Valkyria Chronicles is on Steam!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted already but:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

It's been about six years ago since Valkyria Chronicles 1 was first released on the PS3. Goddamn does time fly.

But yeah, I only just found out about this a few minutes ago. And I figure those who missed out on the game the first time around, (whether it be due to a lack of a PS3 or preference for PC games) might want to know about the new PC release.

I highly recommend trying this game out. Especially if you like turn based strategy games.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
This game is good. Really good. And the fact that it's only 12.5 USD makes it even better.
It has really nice selection of characters, all classes actually matter, the story, while not being groundbreaking, is still rather well made. Oh, and gameplay is really nice mix of tps and tbs.

Ad if you do not like anime aestetics, don't let them fool you. There is only one stereotypical character: a meek little sister. There are no big breasted bimboes, tsunderes, gar man anc so on.

I have only one gripe with this game. So, there 2 kinds of points you get for winning a battle: exp for classes and dp ( I think?) for everything else, including bonus episodes. Those episodes are relatively cheap, but one was worth whooping 60k dp. I though to myself that it is a really important one, maybe a prequel to war or something. But nooo, it's a goddamn stereotypical beach episode. Goddamnit.

Overall, get it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm glad to see this game get another chance and I hope many people pick it because it really is a game worth playing, if only once. That and perhaps if enough get it, the series might get a second life on pc, which would make me very, very happy.

Also, for those wary of console to pc ports, according to this article on PC Gamer, the port is quite good.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
If for whatever reason you never got it when it came out I'd get it now. Excellent game, though its a dead series I warn you so don't go expecting anything (especially with it being Sega).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The game is fun but has some issues. It's very much a "learn-by-error" game - you mostly achieve victory by screwing up a bunch, going "oh okay" and then reloading and trying again now that you've learned a few critical lessons (like how certain units do and don't work).

The game also encourages you to practice shitty tactics by putting you on the clock: the number of rounds you take to complete a mission determines your grade at the end, so if you want to get perfect scores you have to bumrush everything, even when it flies in the face of all logic. So far the only thing high grades have given me though have been more money and xp, which you can grind for once you hit a certain point so it appears rather pointless beyond annoying you/encouraging you to play the game like an absurdly complicated puzzle (which will mean a LOT of loading.)

The plot is good though and the aesthetic is neat so I like it. It's just that I hate being graded poorly for doing what the game implies I SHOULD do - Recettear was very much in the same vein. I suppose I'll try to ignore it and just move through getting nothing but Bs.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
One of my favourite games of all time, its a shame it never got a proper sequel on the PS3. I'm glad that it has gotten a second lease of life, so enjoy PC gamers, you are in for a treat.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Sega missed a trick by not releasing this on the Wii U the gameplay would have been perfect for the touchscreen.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Mister K said:
Ad if you do not like anime aestetics, don't let them fool you. There is only one stereotypical character: a meek little sister. There are no big breasted bimboes, tsunderes, gar man anc so on.
I dunno, isn't Largo kinda gar? But I haven't played the game in a long while so...

There are some anime like characters but none of the really.....offensive ones? I mean the tropes they do use don't break the setting as much as say a big breasted bimbo bouncing around with a shotgun or something. Err this is like 1 woman that is shapely but I wouldn't call her a bimbo. Heck she's one of the big named characters of the series.

Also something to note is this is about as close as we get to talking about concentration camps ala World War 2, though these I think are closer to work camps. It was kinda cool to see a game touch on the subject.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mister K said:
Really, because the main protagonist is the regular sensitive, slightly obvlivious, mary sue type character, and the chick with the hanky has those obvious "tsundere" (ugh) love interest traits. There's even the hotheaded redhead, and the typical mascot.

It was the embarrassingly thick slather of cheese that ultimately made me give up on the game. Final Fantasy 10, eat your heart out.

The gameplay and art style are pretty terrific though.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I'll add my praise for this game to the pile.
Yes its anime stylings and there are actually a few, not just one stereotypical anime tropes but you choose your own squad so if that bothers you, ignore those.

The story is a fairly basic underdog story with a tiny bit of magical grandeur but the underlying theme is surprisingly heavy for a sega game, even if it does a rather heavy handed job of hitting you with the face with the real world events it took inspiration from. Battle in Europa... Empire going for a landgrab on the federation... huge issues with racism against the Darcsens. Subtle guys. Heavy handed or not it handles it well and the gameplay is enjoyable throughout.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Mister K said:
And the fact that it's only 12.5 USD makes it even better.
Where did you see it for 12.50.
Well, I saw it on Steam. If it's more expencive now, then it was probably some kind of daily discount that I saw.
MerlinCross said:
Mister K said:
I dunno, isn't Largo kinda gar? But I haven't played the game in a long while so...

There are some anime like characters but none of the really.....offensive ones? I mean the tropes they do use don't break the setting as much as say a big breasted bimbo bouncing around with a shotgun or something. Err this is like 1 woman that is shapely but I wouldn't call her a bimbo. Heck she's one of the big named characters of the series.

Also something to note is this is about as close as we get to talking about concentration camps ala World War 2, though these I think are closer to work camps. It was kinda cool to see a game touch on the subject.
Hmm, I always thought that Largo is this tought veteran that doesn't really like the new blood. I think this kind of character is universal and is present in every contries, um, lore(?) so I doubt that I can count him as gar char.

Casual Shinji said:
Mister K said:
Really, because the main protagonist is the regular sensitive, slightly obvlivious, mary sue type character, and the chick with the hanky has those obvious "tsundere" (ugh) love interest traits. There's even the hotheaded redhead, and the typical mascot.

It was the embarrassingly thick slather of cheese that ultimately made me give up on the game. Final Fantasy 10, eat your heart out.

I'll agree with you on a protag, but isn't tsundere someone who is like "I hate you and am spending a night shift with you because there is no one else, not because I like you, baka!"? The girl you are talking about is just... I dunno, ordinary? And tough women are a universal trope, not animu one.
You know, I'll have too agree with MerlinCross in the fact that if there are stereotypical characters, they are not offensive in this regard.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Mister K said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Mister K said:
And the fact that it's only 12.5 USD makes it even better.
Where did you see it for 12.50.
Well, I saw it on Steam. If it's more expencive now, then it was probably some kind of daily discount that I saw.
[
There was a pre-order discount. A 10% pre-order discount which wouldn't have brought it anywhere near 12.50

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
Can anyone please confirm the quality of the port? I don't want links I want a first hand account. What are the bugs? What is the frame rate like? How does it play with a mouse? Will my laptop with a 755 M and 8 GB of RAM have a good time with it? (I do game desktop, I just use my laptop as my Gameboy)

I am very interested, it is just that I won't have any more money to spend on a game until well after Christmas and don't want to waste it on a bad purchase

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Also, for those wary of console to pc ports, according to this article on PC Gamer, the port is quite good.
Can vouch.

I picked it up after reading that because I'd never played it before, and yeah, with the exception of a lack of mouse control in menus and no real graphics options, it's fine. There does seem to be some frame stuttering every now and then during cutscenes, but that could just be my old laptop and the actual missions haven't dropped below 60 FPS yet.

It's one of the increasing number of games which will support M&K and controllers simultaneously as well, which is very nice (lining up shots with the mouse is far more precise than using the controller, but I like moving characters around with the analog sticks).

scotth266 said:
The game is fun but has some issues. It's very much a "learn-by-error" game - you mostly achieve victory by screwing up a bunch, going "oh okay" and then reloading and trying again now that you've learned a few critical lessons (like how certain units do and don't work).
I dunno, I think that would depend on the player's experience with strategy games in the past, maybe? Although it's entirely possible I'm just not out of the tutorial yet (I'm almost through Chapter 3, and I've heard Chapter 5 is one of the most difficult in the entire game). The only mission I've had to restart so far was the one where they introduced enemy tanks, because it flattened Alicia.

The game also encourages you to practice shitty tactics by putting you on the clock: the number of rounds you take to complete a mission determines your grade at the end, so if you want to get perfect scores you have to bumrush everything, even when it flies in the face of all logic. So far the only thing high grades have given me though have been more money and xp, which you can grind for once you hit a certain point so it appears rather pointless beyond annoying you/encouraging you to play the game like an absurdly complicated puzzle (which will mean a LOT of loading.)
Yeah, the grading system is very lol-worthy; I've basically only gotten Cs so far.

One of the achievements for the game is to get all A ranks on all of the missions, so I think I can foresee at least one achievement I will not be getting. I like to take my time with strategy games, and rushing to finish as quickly as possible just doesn't sound particularly fun to me.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I won't be purchasing it on Steam, but only because I already own it on PS3 and have been playing through it recently. I highly recommend it, a very fun strategy RPG which is a bit more forgiving than the likes of Fire Emblem and XCOM. The art style and overall aesthetic are gorgeous and the characters and story are very good.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
I checked it out on Steam the other day after hearing a lot of praise from nerdy source. The screenshots make it look like "World War 2 meets Anime" so I was like "lol nope". Especially condering the nerd scene's bewildering readiness to forgive retarded shit as long as it has anime aesthetics or comes from japan.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I'm pretty excited. Haven't gotten a chance to play the first games due to my lack of PS3, but really have been wanting to get into it. PC gamer's good port review only makes me happier.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Mister K said:

Not really sure I would consider Alicia "tsundere" myself. At least the game version of her anyway. Now the anime version, that's a totally different story.

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
Seems like it's doing pretty well for itself, which is fantastic. Still holding out hope for VC3 though.