Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
pffffff

1) they still DEVELOPED steam

2) for me personally

HL2: favorite FPS of all time, 3rd favorite game of all time

TF2: favorite online FPS of all time, 7th favorite game of all time

Portal 2: one of my favorite puzzle games of all time also one of my favorite coop games of all time

Left 4 Dead 2: fantastic coop game

not counting Dota 2 or HL1 (which i played WAAAAYYY after it was released) i dont think there has been a single Valve game i havent enjoyed, ive even had some good moments with Counter Strike, despite the fact i die first way too often, still have to get me Global Offensive
Last time I checked this was March Mayhem 2014, not March Mayhem 2000-2014. Only things made this year (should) count, and all Valve "made" this year was a copy-paste of DOTA stuffed with Hats and changed just enough that they can't be sued.

I propose next years March Mayhem include some Chinese rip-offs. If DOTA2 is a legit entry, so are they.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Aeshi said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
pffffff

2) for me personally

Portal 2: one of my favorite puzzle games of all time also one of my favorite coop games of all time

not counting Dota 2 or HL1 (which i played WAAAAYYY after it was released) i dont think there has been a single Valve game i havent enjoyed, ive even had some good moments with Counter Strike, despite the fact i die first way too often, still have to get me Global Offensive
Last time I checked this was March Mayhem 2014, not March Mayhem 2000-2014. Only things made this year (should) count, and all Valve "made" this year was a copy-paste of DOTA stuffed with Hats and changed just enough that they can't be sued.

I propose next years March Mayhem include some Chinese rip-offs. If DOTA2 is a legit entry, so are they.
oh yeah absolutely only developers who've games in the last 3 months should enter

also its a sequel to dota, why should it be completely different? but just ot get this out of the way

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Changes_from_DotA#Fog_of_War_Changes

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Aeshi said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
pffffff

2) for me personally

Uh.. DOTA 2 is a direct sequel from the people who made the original DOTA, it is as legit as you can get. So I don't know what you are on about.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
NuclearKangaroo said:
oh yeah absolutely only developers who've games in the last 3 months should enter
*12* months.
A developer has to have released a game within the last 12 months, to be eligible to enter. That was actually how the developers were chosen for this.

So, if you're voting for something a developer has done in years past, you're voting wrong. It's as simple as that.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I like Valve, but this is just getting ridiculous and it happens every year.

You can say all you want, but Valve to me has become just the guys who run Steam and not a developer anymore. They really need to stop doing the "Blizzard route" and just release sequels of their games and make something new for a change if they still want to keep their "dev card" in my opinion.

Rules should be changed for next year that's for sure, else it's rather pointless to even vote for the other developers if the Valve fans will always flock and vote for them year after year.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lord GabeN won as he should. The actual interesting thing here was that Firaxis got into second place beating everyone else at it. I totaly didnt expect that one.

IceForce said:
So, if you're voting for something a developer has done in years past, you're voting wrong. It's as simple as that.
DarkhoIlow said:
Rules should be changed for next year that's for sure, else it's rather pointless to even vote for the other developers if the Valve fans will always flock and vote for them year after year.
No they are not. There are no rules. You vote for whoever you want. period.

May 29, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Im not overly impressed with this, seeing as Valve haven't really done anything of note for a while other than continue to make Steam work. Ah well, maybe next year.
How dare you!

Those TF2 hats were worth more then all the games in the world. Filthy heathen.

No but seriously I just pretend that the second place is the real winner and valve doesn't exist in this competition.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Strazdas said:
Lord GabeN won as he should. The actual interesting thing here was that Firaxis got into second place beating everyone else at it. I totaly didnt expect that one.

IceForce said:
DarkhoIlow said:
No they are not. There are no rules. You vote for whoever you want. period.
While that true i think what they are saying that the spirit of the competition was to vote for devs who produced games in 2014 and only take into consideration the games made in 2014.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Darks63 said:
While that true i think what they are saying that the spirit of the competition was to vote for devs who produced games in 2014 and only take into consideration the games made in 2014.
They think it is, yes. They are wrong. People are to vote for whatever they want. there is no obligation to take time into consideration.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
DarkhoIlow said:
I like Valve, but this is just getting ridiculous and it happens every year.

You can say all you want, but Valve to me has become just the guys who run Steam and not a developer anymore. They really need to stop doing the "Blizzard route" and just release sequels of their games and make something new for a change if they still want to keep their "dev card" in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation#Games

valve has released atleast 1 game every year for the last 10 years, they are the definition of dev, it doesnt matter if they arent developing that sequel to a franchise everybody loves

personally id rather wait until valve feels confortable with a sequel than force it to rush it, i wouldnt want HL3/HL2:EP3 to become what Mass Effect 3 became for Mass Effect fans, no matter how much i have to wait! (tough id like to see the conclusion of HL2 within my lifetime of course)

TopazFusion said:
A fair few anti-Valve comments here.

If Valve are as disliked as some of the comments here would seem to suggest, why do they keep winning?
The comments here don't seem to match up with the votes.
i think people as just bitter because Valve always wins at everything

in my opinion if people want things to change, they should encourage all the other devs to stop being such tiny baby men and start making fantastic games, redefine the narrative structure of games forever, evolve the multiplayer scene of gaming constantly, establish stupidly fantastic pro-customer policies and create one of the first and to this day best digital distribution platforms around

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Ahh... this must be because of the incredible game Valve developed in the past year that everyone's still talking about.

Oh wait, no it's just because they have an army of ridiculous fanboys who would rather the studio never developed anything except a sales platform and some fucking hats for fear of tainting something that was massively over-rated in the first place. Yes, fuck you too, swamp section.

Gamer culture used to mean something positive, something progressive that even those of us who've grown up with it into middle age could be proud of. Now it just means being a child too closed-minded and insecure to open their eyes to new things. This is why we get sequels from established companies all the time. This is why studios play it safer and safer. Grow up.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Darks63 said:
It would make more sense to me, but it was very clear before voting that we were choosing the devs we liked the most, not because of what they have done lately. Actually, that wouldn't make sense because that type of competition should wait till the end of 2014.

And to all those people complaining, c'mon, I'm sure there are websites where the other devs usually win, and Valve does still deserve some love after all they've done.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
VulakAerr said:
Ahh... this must be because of the incredible game Valve developed in the past year that everyone's still talking about.
Yes, probably. That would be the game that had overwhelmingly positive reviews, won multiple awards, has millions of people playing it every month, and constantly breaks its own records for having the most people playing through Steam (which, as noted in Shamus' recent article, is the single biggest active gaming platform) at the same time.

It's fine to like DotA 2 yourself; personally I have absolutely no interest in the genre and have never even looked at that particular game. But it's simply ridiculous to pretend either that it doesn't exist, or that it's not insanely popular.

TheGamingClaptrap

Mar 15, 2011
Actually won something, :) Well, guessed correctly. Although honestly dont think Valve should of won. Maybe if they made HL3 they would deserve to win.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
DrStrangelove said:
Valve Crowned the Winner of March Mayhem 2014

March Mayhem 2014 has come to a close. There was only one winner and fifteen losers, see how your favorite developers fared.

March Mayhem 2014 has drawn to a close. We asked you, the reader, to choose which developers should be involved in the competion. You gave us eight independent, and eight AAA developers to pit against each other. You then had the opportunity to make your predictions and possibly get a fancy badge and a year-long subscription to our own Publisher's Club. It was finally time for the main attraction, voting on which developer deserved to move on to the next round. You made this competition happen and for that we say "Thank you!" Ultimately it came down to Valve and Firaxis, two giants in the industry, to fight it out. This was just the culmination of weeks of tension, many had fallen but these two companies weren't going down without a fight.

In the first round, Firaxis met against Nintendo, not the easiest way to start out. This may have waylaid many other developers, but Firaxis wasn't having it as they came out on top. Nintendo did put up a fight but not enough to topple the creator of 2013's wildly popular XCOM: Enemy Within. Firaxis brought Nintendo to its knees, and then beheaded it by garnering 57% of the vote. Valve, on the other hand, met now defunct Irrational Games in the first round. This battle would have been more spectacular if only Irrational Games still existed, but alas it did not.

Round two brought Valve against the only other company in the competition to have won March Mayhem twice, BioWare. This didn't go as expected as Valve just rolled over BioWare with 65% of the vote. Many expected this to be a closer competition but Valve wanted a decisive victory against their bitter rival. Round two was not much of competition for Firaxis. They met against the creator of Saints Row, Volition. Volition had created what many considered to be the game of 2013 with Saints Row IV but that wasn't enough to defeat this contender. Firaxis defeated Volition by a healthy margin.

The third round didn't look good for Firaxis. They were against the sleeper of the competition in Lucas Pope. Pope had already defeated GameFreak and Galactic Cafe, it looked like the creator of Papers, Please was on a roll. Firaxis was the one company that said no to Lucas Pope and his impending victory. Firaxis ended up getting 60% of the vote, leaving Lucas Pope in the dust. Valve was experiencing the same in their match-up with Telltale Games. Telltale was a number one contender for a reason, their Walking Dead series and The Wolf Among Us were critically acclaimed and quite popular with the kids. Valve ended up barely defeating Telltale Games in one of the nail-biters of March Mayhem 2014.

The final round between Valve and Firaxis was a heated one. These two behemoths of the industry finally meeting up in the finals, it felt like it was meant to be. The competition was stiff but Valve came out ahead in the end. Valve has now become the one and only three-time winner of March Mayhem.

We mentioned earlier that everyone was able to create a bracket, and the top ten users that had the most correct predictions of the tournament would receive a year of Publisher's Club [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/subscription/], and a fancy badge of honor.

Here we give you the top ten March Mayhem 2014 predictors:

[user]Browncoatsftw[/user]
[user]Ov3rdose[/user]
[user]Section Crow[/user]
[user]Ravshan Ergashev[/user]
[user]Comrade_Beric[/user]
[user]Andy Shandy[/user]
[user]Rituro[/user]
[user]ArcossG[/user]
[user]MiradorRyu[/user]
[user]guyliam103[/user]

Yay! A developer who hasn't developed anything new in 2 years wins a developer contest!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Looks like nothing's changed around here. Valve are good but they're not that good dammit.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
VulakAerr said:
You mean Dota and CS:GO? Two games that have enormous communities and massive tournaments year round? Yeah, NOBODY ever talks about them...

And besides, those are opposed to what? A semi-sequel to a strategy game all but a niche crowd barely even remembers having existed?[footnote]Just for clarity's sake, I actually thoroughly love the newest XCom games. It's one of the reasons I voted Firaxis so far into the tourney.[/footnote]

Oh yeah. Valve clearly stole this vote out of fanboyism only...

Oh wait, no it's just because they have an army of ridiculous fanboys who would rather the studio never developed anything except a sales platform and some fucking hats for fear of tainting something that was massively over-rated in the first place. Yes, fuck you too, swamp section.
Cute.

Now let's talk about that Mass Effect 3 ending...

Gamer culture used to mean something positive, something progressive that even those of us who've grown up with it into middle age could be proud of. Now it just means being a child too closed-minded and insecure to open their eyes to new things. This is why we get sequels from established companies all the time. This is why studios play it safer and safer. Grow up.
Classy finish. It's certainly the "grown up" way to react to others that hold differing opinions than you do.

TopazFusion said:
True, but still, Bioware has come second more times then Valve has come first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Escapist_(magazine)#March_Mayhem:_Developer.27s_Showdown

But no one ever seems to complain about that.
Well of course not! They actually like Bioware, so god forbid they complain about it incessantly dominating the competition just as much as Valve does.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well it's no surprise Valve won this year like the last 3 times they have, maybe a dev I actually like might have a slim 55 chance of winning next year perhaps?, nah that would be asinine and silly to have hope that someone different than Valve could possibly stand a chance to win next year let alone the few years after that, can't beat the overwhelming can do no wrong sentiments on here as the last page has beautifully shown towards differing users.