Using long dead characters in the new smash bros

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Pluvia said:
Kyber said:
How is it a slur? It's short for Japanese, same way Gerry is short for German, Brit is short for Brittish, Swede is short for Swedish, and the list goes on. Most Japanese people I know don't take offense to that.
It's universally known as a racist statement.
Yes but I was asking for what reason? And how does it differ from the countless other names I listed above.

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
". You eat up that plumbers monotonous pipe hopping repeats, so Nintendo lives mostly off of that because they take no effort to come up with."

This is the most Ironic thing i've ever seen a nintendo fan say.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kyber said:
Yes but I was asking for what reason? And how does it differ from the countless other names I listed above.
The term has been used as racist slurs against the Japanese, especially in the US, over the turn of the 20th century. From the beginnings in which Asian immigrants, be they Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, etc, as unwanted parasites "invading" the US, with the Immigration Act of 1917 making things worse when it passed after overriding President Wilson's veto of the bill. The term was also used to describe Japanese during World War II especially, and was used in a lot of cartoon, television, and poster propaganda against the Japanese. To shorten it, the term "Jap" has a more historically negative connotation then calling a person from the US a Yank or calling a person from England a Brit.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Kyber said:
Pluvia said:
Kyber said:
How is it a slur? It's short for Japanese, same way Gerry is short for German, Brit is short for Brittish, Swede is short for Swedish, and the list goes on. Most Japanese people I know don't take offense to that.
To clarify it's primarily a racist statement in America. Because back in World War II it was used as a blanket term for all Japanese. We threw the Japanese into intern camps because we were afraid they were liable to defect and leak information. Paranoia at it's finest. Plus on the actual enemy front there was the "sudden" (there's some debate on whether or not there was warning) attack on Pearl Harbor. So during that entire era the Japanese were referred to as Japs and the implication was they are not to be trusted, possible traitors, and wanton killers. Often times in America the only people that use that phrase are the ones from around the WWII era. Where they still use that term negatively. As in "those damn Japs." It should be noted that Americans hated the Japanese MORE than the Germans during that time until after the German intern camps were found.

It's typically a topic in US history but not always. Of course if you're from anywhere else, it's not as much of slur but try not to say it around an American.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
VyseRogueKing said:
Kyber said:
Pluvia said:
Kyber said:
To clarify it's primarily a racist statement in America. Because back in World War II it was used as a blanket term for all Japanese. We threw the Japanese into intern camps because we were afraid they were liable to defect and leak information. Paranoia at it's finest. Plus on the actual enemy front there was the "sudden" (there's some debate on whether or not there was warning) attack on Pearl Harbor. So during that entire era the Japanese were referred to as Japs and the implication was they are not to be trusted, possible traitors, and wanton killers. Often times in America the only people that use that phrase are the ones from around the WWII era. Where they still use that term negatively. As in "those damn Japs." It should be noted that Americans hated the Japanese MORE than the Germans during that time until after the German intern camps were found.

It's typically a topic in US history but not always. Of course if you're from anywhere else, it's not as much of slur but try not to say it around an American.
Thanks for clarifying, I'm not from the states, I knew it was widely used in the second world war because of movies, but I didn't know it was considered a negative word which people took offense to.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The difference is that we didn't recently round-up the "Brits" or the "Yanks" and put them in internment camps just in case they might have been spies. Anyway, back on topic:
VyseRogueKing said:
It is a slur, a fairly big one, specifically because of America's WWII internment camps and us being terrified that happy perfectly normal citizens would suddenly defect the moment war started. When we used the word it basically meant they can't be trusted and are future traitors.
I'm sorry guys but you are both such typical Americans.

Just because Americans set up concentration camps, made a load of racist cartoons and comics, and then dropped an Atomic bomb on the poor devils. Doesn't mean I as a non American need to be overly worried about what I call the Japanese. So if we are bringing up history...

The Japs did horrendous things to British and Australian soldiers in Thailand, they forced our soldiers to build a railway for them, about a third died from over work and ill treatment. When they werent working they were being tortured and dehumanized in completely revolting ways. And I mean tortured they were mutilated and brutalized in some of the most painful, sexual and repulsive way I know of. I've visited Hellfire pass in Thailand and I can safely say I was sickened by what I learnt about there.

You can read about it here http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/ http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/the-enemy/treatment-of-prisoners.php
Its so shocking they have even made a film about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS_dYEwf2M

So while your ancestors were being rude to them in camps, mine were being tortured starved and humiliated by them. So if we are looking at it from a historical standpoint I have a right to call them pretty much anything I like.

However I actually love the Japanese and none of the Japanese I know mind the term in casual reference. My games library is mostly made up of Japanese games, I watch a lot of anime, read manga. And would say my life has benefited greatly from the influences of Japanese people. I don't hold anything a countries military or government does against the citizens, just because your government held them under suspicion and dropped atom bombs on them in the past doesn't mean they deserve special treatment from you. If you feel guilty for something your ancestors did to their ancestors that's your problem.

So as a British person who has been referred to as a Brit by Japanese people I reserve my right to abbreviate Japanese to Jap.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
MysticSlayer said:
and then Assault got reviled for...reasons.
The third person shooting sections, mother of god were they terrible. If the game simply hadn't had them it would have been much better.
While I did prefer the Arwing sections of the game, I never actually thought the on-foot sections were bad. They were fun to play (except on Hard), seemed like a natural progression of the Star Fox gameplay, and also avoided just rehashing Star Fox 64 and bringing the franchise into the state Mario and Zelda are in now. The problem is that whenever people bring up the on-foot sections, they just act like it is common knowledge that they were bad, or it basically boils down to "this is different than Star Fox 64." Well, I have heard people call it slow and a grind, but it often is just seems to be said because they aren't vehicle sections.

I can understand just wanting the vehicle sections, and even I would say that I would love another Star Fox game that gave us just those. However, I've never really understood how Assault is a bad game just for having those on-foot sections. They weren't the best the game had to offer, but they also weren't horribly designed either.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
3) Not only is Ike a fan-favourite in Smash Broke Brawl, but he is the only character in the Fire Emblem universe to have been the protagonist in two inter-connected titles within the entire series.
Actually, Marth has also done this. Marth is the lead protagonist of both the 1st and 3rd Fire Emblem games. Both games also received remakes for the DS, though only the remake of the 1st game was released worldwide. Depending on how you consider it, Marth has been the lead protagonist of 2-4 games (Fire Emblem is often considered a 13 game series due to people counting the 2 remakes, much like how Star Fox is referred to as a 6 game series).

As for the main post, I think it's a good thing that Nintendo characters lacking in current entries are playable in SSB. It keeps their presence alive and encourages fans to request new entries in the various series represented (still hoping on a new Ice Climbers game someday).

I also feel that SSB works as a celebration of all of Nintendo's IPs and series, and that whether they are getting new entries or not, as many Nintendo IPs from as wide a range of time should have playable spots (hence why some of my most wanted characters include the likes of Lip, Hikari & Donbe, Bubbles, and more).

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Here's the thing people don't get about sequels. The whole purpose of a fucking sequel is to "gasp" be like it's predecessor but better. When I play a game from a long established franchise, I expect it to play almost exactly like it's predecessors. If you want to "spice things up", use something called a new IP. Problem solved. Starfox should of followed starfox 64's success, instead of trying to make the fans like something different.

Same thing happened with Halo 4. They copied CoD and most of it's population dropped. People expect sequels to stay the same as their predecessors with very few changes. Appease your community and stop trying to go after the CoD money. Starfox like Halo, should of listened to the fanbase that gave them their success in the first place. If Nintendo doesn't like it, well I guess they don't want to pay their bills then.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
verdant monkai said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The difference is that we didn't recently round-up the "Brits" or the "Yanks" and put them in internment camps just in case they might have been spies. Anyway, back on topic:
VyseRogueKing said:
It is a slur, a fairly big one, specifically because of America's WWII internment camps and us being terrified that happy perfectly normal citizens would suddenly defect the moment war started. When we used the word it basically meant they can't be trusted and are future traitors.

Just because Americans set up concentration camps, made a load of racist cartoons and comics, and then dropped an Atomic bomb on the poor devils. Doesn't mean I as a non American need to be overly worried about what I call the Japanese. So if we are bringing up history...

The Japs did horrendous things to British and Australian soldiers in Thailand, they forced our soldiers to build a railway for them, about a third died from over work and ill treatment. When they werent working they were being tortured and dehumanized in completely revolting ways. And I mean tortured they were mutilated and brutalized in some of the most painful, sexual and repulsive way I know of. I've visited Hellfire pass in Thailand and I can safely say I was sickened by what I learnt about there.

You can read about it here http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/ http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov.au/the-enemy/treatment-of-prisoners.php
Its so shocking they have even made a film about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS_dYEwf2M

So while your ancestors were being rude to them in camps, mine were being tortured starved and humiliated by them. So if we are looking at it from a historical standpoint I have a right to call them pretty much anything I like.

However I actually love the Japanese and none of the Japanese I know mind the term in casual reference. My games library is mostly made up of Japanese games, I watch a lot of anime, read manga. And would say my life has benefited greatly from the influences of Japanese people. I don't hold anything a countries military or government does against the citizens, just because your government held them under suspicion and dropped atom bombs on them in the past doesn't mean they deserve special treatment from you. If you feel guilty for something your ancestors did to their ancestors that's your problem.

So as a British person who has been referred to as a Brit by Japanese people I reserve my right to abbreviate Japanese to Jap.
Just because I am ok with my one of my white friends calling me the n word does not mean that the use of it being a slur stops. Also just because a white person considers me to be their friend does not stop them from being hateful towars the group of people I belong to. Just because group A of a race does one thing does not mean that the rest of the people should be negatively hampered by it. If that were to be the case the British and Australians deserved the punishment.
Now I do not know you and don't want to come off as a hateful person but just stating a point.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
We also haven't had a new Metroid game since Corruption back in 07. It still wouldn't be Smash Bros. without Samus.
If only they hadn't cancelled that project with Team Ninja. I know they have weird gender-politics, but I'm sure they could produce a fun game.
*Sigh* If only.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
shemoanscazrex3 said:
Just because I am ok with my one of my white friends calling me the n word does not mean that the use of it being a slur stops. Also just because a white person considers me to be their friend does not stop them from being hateful towars the group of people I belong to. Just because group A of a race does one thing does not mean that the rest of the people should be negatively hampered by it. If that were to be the case the British and Australians deserved the punishment.
Now I do not know you and don't want to come off as a hateful person but just stating a point.
You have a chip on your shoulder, this has nothing to do with you being black. Why even bring it up.

The "n word" as you call it is nothing to do with nationality it is a racial thing, therefore its racist. Jap isnt a racial slur to most people its an abbreviation of a nationality.

I think you should bother to follow the links I posted before you say anything more about the British and Australians deserving what happened to them, in any circumstance. You haven't come of as hateful just ignorant.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
verdant monkai said:
I'm sorry but I did specify that it's primarily an American slur and said it may be less of one elsewhere. Culture and all that. I love Japan too. Most of western stuff just doesn't do it for me but that argument is always a fallacy. It's the typical "white guy defense" trying to avoid being called racist by saying you are ok with them. If this is the case you shouldn't bring it up. People will think you more of one. Not saying that's what you are doing but it's a dangerous argument. Just a side-note because of what happened in Thailand there may be a different racial slur from the British. Still not good though. We are stating our countries dark-side of history so need to come off saying we are affected by the past when we are simply stating what we know of our culture.

HOWEVER, can we stop the racial slur argument and return to the topic on hand? This is getting nowhere fast.

Souplex said:
We also haven't had a new Metroid game since Corruption back in 07. It still wouldn't be Smash Bros. without Samus.
If only they hadn't cancelled that project with Team Ninja. I know they have weird gender-politics, but I'm sure they could produce a fun game.
*Sigh* If only.
Eh. Maybe it would have sucked. For some strange reason I feel like we all dodged a bullet there. Hopefully Smash will a get us a new Metroid.

MasterPaz

Sep 9, 2013
I'd be willing to bet money that people whining about the word "jap" aren't even Japanese. Gotta love a bunch of whiners rushing to the defense of others over an abbreviation.

What's so bad about using dead characters in Smash Bros? I always found being able to play as old characters one of the big draws of the series.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
EDIT: Nope, changed my mind. Not worth getting angry over or involved in.

Please ignore.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
There's clearly no point to F-zero, such silly uninnovative mechanics like hovercars and walldriving that would seem totally out of place in any modern game like Mario Kart 8.

If you didn't know, one of the big features in MK8 is walldriving hovermodes and upside down segments basically straight out of F-zero mold.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
MasterPaz said:
I'd be willing to bet money that people whining about the word "jap" aren't even Japanese. Gotta love a bunch of whiners rushing to the defense of others over an abbreviation.

What's so bad about using dead characters in Smash Bros? I always found being able to play as old characters one of the big draws of the series.
But... but... We gotta find out whose more PC... And hear hear! You gotta show some love for your favorite characters somehow.
Seth Carter said:
There's clearly no point to F-zero, such silly uninnovative mechanics like hovercars and walldriving that would seem totally out of place in any modern game like Mario Kart 8.
I wouldn't say that there's no point. Just because there's anti-gravity segments in Mario Kart doesn't make it F-zero. It's just a cool track design effect not necessarily a game mechanic. F-Zero is based around super high speeds with your boost meter being tied to your health. Along with A LOT of road hazards including lack of guard rails in some areas and even if there's a respawn (which in the GP there isn't) you get a major set-back considering you don't go from 60km/h to 0 rather 1000km/h to 0. A lot of the games fun comes from being able to control that speed while going breakneck into turns.

The problem is that F-Zero is kind of niche because of the difficulty of it. The first time you play you're probably gonna end up hugging the wall more than a sloth and his tree.