Valve Addresses Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitbox Issues

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Valve Addresses Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Hitbox Issues

Valve has finally admitted that CS:GO has a hitbox issue that it is working on.

Ever since being released back in 2012, fans of Valve shooter following .gif was posted on reddit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/counter%20strike%20global%20offensive?os=counter+strike+global+offensive], featuring the almost comically broken hitboxes. It skyrocketed to the front page, finally prompting a response from Valve.

Valve's Matt Wood replied to the thread with the very terse: "It's being worked on. We don't have an eta." And that was all. Fans were elated that Valve finally acknowledged the issue after three years, but were disappointed that no more information was offered.

Prior to the game's release, back in March, 2012, Valve posted a blog post [http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2012/03/1838/] explaining that hitboxes in CS:GO would be considerably smaller than their Counter-Strike: Source counterparts, in order to ensure that the accuracy of your shots actually mattered. Well, it looks like in that process, it may have made things a little... too accurate, with the system refusing to register dead-on hits for seemingly no reason.

We've reached out to Valve to see if they can offer us more information, but don't expect to hear anything until "Valve Time" dictates a response.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/36reht/valve_acknowledges_the_hitbox_issue_says_they_are/]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Its probably been in a constant state of "Being worked on" since the game launched. If by being worked on you mean theres a guy who glances at the code every month or so, realizes it'd take longer than five seconds to fix, then shrugs his/her shoulders and moves on.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
shintakie10 said:
Its probably been in a constant state of "Being worked on" since the game launched. If by being worked on you mean theres a guy who glances at the code every month or so, realizes it'd take longer than five seconds to fix, then shrugs his/her shoulders and moves on.
And the problem with Valve's "start your own projects, build your own team - there are no bosses!" philosophy rears its head.
"Hey, do you want to join my team for tedious, repetitive, and boring hitbox testing for a game that's been out for three years and is already making us a boatload of money?"

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Bu... But Valve can do no wrong! -.- I don't play CS:GO but I'd be pissed the dev knows the game is broken and doesn't fix it, just like all the other devs that do the same thing.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Maybe it's just me but what's the issue with those hit boxes?
The issue is that they are small enough that the model sticks out, so that it's possible for the model to be struck without registering in a hitbox (in other words, the polygons aren't all in the hitboxes so hits in some areas don't count). It wouldn't be so bad if it was only in one or two spots or at odd angles, but the overlap is in some key areas and all over the models.

Think of it like playing darts with a dartboard partially buried in the wall: even if you hit where it should be, you may not get points.

OT: Even just glancing at that picture I can see where their problems are arising from; how did that get by QA? Such a shame that it's taken them so long to even admit there's a problem. Given that I still see patch notes and updates for issues in some of my other valve games (including some ridiculously old ones), I can't believe that it's been 3 years and they still haven't done anything. I'm guessing that simply increasing the hitbox sizes causing some other issues with the game, otherwise it would have been an easy fix.

I guess valve has been too busy making hats and cluttering up steam with less-than-friendly consumer practices.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
Maybe it's just me but what's the issue with those hit boxes?

You're joking right?

Either that or I'm guessing you didn't click the link to the reddit thread and then check out the gif.

Short version: Guy comes around a box, sprays down a guy leaving 11 rounds left in his magazine. Turns another corner to find a second guy planting them bomb. Pumps the remaining eleven rounds into him at point blank range with the crosshairs firmly centre mass and...gets apparently two hits for 27 damage.

Probably due to the fact that the hitboxes being smaller than the model means that in particularly awkward cases like that huge parts of the model can be outside the hitbox.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I played a lot of CS:GO and always felt something was off. Even though I could clearly see my tracers landing, only 1/2 would register sometimes. With zero experience in game development I just shrugged this off as poor play. Now I can say it's only 1/2 poor play:)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't "comically bad hitboxes" always been a problem with the Counter Strike series?

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
So if Valves usual ETA for Working on things is to be followed then this fix will appear some point after we colonise alpha-beta-9 and make contact with the Starborn ones. And even then it will probably just be on internal testing.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Scrythe said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't "comically bad hitboxes" always been a problem with the Counter Strike series?
Yes. TTT in Garrysmod uses the same hitboxes and are known to be horrible at times. It used to be much worse.

Actually, the hits not registering on someone bending forward has been a common hitbox issue in the Counter-Strike series.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fuckin' finally. Hopefully they'll do something about it soon. Yeah, I'm one of those CS freaks. And my aim is better than yours. BOOM HEADSHOT!

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i don't understand people's blind devotion to valve. had EA or Ubisoft pulled something like this, there would be riots (in the forums). But Valve takes 3 years to address what really seems like a minor fix, and the people celebrate when they receive a what, 7 word response?? Valve seems to be only coasting on the goodwill they earned over a decade ago, and has steadily been making shittier and shittier choices.

yet, the outcry is never as vitriolic as what is thrown towards other companies...

you do realize that the Holy Grail of valve gaming, half life, has a silent protagonist and all the npc's just go about their exposition and dialogue (monologues, really) and act as if this is entirely acceptable.

i love half life, portal, left for dead, i have plenty of steam games. but that doesn't mean we should just ignore what are glaringly obvious poor business practices.

CAPTCHA: Giant Panda. probably the next "simulator" to get greenlit on the abomination that has become the steam store.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Oh? Did people finally realize CS:GO as in the core aspect; point and shoot, doesn't work well?

Good job, all it took me was... oh, 2 minutes of playing to see this. Now, let's go ***** about the reboot of Need For Speed 'cause EA, and continue to worship Valve.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Houseman said:
The .gif showed a discrepancy between the hitboxes and this one particular animation. The animation probably moved, but the hitboxes didn't move with it. This isn't evidence of a huge fundamental problem with the game.
Nope, it's not. But that's not gonna stop this forum from stroking the Valve-hate-boners!

The article also grossly overstates how widespread the whining about CS:GO's hitboxes is. Most players, even at the pro level, have not had much issue since release. Certainly not to the degree the article claims. Most never even experience the issue, save for a handful of situations involving certain animations or latency discrepancies.

Scrythe said:
Pretty much, yeah. Maybe they'll get it right this time?

[sub][sub]probably not[/sub][/sub]

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Just to be clear, the hitboxes is general are fine. This .gif is related to a very specific issue where the bomb planting animation moves a lot but uses the standard crouching hitboxes, so the model leans forward a lot more than its hitboxes and seemingly dead-on shots miss.

Seems a lot of people are jumping on the anti-Valve bandwagon without much perspective on how bad the issue is, which is not much. It should absolutely have been fixed by now, but it's not like it ruins as many games as the current comments outcry would indicate.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I bought CS:GO at launch, played a few rounds, snuck up behind an enemy and emptied a clip of my FAMAS (I think) at 2 meters into the guys back, he turns and drops me with his pistol...

... hit reg results : I hit 2 times leg and arm , he put 2 shots into my head.

Yes I was aiming, I had the reticle full on his back, the ping was decent (about 50 - 60 ms), the target was moving very slowly.

I uninstalled the game and never looked at it since.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
CS:GO always felt off the guns never felt right its better these days but i remember the same kinda feel from 1.6 to CS:S but cs:s was not as bad as GO is.