Valiant Hearts: The Great War Review - Hague Conventional

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Valiant Hearts: The Great War Review - Hague Conventional

An unassuming adventure game that nonetheless showcases the horror of war like no other.

Read Full Article

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Hey, nice review Jimothy.
I was was on the fence about this one, I must say that the walking dead left me a bit cold about the gameplay, and this might be similar in that way, but I think I'll give it a go.

one thing, I don't think it's a typo, but the grammar didn't make much sense in your bottom line, maybe i'm reading it wrong?

"Despite taking shape as a rather unambitious adventure game, Valiant Hearts: The Great War nonetheless tells a beautiful story of loss and companionship that with overwhelmingly evocative success."

Anyhow, thanks, most people seem to be forgetting about things coming out around this time.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
World War 1 is really underdone in the games industry. This proves as one of the few examples currently made that it can be done <_<.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
'Hell, you just wouldn't expect it from Ubisoft, huh?'

Well, if this is a success... yearly franchise releases! That'll bring you back to Ubisoft.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Delcast said:
one thing, I don't think it's a typo, but the grammar didn't make much sense in your bottom line, maybe i'm reading it wrong?

"Despite taking shape as a rather unambitious adventure game, Valiant Hearts: The Great War nonetheless tells a beautiful story of loss and companionship that with overwhelmingly evocative success."
Had to read it a couple of times to notice but yep, there is indeed an error.

I don't typically go for adventures games as I don't generally like the way puzzles are handled, but those described in this review actually sound pretty interesting despite Jim's calling them dull. Seems much more organic than the typical item hunting stuff you usually have to deal with.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Having seen some videos of this, I think it's a pretty nice little game that tells an interesting story and I'd agree with Jim's assesment.

I think it'd actually be brilliant as an educational game and in general not a bad buy for someone that's interested in learning a bit about the western front in WWI. From what I've heard, in the US this seems to be a period schools don't teach in much detail, weird.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Does anyone know how long the game is? I already bought it, and fully intend to enjoy the ride regardless, but I want to know if I can just knock it out in one evening, or if it'll take me a few days to get through it.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
The extra-depressing aspect of WWI was that it was just completely pointless. The "enemy" was not the epitome of evil like the Nazis. Basically, most of Europe just got together and said, "These youths sure are lazy. Well, nothing builds character like a good war. It'll create the next generation of leaders, and we'll be home by Christmas!" And then people just died in meat-grinder for several years and no one knew how to turn it off. Also, the US got involved for no real reason either.

So, yeah, not great stuff for a man-shoot. Either you just step out of a trench and die or, even worse, get to man the machine gun and just mow people down.

However, I am looking forward to playing Valiant Hearts.