Valve Changes The Steam Controller Again

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
oh yes, this is a thing. Why do I get the feeling that the Steambox concept is going to underwhelm when it finally gets around to release?

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
martyrdrebel27 said:
Valve: the world's most celebrated purveyor of Vaporware. I (mostly) kid, but seriously, Xbox controllers are PC standard now, why try top reinvent the wheel for only minor (arguable) benefits? We fit controllers, we good brah.
Its the same reasone mice now use those light sensor things instead of rollerballs. Even incremental changes are important. In 10 years we may look at analog sticks the same way as those rollerball mice.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Pushing it back further and further. Here I was hoping that the release of a Steam OS ver. 1.0 would bring with it Half-life 3 as a sort of launch title. I've heard the reports that Microsoft expended massive resources designing their XBOne controller, so Valve isn't the first to obsess over their controller design.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, great. They took a step away from the trackpad to something that allows FPS games to be fun. But since they still have a trackpad this means it's a controller that can actually manage RTS games for once.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
What it looks like to me is that the left side is slowly becoming purpose built for navigation and the right side remains the general use side, like on most modern controllers. Probably a good overall design choice.

In any case, these changes are a good sign. It shows they are iterating on the product and taking their time instead of rushing it through development.

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
Valve are making a compromise between, thumbstick, buttons, d-pads, and the mouse. The original idea seemed to bet that the trackpad is primarily the compromise of a mouse, a trackball, and a thumbstick. In the second revision (or was that a fan mockup?) of the steam controller (the idea with two trackpads and 10 (4-4-2) front face buttons), the trackpad is primarily featured as a compromise between thumbsticks and mice, I liked this direction as it threw away the trackpad as a button concept to focus the trackpad to the primarily analogue roles. In the current revision the right track pad is used to perform mouse or right thumbstick capabilities, but left trackpad to an attempt to perform d-pad or button functionality.

This is omni functionality for the track pad is actually, still, very close to the original design that had no standards buttons at all. The big difference between the first and current design is that Valve is now simultaneously admitting that the left trackpad can't replace the left thumbstick, but the right trackpad CAN replace the right thumbstick. That the right trackpad can't replace buttons on the right side, but the left trackpad is a suitable replacement for the digital inputs normally found on the left side. At the same time Valve continues to grapple with the idea that the trackpad must simultaneously be used as analog controls in one instance while trying to be digital (buttons or 4-way) in the other. Despite all these changes, I don't think Valve has removed any points of risk or contention in the controller design. While Valve tries to remove compromises in certain parts of the controller, they manage to keep each of their compromises in at least one half of the controller.

Valve should strip the idea of using the trackpads as replacements for digital buttons or d-pads and focus on the singular most important concept. Trackpads to replace thumbsticks.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Slowly its turning into a 360/PS3 type pad. Still pointless though. I play PC games on the sofa at times, all you need is something study to put your mouse on.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Strazdas said:
josemlopes said:
Strazdas said:
when Microsoft isnt even capable of basic "more than one size" concepts in controllers you certianly cant make it standard.
What other companies that arent primarly about making acessories make controllers of multiple sizes? Because Microsoft did that with the original Xbox
Didnt Razer make some? or is that accessories company to you?

Also just because noone does it does not mean that there is no market out there for differenly sized controllers, which would also solve a lot of "this is more confortable to me" problems.
Razer is mostly an accessorie company, if not just that, they dont have games of their own and as far as I know a console of their own.

Then add to that the fact it isnt as basic as it seems since no one actually does it other then the single company that you complained about.

So yeah, stop complaining that a certain company doesnt do it when in fact it was the only one to actually do it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
Valve: the world's most celebrated purveyor of Vaporware. I (mostly) kid, but seriously, Xbox controllers are PC standard now, why try top reinvent the wheel for only minor (arguable) benefits? We fit controllers, we good brah.
Probably because Xbox controllers aren't all that good. They're good for some 3D games but bad for pretty much every shooter and any dedicated PC game, and they're also the worst controller out there for 2D games because the Dpad is one of the worst in history. Xbox controllers may be the standard PC controller, but it's not because they're the best PC controller we could have.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
The iBuyPower ones are out as well. SBX. [http://www.ibuypower.com/Product/SBX] Although you can save a bunch of money and buy it without a OS installed if you're just going to put SteamOS on it.

Still plan on buying one as my next console.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
josemlopes said:
Razer is mostly an accessorie company, if not just that, they dont have games of their own and as far as I know a console of their own.

Then add to that the fact it isnt as basic as it seems since no one actually does it other then the single company that you complained about.

So yeah, stop complaining that a certain company doesnt do it when in fact it was the only one to actually do it.
I could complain that no company does it as easily, its just that we were talking about a product from MS here and not, say, Sony. Once again, just because noone does it does not mean that its somehow an alien concept. in fact, all other controlling devices do it for decades, console controllers are the only device not to come in different sizes.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
If you want a d-pad, just use the face buttons as one and remap the face buttons controls to the the extra bumpers and the buttons inside the grip of the controller. Easy