Valkyria Chronicles Sales Suddenly Up 400%

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Holy balls! A 400% jump?

Wait. This happened after the price dropped, right? Does anyone know the normal rate of increase after the price gets that low? I'd think it would be decently high...

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
See? When Sega stops toting Sonic's dead corpse around, they make quite a mint in the sales market.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
HOO RAH!

Not to mention a price drop to $30, which Sega describes as inciting copies to fly "off the shelves like delicious hotcakes at a protest against weight watchers."
Best. Marketing. Quote. Ever.

It's always nice to see a genuinly good game achieve despite being the underdog. Even if I can't play it, I wish it well.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
wellington said:
Good? Glad it's selling better but the whole story breaks down to "is selling more". Not how much it's selling then or now, not analysis of why it might be selling more, nothing. We don't even know if the suddenly 4 times larger number equals a good sales month. Good news, bad story.
I agree the lack of real numbers does make the story a little worthless but still as a story it makes me smile. This is one of the better ps3 games and deserves some attention and I am glad if it makes its way out of the sadly neglected pile. Really I would like another game in this style too, not a sequel as such but a continuation of the battle style and aesthetic style of this one with the faults addressed.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That's extremely impressive.

I think some publishers could take note from the fact that the game started really selling when it hit the $30 mark.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Worsle said:
wellington said:
Good? Glad it's selling better but the whole story breaks down to "is selling more". Not how much it's selling then or now, not analysis of why it might be selling more, nothing. We don't even know if the suddenly 4 times larger number equals a good sales month. Good news, bad story.
I agree the lack of real numbers does make the story a little worthless but still as a story it makes me smile. This is one of the better ps3 games and deserves some attention and I am glad if it makes its way out of the sadly neglected pile. Really I would like another game in this style too, not a sequel as such but a continuation of the battle style and aesthetic style of this one with the faults addressed.
Really the point of this story is to give Valkyria fans something to be happy about - I think regardless of what the actual numbers are, the fact that this game is selling to the point where people aren't able to find it in stores is evidence enough that it's magically pulled itself out of the shit sales ghetto. That's really the gist of it.

And to address one of the first criticisms, I did go into why the game is selling more. Anyway.

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
I think this has less to do with word of mouth marketing and sales than the release of the anime. Hopefully it paid off enough and the game gets a sequel.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Really the point of this story is to give Valkyria fans something to be happy about - I think regardless of what the actual numbers are, the fact that this game is selling to the point where people aren't able to find it in stores is evidence enough that it's magically pulled itself out of the shit sales ghetto. That's really the gist of it.

And to address one of the first criticisms, I did go into why the game is selling more. Anyway.
I know but really 400% does not tell me any thing to give me hope or other wise. Did it go from 1 game being sold to 4? Neither would give me to much hope but being hard to find in stores is a bit more informative, however I don't think I would have found it before this in any store near me for a very different reason and is why I had to order it online. It is good news but unless I can see some figures I have no idea if these are good results or just less disappointing.

Mar 26, 2008
It's good to see Sega turning a bit of coin

*looks longingly at Dreamcast*

What's the deal with the chick with the big rack though? Using a bit of sex to sell?

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
ElegantSwordsman said:
I think this has less to do with word of mouth marketing and sales than the release of the anime. Hopefully it paid off enough and the game gets a sequel.
Or maybe it's both. After all, the show's airing certainly helped with word of mouth. At least in communities of folks who watch "them Japanese cartoons" on the internets.

A bit surprised the anime didn't even get a mention, though.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
You remember that big gamestop sale? I think that has something to do with it too.

Doesn't matter what did this though, because I'm really frikin' happy that games like this are getting supported. It's one of the best in this generation so far - no matter how much you hate anime.

Korth13

May 22, 2009
I admit it, I bought the game in April, just before the Zero Punctuation review came out. Reason: I wanted to try JRPG...and its pretty good, except for the odd bit of storyline, like pig with wings?! :/

Otherwise good fun game!

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I've been eyeing up this game for months, just waiting until I had some spare cash to buy it with.

Maybe if enough people buy this, Sega will have enough money to make more good games.
We can dream.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Keane Ng said:
Which Sega describes as inciting copies to fly "off the shelves like delicious hotcakes at a protest against weight watchers."
That is the best quote ever, Sega has a sense of humor!
Anyways, congratulations, Sega!

Did anyone else think, just for a second "Yahtzee influenced this, just a tiny bit.."?