Used Games and Why they sell...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Deshara said:
TestECull said:
I use GTA IV with a crack because I don't like SecuROM and don't want it on my machine. I bought a legit copy, brand new no less. How in seven fucks am I stealing from Rockstar if I'm cracking a copy I already paid them for?

By that logic modding games is also stealing, because lol DLC.

And I'm sure somebody's refunded a store for the stolen merchandise after robbing it at gunpoint, but that doesn't mean all robbers leave payment.
Nope, because robbery isn't legal. Cracking your games to have obtrusive DRM removed however, actually is legal. Its a defence that's worked in court.

Dorano

Aug 29, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
1.Used games sell better (at Gamestop at least) because it gives a customer a chance to say "I made a bad decision, I don't like this" and return it after playing it for a full refund.
2. Who can tell the difference at Gamestop, where EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS.
1. While customers can return a used game within a week if they don't like it after playing it for full credit towards a different game it's not the same as getting a full refund, which is against Gamestop/EB games store Policy.
2. Employees are under no circumstances allowed to take home a new (or even used) copy to play unless they pay for it. If you don't you're fired on the spot. Whoever you know who's doing this is breaking the rules pretty severely.

Like as most people have mentioned, people buy used because it's cheaper. It's why I buy them used. I don't have tons of money lying around.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
See the thing is, without the Online Passes (if that were to happen) and the return new games policy redacted, there wouldn't be used games going on the shelf when new games are returned.
You don't see retail clothing outlets putting returned clothes on the used shelves, nor do you see walmart putting canned foods that are returned on the used racks (since there are none).
As far as I know returned clothes are sold at a discounted price, at least in the few shops I know of like Matalan, Peacocks, Primark etc. They aren't sold as pre-owned but as 'returned for resale' or damged goods. A supermarkets equivalent would be bargain shelves, usually for items that have been damaged or are unfit for sale being sold at heavily discounted prices. The buyer goes into these deals aware that the item has been returned to the shop or is damaged.

Videogames don't really get such a luxury, because they all work the same way. The price difference between new and used is rather artificial. A used copy should be just as functional as a new copy, the price difference comes from scuffs on a box or a missing manual. The product (the software on the disc) is the same on all accounts, whether used or new.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
amaranth_dru said:
See the thing is, without the Online Passes (if that were to happen) and the return new games policy redacted, there wouldn't be used games going on the shelf when new games are returned.
You don't see retail clothing outlets putting returned clothes on the used shelves, nor do you see walmart putting canned foods that are returned on the used racks (since there are none).
As far as I know returned clothes are sold at a discounted price, at least in the few shops I know of like Matalan, Peacocks, Primark etc. They aren't sold as pre-owned but as 'returned for resale' or damged goods. A supermarkets equivalent would be bargain shelves, usually for items that have been damaged or are unfit for sale being sold at heavily discounted prices. The buyer goes into these deals aware that the item has been returned to the shop or is damaged.

Videogames don't really get such a luxury, because they all work the same way. The price difference between new and used is rather artificial. A used copy should be just as functional as a new copy, the price difference comes from scuffs on a box or a missing manual. The product (the software on the disc) is the same on all accounts, whether used or new.
And even if the disk was somehow damaged, the store I buy used games from (Not American, so no gamestop here) offers a 3 month warranty. So, if the disk doesn't work or breaks down, you'll get a full refund.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
TestECull said:
Here's why used games sell. Some gamers can't afford $50-60 for new games. These games still want to play those games. They also have scruples so they don't pirate it. Used games allow them to game without breaking the law and without having to spend a small fortune on a game that might suck.
Glad someone said it. I don't buy used games to make a stand, to demo a game (that's just ridiculous, think I'm going to pay £20 to demo a game, then pay another £40 to buy the new version) or to take it to the industry. Neither will most. People that buy used games do it for a very simple reason... Its cheaper. Its not for "it gives them a chance to say I don't like this game, I can take it back" its because, new game £40, used game £5-£35.

Some people just don't have the money to buy the game new and just don't see a real reason why they should. They don't know or care about the industry, they just want to play their games.

The only reason I'll pay the extra for a new game is if the game had impressed me enough prior to release for me to want to purchase it around release day rather than waiting for it to go pre-owned.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Savagezion said:
NightHawk21 said:
Does your gamestop really do that? Is it a new policy, cause I'm pretty sure mine didn't when I still bought stuff there? Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?
Nothing. It's just a technique of sales rapport and impulse. Many stores just need a reason to bring your butt into the store and they know you will spend money. How many times have you went to Wal-Mart for AV cables and end up spending $30-40 on a bunch of other crap too? Gamestop isn't worried about it I guarantee. The used merchandise moves itself and when it slows they have buy 2 get one free sales and then it does again.
Actually never, I'm pretty good at not impulse buying lol, but I've worked at a Costco over the summer and I'd see people at the cash look at their total in the hundreds, turn to their spouse and say "We only came in for milk." Made me laugh every time

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
A point to bring up in the used vs. new

TL;DR:Back to my original point. Used games sell better (at Gamestop at least) because it gives a customer a chance to say "I made a bad decision, I don't like this" and return it after playing it for a full refund. If NEW Games were also allowed to do this, there might be a spike in new game sales (and a drop in used game trade-ins). Why do I post this theory? Because then people can get a chance to see if they like the game they spent $60 on. This would also eliminate the need for Online Codes as returns can be repackaged as new games (who can tell the difference at Gamestop, where EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS. So... what do you think?
Kk... EB Games in Australia. You have 7 days to return ANY GAME purchase (new or used) if you do not like it. I believe new games will only give you store credit and not cash refund... BUT ... most people who buy one game will eventually buy another, so you really aren't losing out at all.

Brilliant concept. I do not buy any new releases from anywhere else. I buy older games on steam and tend not to buy used just because i like my shinies.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Honestly I'm not bothered by used games because with the way the games industry has been treating it's actual customers these days. They've done everything but proven tactics to sell games better, (lower competitive prices, have a demo, have digital copies cheaper than physical, DRM is the devil, stop with crap over priced DLC)

Basically I get the serial number and other things being hard to get around but you could just send companies packages to go with said game when customers buy it new they get it, OR people can buy said packages. Gasp, decent ideas?

But that would cost extra money, if only there was a way to compromise...oh yeah they already did with shitty try harder manuals and crappy ecoboxes that break discs. Seriously fuck the companies already, they've been punishing people for buying their games enough already and bitching about used games and pirates making them lose jobs. Meanwhile despite used/piracy they make millions upon millions of dollars profit over what they spent.

If they were really hurting they'd try REAL tactics like selling games for cheaper when they're not worth 60 to begin with. 4-5 hour game? Make it 30 bucks like Sonic Generations was. But they're making a killing regardless with their 60(or 120 where you come from) dollar price tag, piracy and used games do not stop them from making insane amounts of cash.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
NightHawk21 said:
Does your gamestop really do that? Is it a new policy, cause I'm pretty sure mine didn't when I still bought stuff there? Shit what's to stop someone from taking the game beating it then trading it back in that window?
Gamestop has had this policy for a while now and there is nothing at all is stopping people from doing that. I've been doing that now for about a year with Xbox 360 games. Every Friday night after work I take my game for that week back to get a new game for the coming week. This week I returned Saints Row The Third to get Skyrim. I've been swapping the two out for each other for a month or so.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I buy used games for a few reasons:

- I get an extra 10% off of used games. At a minimum I can save $10 on a new release.
- I get points on that Power Up Rewards card and I have printed out a few "Save $10 on any used title" coupons.
- I can take a game back within 7 days with no penalty. I wouldn't abuse such a policy but it's a nice safety net if a game is really not for me and I am certain I will never want to play it again.
- When I don't want to give money to a developer because they do stupid, anti-consumer things like support SOPA.
- I would rather invest in a game store that carries a bigger selection of games than investing in a big box store that only has the 30 most popular games per platform. I can still buy Gamecube games at Gamestop, haven't seen a Gamecube game in a big box store in years.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dogstile said:
Nope, because robbery isn't legal. Cracking your games to have obtrusive DRM removed however, actually is legal. Its a defence that's worked in court.
Circumventing DRM is illegal under the WIPO treaty in any signatory country, including the US (DMCA codified it) which means being a proponent even violates Terms of Use here on the Escapist.

Just so you're aware.

And no, I'm not reporting anyone. Just saying.

Anyway, the topic at hand is ridiculous. Used games don't need a justification. Buying new is not a sin, and there is no single reason people buy used. It does demonstrate the power of propaganda, though. People have actually decided that they need to defend it on the industry's terms.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I do love the idea of a 7-day return policy for new games, but I. along with a lot of people would probably end up abusing it, in my experience, 7 days is normally more than enough time to finish a game, once I'd finished the game I'd just return it within the time limit get my money back get a new game

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Basically the solution is that all games should have demos that arrive before launch
(Not directly on topic, but following on:) And all PC games should, AT THE VERY LEAST, have a benchmark tool that's downloadable before the release. Basic stuff like that can help curb piracy figures and used game sales. And they should actively look at what difference lowering the price can make: Valve have said that when they lower the price on Steam the increased sales counter the 'lost' money.

Deshara said:
TestECull said:
I use GTA IV with a crack because I don't like SecuROM and don't want it on my machine. I bought a legit copy, brand new no less. How in seven fucks am I stealing from Rockstar if I'm cracking a copy I already paid them for?

By that logic modding games is also stealing, because lol DLC.

And I'm sure somebody's refunded a store for the stolen merchandise after robbing it at gunpoint, but that doesn't mean all robbers leave payment.
You're talking about pirating the game and then buying the full copy, he's talking about buying the full game and then downloading a cracked .exe. (I.e. The analogy doesn't work.)

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Oly J said:
I do love the idea of a 7-day return policy for new games, but I. along with a lot of people would probably end up abusing it, in my experience, 7 days is normally more than enough time to finish a game, once I'd finished the game I'd just return it within the time limit get my money back get a new game
A lot of people do abuse this at EB... my own housemates do. But. They really really don't seem to care, or to lose out on it at all.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Xanthious said:
NightHawk21 said:
Gamestop has had this policy for a while now and there is nothing at all is stopping people from doing that. I've been doing that now for about a year with Xbox 360 games. Every Friday night after work I take my game for that week back to get a new game for the coming week. This week I returned Saints Row The Third to get Skyrim. I've been swapping the two out for each other for a month or so.
These are American gamestops right? Do you know if Canadian ones do it too?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
NightHawk21 said:
Xanthious said:
NightHawk21 said:
Pretty sure it's a chain wide policy so I would assume it would be the same in Canada. You could probably find out online with a bit of searching but the easiest way would be to call up a few stores and ask what their return policies are for used games.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
dogstile said:
Circumventing DRM is illegal under the WIPO treaty in any signatory country, including the US (DMCA codified it) which means being a proponent even violates Terms of Use here on the Escapist.

Just so you're aware.

And no, I'm not reporting anyone. Just saying.

Anyway, the topic at hand is ridiculous. Used games don't need a justification. Buying new is not a sin, and there is no single reason people buy used. It does demonstrate the power of propaganda, though. People have actually decided that they need to defend it on the industry's terms.
You'll have to point out where man, i'm reading through it now and I can't see why cracking it for your own personal use is illegal. Hell, for as long as I can remember as long as you don't distribute a crack, its fine in a UK court (i'm not American, so its all i'll know it by).

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Xanthious said:
NightHawk21 said:
Xanthious said:
NightHawk21 said:
Pretty sure it's a chain wide policy so I would assume it would be the same in Canada. You could probably find out online with a bit of searching but the easiest way would be to call up a few stores and ask what their return policies are for used games.
Nice might have to go back to the store and check it out. Thanks.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dorano said:
amaranth_dru said:
1.Used games sell better (at Gamestop at least) because it gives a customer a chance to say "I made a bad decision, I don't like this" and return it after playing it for a full refund.
2. Who can tell the difference at Gamestop, where EMPLOYEES TAKE HOME NEW COPIES TO PLAY THAT EVENTUALLY GET SOLD AS NEW TO CUSTOMERS.
1. While customers can return a used game within a week if they don't like it after playing it for full credit towards a different game it's not the same as getting a full refund, which is against Gamestop/EB games store Policy.
2. Employees are under no circumstances allowed to take home a new (or even used) copy to play unless they pay for it. If you don't you're fired on the spot. Whoever you know who's doing this is breaking the rules pretty severely.

Like as most people have mentioned, people buy used because it's cheaper. It's why I buy them used. I don't have tons of money lying around.
1. (From the Back of My Gamestop Reciept): "Used (pre-owned) merchandise and opened new accessories may be returned for a full refund within 7 days of purchase or exchanged for the identical item within 30 days of purchase."

2. I can only go by the snippets of conversation I hear from the local employees, and the one or two friends who worked at the local store who told me they allowed employees to do so prior to games releasing (and after release). So yes its hearsay but hearing it from different sources tells me that somethings going on there.