this question for some reason stuck with me today. I am sure you spend plenty of money on games, good luck with your endeavors. We do what we can with what we got. My ass would forget to return it, I know me.

It is just really interesting how some people are the quick to point out how customer service is a threat to the industry. Heh, that just sounds funny. I know they are mentioning piracy but one could argue this is similar. An anti-piracy person would be all over NightHawk for thinking of doing that. However, they might be torn because if they believe the industry about piracy harming the industry they probably also believe the industry when they say Gamestop's used games are hurting the industry. Customer Service is hurting the industry! Haha. I dunno, I thought it was a funny parallel. Figured I would share.
That's an interesting take and in a lot of regards doing what I mentioned is like piracy. Still I think you're right about people and we do support what we love, and like to hold on to it. Still I just love finding like exploit or loop-holes or what not. :)