ValiDate, a Dating Sim

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So an upcoming dating sim came to my attention by the name of ValiDate and uh...

This only came to my attention because someone has posted the datable characters in the game though.

ValiDate.jpg

I just don't understand these "bios". Is this something that you see in online dating or something? All but one of the designs seem ok but these "character" blips are cringe inducing. Maybe things are different for dating sims, I partake of romance visual novels, but I don't get who this is supposed to be for. I feel like the kinds of people that would be attracted to "Bitches love drama in the workplace until it involves them" aren't the people that would play a dating sim. Any thoughts on this?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wow this is just......wow. Nothing will do better to show why we need more LBGTQ+ characters in video games, then to make an LBGTQ+ game where every single one of them is a shitty person.

This is gonna go well.

"F**k white people"?

"Come get this Bussy?"

Is this suppose to be satire? It's gotta be some sort of satire.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Odin

Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Stretch goals (note number 4):

Looks painfully, near-parody level, "woke". If that floats your boat then fair enough, but I can't imagine this will have a large audience.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So an upcoming dating sim came to my attention by the name of ValiDate and uh...

This only came to my attention because someone has posted the datable characters in the game though.

View attachment 390

I just don't understand these "bios". Is this something that you see in online dating or something? All but one of the designs seem ok but these "character" blips are cringe inducing. Maybe things are different for dating sims, I partake of romance visual novels, but I don't get who this is supposed to be for. I feel like the kinds of people that would be attracted to "Bitches love drama in the workplace until it involves them" aren't the people that would play a dating sim. Any thoughts on this?
This whole game seems cringe-inducingly juvenile and racist. The developer also needs a better proof reader.

With bios like: "[Oh] god **** white people", racists maybe?
But I suppose you don't have to date the racist.
Aside from there not appearing to be white people to choose (until a stretch goal is reached much to their chagrin apparently), the devs are of course racist to include that in the first place. It seems rather blatant vs being done with any redeemable themes in mind.

Wow this is just......wow. Nothing will do better to show why we need more LBGTQ+ characters in video games, then to make an LBGTQ+ game where every single one of them is a shitty person.

This is gonna go well.

"F**k white people"?

"Come get this Bussy?"

Is this suppose to be satire? It's gotta be some sort of satire.
It doesn’t help their cause even if it is.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The art style kind of reminds me of....what's it called, that game that came out recently about the gay dad going out and dating? Dream Daddy, there we go. It sort of looks like that art style to me, but intentionally obnoxious and confrontational about it's stereotypical character types, instead of just presenting them like Dream Daddy did.

Never been a fan of dating sim games like this, so it was never on my radar anyway. Definitely seems like the kind of game where the dev is banking on free publicity by social media trashing their terrible character types, and then returning fire in a defensive manner, to try and drum up support or something.

I suspect to see some gaming news articles about this dev team losing their shit on twitter or similar platform.

Bigs Smallson's profile and name amuses me. He's the least offensive of them, in that I don't find anything intentionally offensive in his writeup. He's just a big bi bear who's proud of being a bus driver. I'm fine with that. Plus the name...Bigs Smallson...I dunno, that name just makes me grin.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Decent art style, but dating games generally aren't my thing. I do see the devs probably going to be pilled on by dipshits yelling about not enough white people and diversity and things like that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Decent art style, but dating games generally aren't my thing. I do see the devs probably going to be pilled on by dipshits yelling about not enough white people and diversity and things like that.
I didn't even notice that none of those characters were white. So I don't know if that is an noticible as you might think it is.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I didn't even notice that none of those characters were white. So I don't know if that is an noticible as you might think it is.
Oh, that doesn't matter, I saw 4 black people which means that the dipshits will come out and attack it for diversity.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean it's gonna get attacked, but I don't think i'll be for that.
Come on Worgen.
You 'come on', we saw people railing against a fucken dinosaur VN game for reasons that are impossible to grasp.
You can still see some of it on the steam forums even after that was cleaned up

You can even just look at the like/dislike bar on the original trailer for it to see the sheer amount of hate it got.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You 'come on', we saw people railing against a fucken dinosaur VN game for reasons that are impossible to grasp.

You can even just look at the like/dislike bar on the original trailer for it to see the sheer amount of hate it got.
I mean I don't see any hate other than people saying it looks like trash. People are allowed to not like something, and frankly Volcano High looks terrible imo. Bad art style, no gameplay shown but most likely visual novel or Oxenfree style gameplay, and just looks utterly lame.

People are allowed to have opinions on the thing, and while some people be, "eww cringe" they are not the majority of the people downvoting the trailer. Sometimes, shit just looks like shit and people don't usually like shit.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean I don't see any hate other than people saying it looks like trash. People are allowed to not like something, and frankly Volcano High looks terrible imo. Bad art style, no gameplay shown but most likely visual novel or Oxenfree style gameplay, and just looks utterly lame.
You missed the best of the steam forums there, around the time the trailer came out there were like 5 pages of people shitting on it, most were just random troll posts but some were more about the 'social justice agenda.'

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You missed the best of the steam forums there, around the time the trailer came out there were like 5 pages of people shitting on it, most were just random troll posts but some were more about the 'social justice agenda.'
Yeah but people use any old excuse to shit on a thing.

I mean take Validate for example, it's pretty clear the audience they are going for with the game. The problem is, those people are not being shown in a good light by the bios listed here. A lot of it is the stereotypical of the SJW extremist mentality.

Whether a product is pandering or not, nothing that is clearly aimed towards the "SJW's" ever succeeds. The only game or movie that has been remotely successful that fits kinda into the label of "SJW"-game is Life is Strange. Beyond that i can't think of a single financial piece of media that was successful trying this approach.

Now if they want to invest in making these products anyway, great. But don't cry foul when they fail because your target audience is too small to actually make something a success.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I don't see how this is relevant. That's a game about teen angst which is something that attracts a different kind of criticism than ValiDate. I believe we'll only see people bringing up there not being white people in ValiDate as an ironic comment directed at people that talk about there not being enough <insert racial group> in any given game.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah but people use any old excuse to shit on a thing.

I mean take Validate for example, it's pretty clear the audience they are going for with the game. The problem is, those people are not being shown in a good light by the bios listed here. A lot of it is the stereotypical of the SJW extremist mentality.

Whether a product is pandering or not, nothing that is clearly aimed towards the "SJW's" ever succeeds. The only game or movie that has been remotely successful that fits kinda into the label of "SJW"-game is Life is Strange. Beyond that i can't think of a single financial piece of media that was successful trying this approach.

Now if they want to invest in making these products anyway, great. But don't cry foul when they fail because your target audience is too small to actually make something a success.
Do you even have any idea what the audiance this game is aimed at is? It doesn't matter anyway, they are making money on patreon so it sounds like this is what their audience wants, its not a ton of money but it is money.

Lets see, what games could be considered SJW. Well, we have the aformentioned 'Life is Strange' which I suppose would be, then I guess 'Undertale' would fit that too, I suppose the 'Borderlands' games could be SJW giving the diversity of the characters, I've heard people rail against 'Dragon Age' for being SJW so lets throw that in there too, fuck I remember seeing people ***** about 'Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice' as being SJW because she wasn't hot so that goes on the list also.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't see how this is relevant. That's a game about teen angst which is something that attracts a different kind of criticism than ValiDate. I believe we'll only see people bringing up there not being white people in ValiDate as an ironic comment directed at people that talk about there not being enough <insert racial group> in any given game.
It really depends on what part of the gaming sphere catches wind of the game. Those who shall not be named, aren't really around as much in general so its less likely to catch wind from the dumbest among us. At the moment it looks like its being called out for being racist by someone on youtube, so that's fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do you even have any idea what the audiance this game is aimed at is? It doesn't matter anyway, they are making money on patreon so it sounds like this is what their audience wants, its not a ton of money but it is money.

Lets see, what games could be considered SJW. Well, we have the aformentioned 'Life is Strange' which I suppose would be, then I guess 'Undertale' would fit that too, I suppose the 'Borderlands' games could be SJW giving the diversity of the characters, I've heard people rail against 'Dragon Age' for being SJW so lets throw that in there too, fuck I remember seeing people ***** about 'Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice' as being SJW because she wasn't hot so that goes on the list also.
I do find it funny that Streets of Rage was never once called an sjw game despite it being very multicultural for the past 29 years. Funny enough, nor Shante or River City Girls.

Last edited: