Valkyria Chronicles is on Steam!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
(I'm almost through Chapter 3, and I've heard Chapter 5 is one of the most difficult in the entire game)
Chapter 7, shrek! SEVEN!!!!! I just said you might start having trouble at 5. :p

OT: Yes, I bought it as soon as I could, and it's as wonderful as I remember it being. Hopefully the amount of purchases it's getting will convince SEGA to port 2 and 3, since 3 was never localized.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Marter said:
shrekfan246 said:
(I'm almost through Chapter 3, and I've heard Chapter 5 is one of the most difficult in the entire game)
Chapter 7, shrek! SEVEN!!!!! I just said you might start having trouble at 5. :p
Bah, humbug! I can't be bothered remembering trifling details.

It's almost like you expect me to actually pay attention to things people say to me. How can I do that when I'm too busy playing Valkyria Chronicles?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
scotth266 said:
The game is fun but has some issues. It's very much a "learn-by-error" game - you mostly achieve victory by screwing up a bunch, going "oh okay" and then reloading and trying again now that you've learned a few critical lessons (like how certain units do and don't work).

The game also encourages you to practice shitty tactics by putting you on the clock: the number of rounds you take to complete a mission determines your grade at the end, so if you want to get perfect scores you have to bumrush everything, even when it flies in the face of all logic. So far the only thing high grades have given me though have been more money and xp, which you can grind for once you hit a certain point so it appears rather pointless beyond annoying you/encouraging you to play the game like an absurdly complicated puzzle (which will mean a LOT of loading.)

The plot is good though and the aesthetic is neat so I like it. It's just that I hate being graded poorly for doing what the game implies I SHOULD do - Recettear was very much in the same vein. I suppose I'll try to ignore it and just move through getting nothing but Bs.
I pretty much agree. You can attack the enemy base directly... or send a Scout around the back to completely bypass the camp, assassinate the 1-2 guys guarding the command post, then take it to complete the mission. Some of the missions I have no idea how to A rank. Like 14. They expect you to both be psychic and have abilities that aren't available yet (Like Expose Weak Point).

Lancers are useless. Getting a Shocktrooper or Scout behind the tank and letting them gun it down is way more effective than just plinging away with the lances.

I like how Vyse, Aika, Fina, Hina, and Lina make appearances. Skies of Arcadia was a great game. (Funfact: The Medic isn't one girl, they're identical triplets).

DLC also breaks the game. If you play smart and give Rosie the MG you get from Vasel's assault, you can have her finish the Scout challenge in 7 turns for an A-rank. Then use the gun you get from that to finish the Sniper challenge. Ridiculous amounts of XP, cash, and extremely powerful weapons very early in the game.

Anyone know how many secret characters there are? I got Emile after Oscar died...

Wonder how SJW's would feel about the game. How they handle sexuality is pretty tasteful IMO, ('Fancies men' and 'fancies women' are often on the opposite gender, but sometimes people of the same gender have them. For example, Dallas (A girl with the 'fancies women' potential) is revealed to have a crush on both Alicia and Rosie later.

Then there's characters like Jann. 'I'M THE BUTCHEST WOMAN IN ALL THE LAND, HAHAHA!'

Marter said:
shrekfan246 said:

OT: Yes, I bought it as soon as I could, and it's as wonderful as I remember it being. Hopefully the amount of purchases it's getting will convince SEGA to port 2 and 3, since 3 was never localized.
I don't know how you're supposed to do 7 legit. I had my Scout with the DLC gun go up top and murder everyone there. Even when reinforcements came, I killed them all but the woman in one turn. She still killed all of my soldiers and got my tank down to one hit left before I finished the mission.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
scotth266 said:
The game is fun but has some issues. It's very much a "learn-by-error" game - you mostly achieve victory by screwing up a bunch, going "oh okay" and then reloading and trying again now that you've learned a few critical lessons (like how certain units do and don't work).

The game also encourages you to practice shitty tactics by putting you on the clock: the number of rounds you take to complete a mission determines your grade at the end, so if you want to get perfect scores you have to bumrush everything, even when it flies in the face of all logic. So far the only thing high grades have given me though have been more money and xp, which you can grind for once you hit a certain point so it appears rather pointless beyond annoying you/encouraging you to play the game like an absurdly complicated puzzle (which will mean a LOT of loading.)

The plot is good though and the aesthetic is neat so I like it. It's just that I hate being graded poorly for doing what the game implies I SHOULD do - Recettear was very much in the same vein. I suppose I'll try to ignore it and just move through getting nothing but Bs.
I pretty much agree. You can attack the enemy base directly... or send a Scout around the back to completely bypass the camp, assassinate the 1-2 guys guarding the command post, then take it to complete the mission. Some of the missions I have no idea how to A rank. Like 14. They expect you to both be psychic and have abilities that aren't available yet (Like Expose Weak Point).

Lancers are useless. Getting a Shocktrooper or Scout behind the tank and letting them gun it down is way more effective than just plinging away with the lances.

I like how Vyse, Aika, Fina, Hina, and Lina make appearances. Skies of Arcadia was a great game. (Funfact: The Medic isn't one girl, they're identical triplets).

DLC also breaks the game. If you play smart and give Rosie the MG you get from Vasel's assault, you can have her finish the Scout challenge in 7 turns for an A-rank. Then use the gun you get from that to finish the Sniper challenge. Ridiculous amounts of XP, cash, and extremely powerful weapons very early in the game.

Anyone know how many secret characters there are? I got Emile after Oscar died...
From what I remember, scouts and shocktroopers need specific types of weapons to effectively take down tanks, which I remember being unlocked kinda late into the game. Until then, lancers still have their uses I feel.

As for secret characters, you unlock a scout after starting a new game plus, and I believe you unlock a special lancer named Audrey if you acquire enough A ranks. I don't remember how exactly you unlock Emile, but I don't think Oscar needs to die to unlock him.

EDIT: Oh right! I believe if you unlock Karl's hidden potential, you'll unlock his girlfriend Lynn. Who's one of the best shocktroopers in the game IMO.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
scorptatious said:
Not really sure I would consider Alicia "tsundere" myself. At least the game version of her anyway. Now the anime version, that's a totally different story.
No dont tell people about the anime its frikkin horrendous. I havent got this game on PC but I may do I bought it when it came out on PS3 because I thought it looked interesting despite my usual distaste for strategy games (its mostly turn based though which I dont mind as much and so took a chance).

The game is absolutely amazing my second favourite of all time I didnt stop playing until I had A ranked all missions and completed all the available maps on hard (some of those are damn hard as well). Selvaria Bles is also one of my favourite characters in any game its pretty much the main reason I have just bought Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, pro tip dont try and take her on (at least until the game forces you and then NEVER fire at her UNLESS you have a perfect shot perk and you think it will activate or you are directly behind her and I mean directly behind otherwise she will dodge and likely finish you with return fire.If you want a laugh try taking her on in her Valkyrie form (just for your sanity save first).

Dont be put off by the visuals it fits the game perfectly the entire presentation is spot on imo also the shock trooper Jane is awesome even though she is such a minor character I always had her on my squad she was just a complete badass.

I wouldnt worry about getting A ranks until a new game plus when you know all the maps well and have decent abilities and equipment. There is also an easy way to cheese most of them but im not gonna spoil that twist.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
scorptatious said:
Kopikatsu said:
scotth266 said:

From what I remember, scouts and shocktroopers need specific types of weapons to effectively take down tanks, which I remember being unlocked kinda late into the game. Until then, lancers still have their uses I feel.

As for secret characters, you unlock a scout after starting a new game plus, and I believe you unlock a special lancer named Audrey if you acquire enough A ranks. I don't remember how exactly you unlock Emile, but I don't think Oscar needs to die to unlock him.

EDIT: Oh right! I believe if you unlock Karl's hidden potential, you'll unlock his girlfriend Lynn. Who's one of the best shocktroopers in the game IMO.
If I remember correctly you unlock Audrey if you get a certain amount of medals. 10 or so I think.
And Emile unlocks if Oscar is downed after his true potential is unlocked.
Same thing with Lynn and Karl.
The easiest way is just shooting them in the head and call a medic. After that they should show up in the recruitment menu.

OT:
I'm having a blast playing it through again. I don't really care about getting A ranks as it's cheesy as hell to do. Mass Scouts, All Defense order run past everything and shoot like three guys. Really boring.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
What kind of controller are you using? I'm trying to use my ps3 contoller and it controls like ass. I'm needing to use the d-pad to move around and can't even rotate my characters direction without aiming down the sights at an enemy. Not sure if it's just my controller or what.

Other than that this game is amazing, I bought it the moment I found it on steam because this series deserves all the money it can get and I would really like for the other two games to get ported over because I can't play the 2nd on my vita and the 3rd never came out this way Q_Q

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Issurru said:
shrekfan246 said:
What kind of controller are you using? I'm trying to use my ps3 contoller and it controls like ass. I'm needing to use the d-pad to move around and can't even rotate my characters direction without aiming down the sights at an enemy. Not sure if it's just my controller or what.

Other than that this game is amazing, I bought it the moment I found it on steam because this series deserves all the money it can get and I would really like for the other two games to get ported over because I can't play the 2nd on my vita and the 3rd never came out this way Q_Q
I'm just using a PS3 controller as well.

I switched over from using regular Motioninjoy to a program called BetterDS3, which uses the Motioninjoy drivers but has better functionality. I have two profiles set up, one to emulate Dinput (used for non-standard nonsense, generally won't work or will be far more finicky for most normal PC games) and one to emulate Xinput (Xbox style), and it's worked just fine so far using the Xbox-style setup.

Check the configuration for the game too, the control config was confusing to me when I first looked at it so maybe something in there went all wonky.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I love this game, though it does have its faults. Linking your performance grade to your completion speed rather than number of enemy targets eliminated and friendly targets unharmed seems kinda ass-backwards for a "strategy" game. Granted, you can cheese your way through it if you know what you're doing.

Leveling up Scouts, for example, is cruise control to success. Scouts become hilariously powerful. Their rifles are extremely accurate at relatively long range, they eventually do enough damage that a Scout can take out an enemy Shock Trooper in a single turn from outside of the Shock Trooper's range, their range/accuracy/damage makes them excellent reaction-fire defenders (often able to halt enemy Shock Troopers before they get within range to fire), their grenade launcher upgrade makes them extremely effective against enemies in and out of cover as well as enemies that they don't actually have line-of-sight on, they get some ridiculously strong bonus skills, and they can cover a lot of ground very quickly. Pairing Scouts with Engineers gets even more hilariously great, because Engineers also have crazy high movement range and similarly powerful guns, with the ability to act as a combat medic and a mobile resupply station for grenade launcher rounds. So you can send in a few Scouts, have all of them bombard a target with their grenade launchers, run an Engineer past the group of Scouts for resupply, then launch a second barrage of grenade launcher rounds. It's pretty great.

You can also cheese the game by doing the DLC and unlocking Ruhm. Ruhm is a "submachine gun" class weapon that's really more like a Browning Automatic Rifle. It fires very long bursts with extremely high accuracy even at long range (competitive with Scouts and Snipers) and ridiculous damage per-bullet even against armored targets. Give Ruhm to one of your stronger Shock Troopers like Rosie, Lynn, Vryse, or Jane and you now have a one-Trooper army that can easily dispatch pretty much any threat in the game. Give them that crazy-high damage flamethrower that one of the late-game named enemies drops too and you can now pretty much roflstomp everything thrown at you.

Also, I wouldn't bother upgrading Snipers much. I find Snipers to be pretty much worthless in this game. They can only fire a limited number of times without having an Engineer hovering over their shoulder, their misses are particularly annoying, they get very low movement distance, they don't reaction fire, they're extremely vulnerable to pretty much everything, and they're worthless against any target that's in cover. There's pretty much nothing they can do that a Scout can't do better.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Leveling up Scouts, for example, is cruise control to success. Scouts become hilariously powerful..
And then there's Alicia.

Once you've levelled up the scout class there are almost no maps Alicia can't solo. Frequently in a single turn.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
I really liked the PSP version and I was told the PS3 version ?(never had one) was even better.

So I'm going to buy this as soon as I have free time to play it.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
Ushiromiya Battler said:
If I remember correctly you unlock Audrey if you get a certain amount of medals. 10 or so I think.
And Emile unlocks if Oscar is downed after his true potential is unlocked.
Same thing with Lynn and Karl.
The easiest way is just shooting them in the head and call a medic. After that they should show up in the recruitment menu.

OT:
I'm having a blast playing it through again. I don't really care about getting A ranks as it's cheesy as hell to do. Mass Scouts, All Defense order run past everything and shoot like three guys. Really boring.
Yeah, as much as I love Valkryia Chronicles, there's no denying that the ranking system is inherently flawed to say the least. However, it is entirely possible to get all the A ranks without using orders.

Either way though, it's more fun just to play the game the way you want to. Hell, the strategy guide to the game even states that in Chapter 3, it's more fun to go for a B rank than it is to go for an A rank. :/

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
Also, I wouldn't bother upgrading Snipers much. I find Snipers to be pretty much worthless in this game. They can only fire a limited number of times without having an Engineer hovering over their shoulder, their misses are particularly annoying, they get very low movement distance, they don't reaction fire, they're extremely vulnerable to pretty much everything, and they're worthless against any target that's in cover. There's pretty much nothing they can do that a Scout can't do better.
I respectfully disagree. Early on, yeah, snipers do have pretty low accuracy, but later on, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Marina in particular is insane. At high levels, she rarely ever misses.
Maximum Bert said:
scorptatious said:
Not really sure I would consider Alicia "tsundere" myself. At least the game version of her anyway. Now the anime version, that's a totally different story.
No dont tell people about the anime its frikkin horrendous.
Yeah, I agree. Initially, I was pretty hyped, but there were just so many things wrong with it. The show seemed to de-emphasized the action, they made Alicia into a total tsundere, they shoe horned in a stupid love triangle, and they spoiled a pretty massive story point during the second theme song before it even happened.

It was pretty disappointing to say the least.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
scorptatious said:
I respectfully disagree. Early on, yeah, snipers do have pretty low accuracy, but later on, they are a force to be reckoned with.

She may never miss, but she still has all of the other drawbacks of limited ammunition, no reaction fire, low movement distance, low durability, limited usefulness against targets in cover, zero usefulness against armor, and zero versatility.

Meanwhile you can beat entire missions with Scouts alone and still score top marks.

Snipers just really aren't that great, generally speaking. Any experience spent leveling them during a first playthrough would be better spent in... pretty much any other class. It's definitely a fault in the game that they're so improperly balanced. Normally I LOVE sniper units in strategy games.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
scorptatious said:

She may never miss, but she still has all of the other drawbacks of limited ammunition, no reaction fire, low movement distance, low durability, limited usefulness against targets in cover, zero usefulness against armor, and zero versatility.

Meanwhile you can beat entire missions with Scouts alone and still score top marks.

Snipers just really aren't that great, generally speaking. Any experience spent leveling them during a first playthrough would be better spent in... pretty much any other class. It's definitely a fault in the game that they're so improperly balanced. Normally I LOVE sniper units in strategy games.
If you complete the Tank challenge, you get an anti-material rifle. As terrible as Snipers are, they make better anti-tank units than the Lancers do.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
scorptatious said:

About 5 hours in and yeah...they're a bit disappointing. Lancers somehow have better movement than snipers, though how the only unarmored soldiers manage that is beyond me.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I bought this game, knowing about its reputation, but when I got it, I was annoyed that the options are so limited. Call me spoiled, but I was expecting 60 FPS, but instead of that, the highest I can get is 30, and on the lowest settings, it only gets worse. It's a little weird that I haven't seen or met anyone else mentioning this. Is this just a thing with my graphics card?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
scotth266 said:

Or where certain reinforcements come in on a certain dessert map with the potential to wipe your team in one turn...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Mister K said:
Ad if you do not like anime aestetics, don't let them fool you. There is only one stereotypical character: a meek little sister. There are no big breasted bimboes, tsunderes, gar man anc so on.
Really, because the main protagonist is the regular sensitive, slightly obvlivious, mary sue type character, and the chick with the hanky has those obvious "tsundere" (ugh) love interest traits. There's even the hotheaded redhead, and the typical mascot.

It was the embarrassingly thick slather of cheese that ultimately made me give up on the game. Final Fantasy 10, eat your heart out.

The gameplay and art style are pretty terrific though.
I get the feeling that the first half of the game had that light tone in order to heavily contrast certain plot points, making them feel more impactful.

This gives the characters the ability to grow from their stereotypical personalities and gain a dimension or two. However, whether or not they succeeded in this is up to each person's interpretation.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Ryallen said:
I bought this game, knowing about its reputation, but when I got it, I was annoyed that the options are so limited. Call me spoiled, but I was expecting 60 FPS, but instead of that, the highest I can get is 30, and on the lowest settings, it only gets worse. It's a little weird that I haven't seen or met anyone else mentioning this. Is this just a thing with my graphics card?
That's odd, I'm tried running this on an AMD A6 laptop (testing to see if my brother can play the game) and even after hooking it up to a 1080p monitor I still get 40+ FPS. The laptop processor is even lower than minimum requirements (1.6 GHz vs. 2.0 GHz minimum). It has a HD6250G (mobile) GPU on it though, although Durante's review of the game on PCGamer runs it on i5-3317U (1.7 GHz) with Intel HD4000 graphics also got 44 FPS. On the setting when you first start the game you can set the FPS to use the monitor refresh rate and disable Vsync.