Valve, Blizzard Want Single Online Platform for Consoles

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Ohhh great idea... destroy competiion.... create a monopoly of online game distribution... because Monopoly are so good... Thouse guys need a good smack behind the head

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
thest3alth said:
coldalarm said:
I think it's a ridiculous idea.

We need competition. There's two consoles (I'm ignoring Nintendo because they're Nintendo), and they need to compete with each other. If they share an online service, where's the competition? How can Microsoft try to one-up Sony? How can Sony try to offer something that MS can't? Sony has free online play, right? Microsoft doesn't. That's something they both compete over.
Perhaps it'd harm competition, but it would boost innovation. If all online services were the same, the companies would need to branch out, explore other features to sell their consoles.
I bet that would actually be the opposite that happen... It's a Monopoly that we will get, and Monopoly never mean innovation...

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
FelixG said:
Talvrae said:
Ohhh great idea... destroy competiion.... create a monopoly of online game distribution... because Monopoly are so good... Thouse guys need a good smack behind the head
If its an open market between all gaming platforms its not a monopoly, its only one if one specific entity controls it, if XBL, Steam, Battle.net, PSN, Onlive, Impulse, whatever all had access to the overarching system that connected all gaming consoles then it wouldnt kill innovation or be a monopoly.

They are not saying one group should rule all of this, they are just saying that the communities should be open to everyone like the internet instead of closed off like they are now.

I guess Monopoly is just the big buzzword in this thread.

Ohh and "Fuck Blizzard" +1
Sure it would not be a monopoly for the development of game, but it would be for distributions... it would be like if from now on physical copy of game where all sold by gamestop from now on. Sure game developer would still have competion betwen them. But gamestop would not...

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Talvrae said:
FelixG said:
Talvrae said:
If its an open market between all gaming platforms its not a monopoly, its only one if one specific entity controls it, if XBL, Steam, Battle.net, PSN, Onlive, Impulse, whatever all had access to the overarching system that connected all gaming consoles then it wouldnt kill innovation or be a monopoly.

They are not saying one group should rule all of this, they are just saying that the communities should be open to everyone like the internet instead of closed off like they are now.

I guess Monopoly is just the big buzzword in this thread.

Ohh and "Fuck Blizzard" +1
Sure it would not be a monopoly for the development of game, but it would be for distributions... it would be like if from now on physical copy of game where all sold by gamestop from now on. Sure game developer would still have competion betwen them. But gamestop would not...
Probably because someone will have to maintain it... eighter that or i'm becoming paranoiac after being so much screwed by my gouvernement here in québec with some monopoly (like the SAQ Society of Alchool of Québec)

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
yes please i have always wanted this ... since most of my friends have a 360 but i refuse to pay monthly for online. ( i did try it but turned out to be the biggest waste of money for me ) im no Ps3 fanboy im just saying from my experiance of having them both for 3 months the one i played and enjoyed more was the Ps3 but i cant perfectly understand why people do like the 360.

but yeah back on topic, if we could all just play against each other online it would be great, as i wouldnt be punished and refused to play with friends just because i have a different opinion than them....

.... oh and on another note! BRING BACK PROPER SPLITSCREEN, GOD DAMNIT!!

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Hamish Durie said:
ahh and 10 year from now the cross platform console will be born
It can play any game NES to 720
Just like how an PC can emulate most consoles from ten years ago.