Valve Denies "Steam Box" Console Rumors

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Lancer873 said:
It's a data-gathering tool, not a gameplay-altering device.
Ah ha! They'll release it to the public and then gather data on us to sell to ZIONIST REPTILOID FREEMASONS!!!

*pulls on beanie with faraday mesh lining*

YOU WON'T STEAL MY THOUGHTS WITH YOUR SATELLITE MICROWAVES!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tanakh said:
Isn't that basically what the Xbox vanilla/360 and Wii are?
The 360 and the Wii CPUs use a PowerPC architecture not the x86 or x86-64 architecture that the CPU in a Windows machine does (or indeed the xbox did with it's custom PIII CPU).

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
The 360 and the Wii CPUs use a PowerPC architecture not the x86 or x86-64 architecture that the CPU in a Windows machine does (or indeed the xbox did with it's custom PIII CPU).
Yeah, quite standard RISC architecture, with UNIX, Linux, Mac OS and even a Windows running on it. Very common in "specialty PC" isn't it?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tanakh said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Yeah, quite standard RISC architecture, with UNIX, Linux, Mac OS and even a Windows running on it. Very common in "specialty PC" isn't it?
My bad, didn't realise you were using the proper definition of PC instead of the usual shorthand for 'windows x86 machine'.

Really depends on how you define 'Personal Computer' and then how 'specialty PC' works within that...

As for commonness of PowerPC CPUs in 'specialty PCs'... maybe... again depending on what devices get counted under the term because in terms of raw production numbers ARM architecture has it beat hands down.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012

You know it would fucking work too.
But anyway this is Valve. Even if they were working on it right now it would not come out till some time after the sun has cooled and reptile people have conquered humanity.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
As for commonness of PowerPC CPUs in 'specialty PCs'... maybe... again depending on what devices get counted under the term because in terms of raw production numbers ARM architecture has it beat hands down.
Yep, i am quite curious to see what a 64 bit register file coming with the next ARM will change in cellphones.

Anyway, my point was that most of the current consoles are just a specialty PC with standard components, and after what happened in the PS3 dev process i will assume that in the next gen ALL of them will be that, points extra to Nintendo's Wii for figuring out how to make a very succsesful box with such dated cheap components. I guess what the consoles developers focus is the OS and devlopment tools (that if i understand correctly are like low level game engines), but Valve would also need to do that, facing the challenge to make it compatible with the current steam without virtualization (not that hard for a company as big as Valve) and without risking lawsuits from MS(freaking hard for anyone but God, fucking copyright...).

Honestly i can't see a reason to say that making a "specialty PC with a fixed component set, designed primarily as a living room game box" is not making a console.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tanakh said:
Anyway, my point was that most of the current consoles are just a specialty PC with standard components,
Except that half the important components are custom versions of standard components. Not sure why they don't go to off-the-shelf components... but they're certain to have some reason for doing it beyond pissing on the chips of hardware tinkerers.

I'm pretty certain the use of non-x86 CPUs is to make emulation (or even straight out OS ripping) a massive pain in the arse.

and after what happened in the PS3 dev process i will assume that in the next gen ALL of them will be that, points extra to Nintendo's Wii for figuring out how to make a very succsesful box with such dated cheap components.
Didn't help Sony that there was also a bottleneck with blue laser diodes for the first 6 months of production.

As for Nintendo... they certainly made the right choice for themselves with the Wii's hardware. Not too sure about the WiiU, though. Seems as if they've decided to make up for the good sense of staying with cheap hardware by saddling it with a monstronsity of a controller... but hey, if people end up will to throw cash at them for it, good for Nintendo.

I guess what the consoles developers focus is the OS and devlopment tools (that if i understand correctly are like low level game engines), but Valve would also need to do that, facing the challenge to make it compatible with the current steam without virtualization (not that hard for a company as big as Valve) and without risking lawsuits from MS(freaking hard for anyone but God, fucking copyright...).
Dev Kits are mostly a bunch of tools for taking your code and assets and compiling/exporting them into forms the console OS can use.

Honestly i can't see a reason to say that making a "specialty PC with a fixed component set, designed primarily as a living room game box" is not making a console.
Well, from my POV, while it can be making a console it isn't the only possible outcome. It's also possible that Andy was using 'PC' as shorthand for 'x86 machine'.

For example, say I put together some fixed component mITX kit together for the purpose of being a 'living room game box'... Let's assume this monument to my poor judgement runs Win 7 and has Steam installed and only has/uses a wireless controller (via bluetooth), no kb or mouse. What have I made? (except for some poor decisions about the capabilities of fixed component mITX kit)

Is it a console or just a limited Windows box? A HTPC with delusions of granduer?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
Except that half the important components are custom versions of standard components. Not sure why they don't go to off-the-shelf components... but they're certain to have some reason for doing it beyond pissing on the chips of hardware tinkerers.

I'm pretty certain the use of non-x86 CPUs is to make emulation (or even straight out OS ripping) a massive pain in the arse.

For example, say I put together some fixed component mITX kit together for the purpose of being a 'living room game box'... Let's assume this monument to my poor judgement runs Win 7 and has Steam installed and only has/uses a wireless controller (via bluetooth), no kb or mouse. What have I made? (except for some poor decisions about the capabilities of fixed component mITX kit)

Is it a console or just a limited Windows box? A HTPC with delusions of granduer?
For the components i think its mostly to keep better control of the system, and maybe also to fit some small avoidable specific needs. As for the CPU, not quite sure, I have heard back in the day the pipeline in RISC allowed better parallelization, and that seems custom made for almost all the data processing a game requires; nowdays they probably could get away with CISC and maybe more RAM though, but that doesn't make sense, go to less efficciency and easier emulation? No way.

If your box can run games and has a video output, I would say a console. But i do think that this:

http://hacknmod.com/?s=portable+console

or this

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Portable-Game-System/

are also consoles. Heck, the original xbox is basically what you described.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
snippituy
This is strange, I distinctively rea on pcg that they didnt deny it, Esacapist "top quality jornalism" I suppose...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/09/steam-box-the-truth-direct-from-valve/

OFF TOPIC: the new captha is shit i have a oicture ofn a fucking octopus

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Well guess that means our wallets are safe from that. At least for the moment.

I'm not really sure I'd be interested in a steam box anyway. It does seem kind of redundant.
Ah, who am I kidding? Valve could take my money even if I hid it in the scrotum of a bull elephant.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Valve denies console rumours, millions assume holiday release.
This comment seems pretty accurate I'd say. All Valve had to do was make an off the cuff comment that if they ever felt their was anything they wanted to do that required proprietary hardware they'd consider making it, and one discovered patent filing later (possibly discovered because someone was hoping to find they were already working on hardware) you've got rumours of a Steam console. But they had already all but said they weren't making one right now in the original interviews where they mentioned the future possibility.

I'm really not sure why anyone was buying this to begin with, or perhaps more importantly, why the original interview (which I saw on, I believe, Gamasutra weeks ago) was never more widely reported in response to said rumours.

Oh yeah, now I remember, exciting rumours get more traffic than dashed hopes.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Vivi22 said:
I'm really not sure why anyone was buying this to begin with, or perhaps more importantly, why the original interview (which I saw on, I believe, Gamasutra weeks ago) was never more widely reported in response to said rumours.
People will believe such unsubstantiated rumours because THEY ARE STUPID. When not bitching that Commander Sheppard has the wrong coloured hat and that Bioware should die a thousand deaths most Escapist posters are believing any rumour involving Valve, no matter how stupid it is.

HEY GUYS, GABE NEWELL IS RUMOURED TO BE BUILDING A NEW SUN. THIS IS SURELY PROOF THAT HALF LIFE 3 WILL BE OUT NEXT YESTERDAY.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
That's a shame. I was really hoping there was a good possibility of this happening. We'll see how long this stance lasts. Maybe we'll get them to deny their denial by E3?
Probably not. If they were to do this, it would basically be a Netflix box, and their servers commonly get over-burdened. So doing this would fuck up the PC users with all the new Console users with the lag.

I mean, just be realistic people. Valve does not have infinite bandwith and download speeds of Hermes, so using the service would be horrendous because of download lag. It would also destroy the main sword of PC gaming, which is Valve's Steam service.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I would like a Steam Box, provided future PC games would be optimized for it. I'm tired of basically rolling a dice to see if my computers parts all work with a game in the way they're supposed to.

Mar 5, 2011
I think this is a smoke screen to distract from the Half Life 3 ARG.

Podunk said:
I would like a Steam Box, provided future PC games would be optimized for it. I'm tired of basically rolling a dice to see if my computers parts all work with a game in the way they're supposed to.
Fiddling with PC settings and components is half the fun of PC gaming. Or at least for me it is.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Yeah, I'd tap that. I think they could pull it off too. Not just that, but release a console that doesn't suffer some major recall because power cords are bursting into flames or something equally ridiculous, like direct-download service you have to pay subscription fees for.

Of course if they got started now they'd have it out by like, 2018. But it would totally kill the XBox-117 (because you know they're gonna try to name a future console that), the PlayStation 5, and the Nintendo/Sega joint console, the Weep.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh thank goodness, there was a little part of me that half-believed it >.>. On the brighter side, if one ever comes out it will probably be delayed.
Toilet said:
The Steam Box is a really boring name at best they should call it "Steam Machine" or the "Gabecube".
Steaaaaam...machiiiiine...